+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Pcounter Rules in Technical; We are currently using a pool queue which prints to a number of colour printers. We have set two print ...

Thank Post

Pcounter Rules

We are currently using a pool queue which prints to a number of colour printers. We have set two print queues up for Black & White and Colour. The idea being the user will select the appropriate queue based on what they want. The user can then go and collect the print from whichever printer is closest. As it's a Colour printer the default is set to BW but the user can change that if they want to colour and print. I've put a rule in place on the BW Printer queue which should delete any colour print but it is not working. If I put the rule directly on the printer it works fine, just not on the printer queue. Am I doing it wrong?
    Last edited by penfold; 8th May 2014 at 02:46 PM.

Thank Post
    *bump* anyone?

Edit: I've updated the printer driver and changed it from PCL6 to 5 with no difference on the rule so I assume it is something to do with how it is processing the job in the pool queue.
    Last edited by penfold; 8th May 2014 at 02:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quick question - is the mono print queue just using a mono driver or could you change it to colour?

I ask because of a recent issue I had when setting up our trial where I set up the colour and mono price defaults and applied to all the printers and when printing to a mono printer the colour price was charged. Might be something similar because if it is fixed to one it may well not be detecting that it has colour.

Thank Post
    The Printer is using a colour driver but the defaults are set to BW. It is charging (and printing) correctly so it is detecting the colour & BW jobs but the rules that are being applied do not seem to be taking effect on the Pool Queue. Basically I want the job to be assessed at the pool queue NOT at the printer the job is released on. If the rule is applied to the printer directly it works, if the rule is applied on the Pool queue it seems to be ignored and then the job is passed to the printer which prints in colour

I'm not sure I am explaining myself well. Basically I want

User sends print to BW Queue> Job goes to Printer Pool queue> Rules are Applied (delete colour jobs)>User goes to printer and releases print.

The above rule works when using the printer directly but not when the Pool Queue is used.

Alternatively can I force the printer to only print in BW?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I might not be getting it either which probably isn't helping, however....

Do you not need to apply the delete colour job rule at the BW Queue before it even reaches the Printer Pool queue? I probably don't understand PCounter enough to comment as we're only trialing it at the moment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    I might not be getting it either which probably isn't helping, however....

Do you not need to apply the delete colour job rule at the BW Queue before it even reaches the Printer Pool queue? I probably don't understand PCounter enough to comment as we're only trialing it at the moment.
    That's where the rule is, the BW Queue is the Pool queue (we have 2 pool queue - BW & Colour for easier printing). For some reason it is not working. I would have thought the rule goes on the BW pool queue (delete colour job) and then it doesn't even get passed to the printer in the first place. For some reason it just allows the print job through. The pool queue does seem to process the job as it is set to give a pop up for the user which calculates the number of pages and cost which works. It even calculates the cost for colour so it is detecting the job as colour, it's just not applying the rule.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread