+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Creating Shortcuts for 32 and 64 bit computers in Technical; Originally Posted by witch Not sure when 64 bit will be seen as the norm in the far reaches of ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Not sure when 64 bit will be seen as the norm in the far reaches of junior school education, I have over 120 computers at one of my schools and currently I have 5 64 bit laptops and one 64 bit desktop.
    Oh? Primary here with same number of machines here and all but a couple are 64 bit. What's the issue with moving to 64 bit?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Oh? Primary here with same number of machines here and all but a couple are 64 bit. What's the issue with moving to 64 bit?
    same here unless the hardware wont take it as far as im concerned windows 7 is a 64 bit os unly x86 pcs are old ones that cant run x64 again primary schools

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can you create Junction points in a script and push them out to all of the x64 machines?

Thank Post
    Be aware the 64bit item level targeting doesnt work on win 7 x64 without a hotfix.

Group Policy preference item-level targeting does not work for 64-bit versions of Windows 7

We have a redirect start menu for each room so we know where the 32bit pcs are.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Call me old, but I still prefer to use VB for this stuff.

Code:
    Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

strAllDesktopPath = WshShell.SpecialFolders("AllUsersDesktop")
    strUserDesktopPath = WshShell.SpecialFolders("Desktop")

If GetObject("winmgmts:root\cimv2:Win32_Processor='cpu0'").AddressWidth = 64 Then
    	strProgramFilesPath = "C:\Program Files (x86)"
    Else
    	strProgramFilesPath = "C:\Program Files"
    End If

On Error Resume Next

If objFSO.FileExists(strUserDesktopPath & "\My Shortcut.lnk") Then
    Else
    	Set objShortcutUrl = WshShell.CreateShortcut(strUserDesktopPath & "\My Shortcut.lnk")
    	objShortcutUrl.TargetPath = strProgramFilesPath & "\" & "My Program" & "\" & "Program.exe"
    	objShortcutUrl.WorkingDirectory = strProgramFilesPath & "\" & "My Program"
    	objShortcutUrl.IconLocation = strProgramFilesPath & "\" & "My Program" & "\" & "Program.exe,0"
    	objShortcutUrl.Save
    End If
    I just tossed this together, so it needs to be tested.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We had 2 redirected start menus when we had a mix. One for x86 and the other for x64. You can separate the group policy that enforces them with a WMI filter.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    At some point though, 128-bit or more will start becoming the norm, so you'll then have
    I doubt we will need 128-bit OSs and processors in our lifetimes. If someone requires more than 4 Pebibytes of RAM in a single computer, it would be far easier to buy another computer and network them together.

In my opinion I think Microsoft got things the wrong way around.
    Not at all. The "Program Files" folder is reserved for native programs only. Non-native programs go in a different folder because at some point in the future, Microsoft will remove support for them (as they did with 16-bit apps on 64-bits OSs).

64-bit versions of Windows have two folders for application files; 'Program Files' folder serves as the default installation target for native (in this case 64-bit) programs, while the 'Program Files (x86)' folder is the default installation target for non-native (in this case x86-32) programs. While 64-bit Windows versions also have a %ProgramFiles(x86)% environment variable, the dirids/CSIDLs are not different for 32-bit/64-bit; the setup/shell APIs merely return different results, depending on whether the calling process is native or not.

To be backwards compatible with the 8.3 limitations of the old File Allocation Table file names, the names 'Program Files', 'Program Files (x86)' and 'Common Program Files' are shortened by the system to progra~N and common~N, where N is a digit, a sequence number that on a clean install will be 1 (or 1 and 2 when both 'Program Files' and 'Program Files (x86)' are present). (Source)
    We then wouldn't need to 'faff' with WMI filters as much.
    My school is 100% 64-bit. No faffing required!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post
    Call me old, but I still prefer to use VB for this stuff.
    You're old!

I use a modified* version of @jklight's PowerShell script to do our Start Menu. Copying shortcuts into a folder is far easier than having to modify a script each time you want to add another program. Since the script automatically deletes shortcuts that do not exist, you could put both 32-bit and 64-bit shortcuts in the same folder (although obviously they can't have the same name).

Btw, wouldn't your script set "strProgramFilesPath" to the wrong location if it was run on a PC with a 64-bit processor and a 32-bit OS? Surely you should be checking the OS architecture rather than the processor architecture?

Code:
    If GetObject("winmgmts:root\cimv2:Win32_Processor='cpu0'").AddressWidth = 64 Then
    	strProgramFilesPath = "C:\Program Files (x86)"
    Else
    	strProgramFilesPath = "C:\Program Files"
    End If
    * The script I am using is different from the one posted in the linked thread. It has several improvements like removing empty folders that do not contain any shortcuts and uses the existing Start Menu folder rather than create a new one.

9. Thanks to Arthur from:

Duke5A (3rd April 2014)

Thank Post
    I cheated and just made a symlink of "Program files (x86)" on our 32bit machines, gets around this easily :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    My school is 100% 64-bit. No faffing required!
    This is why I try and standardise across 32Bit or 64Bit rather than mixing environments, but sometimes it's not always possible - hence the need for filtering.

Still - If Microsoft used Program Files for existing 32Bit processes and Program Files (x64) for new 64Bit processes, even in a mixed environment; because the 32Bit process would be in the same directory on both platforms, it would have made things considerably easier this way.

When (at some point) 128Bit OSes and processes come about, Microsoft would (in theory) rename Program Files again... it's just a bit messy doing it this way.

Thank Post
    I create a GPO to set a variable on machines of %ProgramFiles% to C:\Program Files (x86) then in the shortcuts point them to %ProgramFiles%\dir\.exe

On a 64bit machines the GPO variable does not overwrite that on the machine so %ProgramFiles% still point to C:\Program Files.

Seems to work even though on theory it shouldn't!

So the same icon works on both machines.

Thank Post
    Its something we are in the midst at on our site at the moment going completely 64 bit, it is a headache especially with things like the start menus, I had considered the start menus redirects and WMI filters, but I have to work out where our LEA are at with our start menu redirections first.

Going 64 bit site wide is not without its problems too, the latest I am seeing are issues with our USB to Serial connectors for our machines and their interactive whiteboards, going 64 bit for us means that there are no decent drivers or support for these cables so I have had to revert some machines back to the stable 32 bit win 7 atm until we can look at ordering better alternatives as the supposed stable drivers either dont work with 64 bit, or cause multiple crashes and blue screens (their a necessary evil the cables for us seeing as our machines from a certain "rock" supplier, dont have serial ports on them).

Thank Post
    At some point though, 128Bit or more will start becoming the norm, so you'll then have:

C:\Program Files
    C:\Program Files (x86)
    C:\Program Files (x64)

Program Files would be renamed again for 64Bit processes.

If they did what I suggested, it would be consistent across all versions of Windows concerned. Program Files wouldn't need to be renamed either!

C:\Program Files
    C:\Program Files (x64)
    C:\Program Files (x128)
    C:\Program Files (x256) etc..
    Lol 256 bit Windows for those who need 2^256-1 RAM

I would honestly hope that MS have dropped 32bit support by then!

Where I work we are entirely x64, no ill effects, although I no longer work in a school so don't have to see the 16bit wonders from SEN anymore!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    No issue other than the fact that most of my computers are a good couple of years off replacement - when I am sure they will be 64 bit - but it will be a way down the line.

I did ask for a simple solution - not getting it really.
    So far if I create two shortcuts - one pointing at Program Files and one at Program Files (x86) it does seem to work. Which seems a bit simple given all the stuff you have all been saying...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snagrat View Post
    I create a GPO to set a variable on machines of %ProgramFiles% to C:\Program Files (x86) then in the shortcuts point them to %ProgramFiles%\dir\.exe

On a 64bit machines the GPO variable does not overwrite that on the machine so %ProgramFiles% still point to C:\Program Files.

Seems to work even though on theory it shouldn't!

So the same icon works on both machines.
    I got his wrong as it was late.

Create a GPO that sets an Windows Environment of programfiles(x86) and value C:\Program Files.

Then point shortcuts to %programfiles(x86)%\dir\.exe

Give it ago. Once setup it just works.

Thanks
    Andrew

17. Thanks to snagrat from:

witch (3rd April 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast