+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, filtering problematic search engines in Technical; As some of you maybe aware some search engines are easier to filter than others. we use Dans Guardian here ...
    Thank Post

filtering problematic search engines

As some of you maybe aware some search engines are easier to filter than others. we use Dans Guardian here and I'm having real problems filtering ask.com.

couple of year 11 boys have now realised images are unfiltered.Not sure how much of a problem it is yet, only just been told about it or even if its just the images section which is the real problem or just part of it.

for now its blocked until i get around to the finer details of what needs to be done about it, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to filter out even simple things like adult content on/off like googles safe search.

Anyone got any ideas or already have some banned expressions/phrases i could steal from you?

thanks
    Gaz

Thank Post

Re: filtering problematic search engines

I dont think there is any sure fire way to cut out all the dodgy results from search engines,but you could block the image search section. If it is bringing results which are inapropriate for school, then your best interest would be to block the site. Try blocking uk.ask.com/pictures. That is what we do with google images as there were far too many ways of getting round the security settings. We tend to encourage people to use picsearch as its content is more child friendly, but even this is not foolproof.

I think it comes down to classroom monitoring though to ensure pupils are not breaking the AUP by trying to access things they shouldn't be.

Thank Post

Re: filtering problematic search engines

We're having fun with Google and Altavista. Google has a PDA renderer built into it now that the kids have found bypasses bloxx filtering, and AltaVista has the "page translator"...they're using that to access sites now.

Heh. Little sods.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread