Poll: Are you:

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Quitting in Technical; has anyone ever walked out of their job? What came of it? Is it a bad thing to do?? Should ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quitting

has anyone ever walked out of their job?

What came of it?

Is it a bad thing to do?? Should I work through the tough times and just get on with it?

Thank Post

Re: Quitting

I never waled out, but I did once never go back.

I'd been there 4 days working for an agency in a bank, got this job so didn't go back to the bank or work my notice.

Got a phonecall saying I had to and I was like, well what if I don't? Turns out nothing.

I wouldn't say it's a good thing to do but at the same time, if the people youre working with/for aren't being reasonable or nice then why should you?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

it's sometimes the people but mostly the job... my skills aren't being used and i'm never challenged anymore. :-(

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts

@Joanne - If it's any consolation we all have good days and bad days, but to be honest it really depends what your reason(s) are.

Remember that legally you can apply for as many jobs as you like and go for visits (by appointment) for your interview or site visit etc... Your establishment will then know you wish to move on and occasionally, may give you an offer. It might be a financial incentive or of course an adjustment on your responsibilities.

My advice ultimately (whatever your position is), is don't walk out. You'll put yourself in the wrong, your union can do little to help you and it'll give whoever you work for ammunition to use against you! Seek advice from your union (if necessary) and get applying for those jobs. You have nothing to lose!

Thank Post

Time for a new challenge then. Wouldn't just walk out because that could cause problems later on if you ever need references, etc.

Thank Post

It's hard to comment without knowing more about the situation.

Is there not new initiatives that you could get started?
    New services that you can identify a need for which aren't being met?
    Ideas you want to get realised?
    Things you have experience of using that don't exist there which could well be beneficial you could get installed?

I don't think job dissatisfaction is enough justification for just walking out. Looking for new places and leaving fair enough, but unless your position is untenable it would be selfish to just up and leave when it's not their fault.

PM me if you'd like to talk more privately.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I did apply for some and I got told by the head that everyone is replaceable (which made me feel good)....

I thought I had done well in an interview at a primary school, but they told me I didn't have a passion for working with children (so true) and that I couldn't give an example of leading a project (which is hard when you are the bottom of the pile)

I figure that I should wait and get more experience so I can have a better chance at a better job and more money... I think I'm just being impatient.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts

@Joanne - I know exactly what you mean about challenges. That's why I resigned from my job a year ago and now I am self employed, working for multiple schools, the general public and small businesses.

My reasons were that I had no professional development, nothing to aim higher for and I'm one of these people who's never satisfied. I seek knowledge and more experience. It was the best decision I made.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@mrforgetful:

well the situation we are in at the mo: most of the computers are new and rarely go wrong... all the servers are pretty new too.
    I did a survey last week for customer satisfaction and everyone is satisfied.

Also... about leaving people in the lurch... it would be partially their fault. I get all the sh*tty jobs that they can't be bothered to do even if I'm allready doing something... they will ask me to do it instead of just going themselves.

If i ever get an oppertunity to go to a primary school my network manager says I can't go even though I could. I get left on my own on a regular basis to run the school and it's easy. nothing to do!!

Thank Post

Hmmm..

Does sound like the position you've been placed in is 'dogs body we want to give crap jobs to so we dont have to and dont want to give her anything better'.

In which case I'd just start looking elsewhere, they can't stop you leaving but as mentioned earlier, you'll need a reference at the next place, 'she walked' doesn't look good at all, but 'I was tremendously unhappy, not appreciated and no satisfactio nbut I stayed until I found this so they werne' in the lurch' looks a lot better.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

and I got told by the head that everyone is replaceable (which made me feel good)....
    Thats because they are. If you go through life thinking that your not then well........

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I know that I am replaceable... it's just that the replacement might not be as good! The only way they could get better is to up the salary... a lot!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

t's just that the replacement might not be as good!
    Thats not your problem. It's the schools.
    You need to think of number one in this case - and thats you / your family if you have one.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

just remember that if you are irreplaceable then you'll never be promoted.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    and I got told by the head that everyone is replaceable (which made me feel good)....
    Thats because they are. If you go through life thinking that your not then well........
    True but it's hardly something a decent headteacher would say unless they need to go on a course re: "Motivating your staff 101" which the muppet in question probably would have to retake!

@Joanne: TBH, I'd look at improving your skillset, getting some training (even if it's in your own time) and when you have what people are looking for elsewhere, hand in your notice and don't look back.

It might take a bit of time but given the situation you've described they're not exactly falling over themselves to keep you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information