+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Moving users home folders to new server in Technical; I'm trying to move our user's home folders over to a new server. Going from a 2008 to 2012R2 system. ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Moving users home folders to new server

I'm trying to move our user's home folders over to a new server. Going from a 2008 to 2012R2 system.

Currently the user home drive (N is mapped to an invidual share for the user (ie. \\oldserver\fregblogs) - but I've never liked the whole individual share for each user so going down the route of (\\newserver\2013\fredblogs) on the new server. The year being their intake year which is the root share. The permissions are all set (Share and NTFS).

We use Folder redirection for My Docs, etc and it all points nicely to their home drive. Initial testing looks ok, I'm copying over all the necessary files from one server to the other (using Beyond Compare, ensuring NTFS permissions come across, etc), use a different GPO for the new folder locations and ensure that the home drive path is set to the new location in AD. I logon and all files and folder direction seem ok.... except there is a problem.... If there is a local profile of that user already on the client machine, the My Documents folder redirection doesn't work - it shows an error in the event log...

Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Documents" to \\newserver\2013\fredblogs.
    Redirection options=0x9000.

The following error occurred: "Folder can not move because there is non redirectable folder at the same path".

Error details: "Access is denied.".
    If it is a new user on the client, then folder redirection works no problem and all is working as I expect.

Bit baffled by it all. Any thoughts?

Pete

Thank Post
    Hey

Just seen this post and I had exactly the same issue last week when I had to rebuild complete a disaster recovery and repoint all my group policy settings to an alternative server .

...need to start using DFS namespace really

Not 100 % sure if this will work but I would be checking these things :

Make sure that you are not moving the items from the old to the new location

on the Settings tab of the folder redirection , uncheck 'Move the content of % to the new location'

Do a GPupdate /force and try again

I think this is used only if you use offline files ?

Let me know how you get on. I'm happy to check my GPO's in the morning .

3. Thanks to bharvey from:

FragglePete (9th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bharvey View Post
    Hey

Just seen this post and I had exactly the same issue last week when I had to rebuild complete a disaster recovery and repoint all my group policy settings to an alternative server .

...need to start using DFS namespace really

Not 100 % sure if this will work but I would be checking these things :

Make sure that you are not moving the items from the old to the new location

on the Settings tab of the folder redirection , uncheck 'Move the content of % to the new location'

Do a GPupdate /force and try again

I think this is used only if you use offline files ?

Let me know how you get on. I'm happy to check my GPO's in the morning .
    I'm moving the user in AD to a new OU with a modified GPO while testing. The new GPO with the new server locations has that option unchecked, but the existing GPO I believe doesn't. I'll take a look at that when I'm back in the office tomorrow. But may have to modify the existing GPO first but just annoying. I could wait until the Summer and do the migration then I guess as we'll be rebuilding all machines around the school but I really planned to do this over Easter.

I appreciate any help.

Pete

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Would appear that is indeed the problem. The ''Move the content of % to the new location'' was checked on the existing GPO. I've tweaked that particular GPO on a new test user, logged in, logged out, copied everything over, moved to the new OU with the new GPO and everything redirected fine. While this fixes the issue, it doesn't solve my problem with all the existing students and staff that have local profiles registered on machines around the school. The danger is that My Documents won't redirect for a user who has an existing profile and they getting weired error messages and saving stuff in wrong locations. My options are now to wait until the next half term; users will get the tweaked original GPO that will then allow the redirection to happen when we move them over at the next break. Or, somehow delete all local profiles on all machines now; get all machines powered up and running and run a script.

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread