+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Backing up Hyper-V Physical host in Technical; Please can anyone let me know what software they are using to backup their Hyper-V Physical hosts when they are ...
    Thank Post

Backing up Hyper-V Physical host

Please can anyone let me know what software they are using to backup their Hyper-V Physical hosts when they are part of a cluster.

We use Veeam to backup all VM's in the cluster which works well and have been using DPM to backup the hosts but since I applied some Windows updates during the Easter holidays to the hosts in the cluster DPM has been throwing up some VSS errors on the hosts and even causing the cluster service to stop on certain hosts failing the VM's to another host. I have had enough of DPM now and the way certain updates break it and need to change software before I go mad.

Can anyone suggest anything other than DPM for backing up the physical hosts that's works well with a cluster?

Cheers

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Maybe i'm missing something but why would you backup a physical host?

Surely its easier just to have a spare empty physical host ready to take any VM's restored using Veeam?

Thank Post
    Hi @zag your not really missing much, I guess its just for disaster recovery. We have 4 hosts and all the VM's could easily go on 3 without any issues at the moment. I guess it would save time though if the Host OS went corrupt for whatever reason and instead of rebuilding the server with all the configs and drivers, updates etc from scratch I could just blow an image and get backup and running?

So do you use Hyper-V or VMWare? Cheers

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lmgtfy View Post
    Hi @zag your not really missing much, I guess its just for disaster recovery. We have 4 hosts and all the VM's could easily go on 3 without any issues at the moment. I guess it would save time though if the Host OS went corrupt for whatever reason and instead of rebuilding the server with all the configs and drivers, updates etc from scratch I could just blow an image and get backup and running?

So do you use Hyper-V or VMWare? Cheers
    We use Hyper-V here.

Our disaster recovery procedure is designed to simply move VM's to spare host if we had a catastrophic failure of a physical machine.

I'd always recommend having a spare host set-up on-line to take the weight of any VM's, but you could also move them to another working host if there is enough capacity.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    We use Hyper-V here.

Our disaster recovery procedure is designed to simply move VM's to spare host if we had a catastrophic failure of a physical machine.

I'd always recommend having a spare host set-up on-line to take the weight of any VM's, but you could also move them to another working host if there is enough capacity.
    We use Hyper-V and do basically the same. We have 2 hosts running different VMs. Each backs up its VMs to an ISCSI connected QNAP. If one were to go down we would just bring up the VMs on the other host. Although both 'live' hosts neither is currently taxed too much with VMs.

Thank Post
    Surely some people backup their physical hosts though?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread