Poll: Are you:

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
How do you do....it? Thread, Quitting in Technical; I didn't do uni after A-levels... i went and did nvq 3 and city and guilds crap something about computers ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Quitting

I didn't do uni after A-levels... i went and did nvq 3 and city and guilds crap something about computers and networks :P

I think I shall be setting up a test network as soon as I can make some room under the bench for the machines.

Good ol' virtual pc!

Thank Post

Joanne........ grab yourself a copy of VMware Server its free and you will learn more relevant skills playing with that than virtual PC.

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by djm968
    Joanne........ grab yourself a copy of VMware Server its free and you will learn more relevant skills playing with that than virtual PC.

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/
    With you on that djm968, VMware is a much better product.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

thanks... i'll have a lookie see. Just need to grab a couple of old machines from the store room and hook 'em up to my 3rd monitor :-P first.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hi Joanne

My short pm's with you and this thread does lead me to conclusion that you need to get out sooner rather than later. But as previous posts don't walk out have something else lined up/sorted etc first.

Also not sure of personnel life but it maybe way to get out of current situation is to find another job but it maybe taking slight paycut. But depending on things if got nothing stopping you doing that like childcare bills and other bills then maybe this is time to do it.

I am great believer and have recommended this before of the 5 year plan and for all the new members the russdev method of 5 year plans is as follows :-

Write

In position 5 write where you want to be in 5 years in terms of jobs and responsibilities .

Then in 4 write what you need to be doing in year 4 to get to year 5 and so on down to year 1.

Then

write

In position 1 write what resources/training you need to achieve year 1's aim.

Then do same for 2 through to 5.

I will be more than happy to help in any way I can be that an ear to bash or advice etc as said feel free to pm me.

Russell

Thank Post

One thing to consider could be to use VMWare Converter to take virtual images of existing servers, and run them on VMWare Server... that way you could be experimenting with AD and so-on, however you'd have to make sure that you change domains or ip addresses or the like to not cause any collisions with the real server... you could even "argue" that by making virtual images of the servers, it allows for an emergency backup in case of hardware problems?

The best bet is to make use of the downtime to push other developments... old PCs can be turned into a terminal client by installing 2x or windows 98 and replacing explorer.exe with mstsc.exe, which could mean rolling out more desktops to staff/classrooms? or make a cut-down windows xp build, that can run on older hardware to achieve the same? Perhaps investigate ways of increasing the use of data projectors, or smart boards, or better power saving methods, or increased backups.... anything that saves money is usually a good thing to look into, too... Perhaps desiging an intranet to distribute daily notices or timetables or the like?

If you come up with a useful idea and write up a proposal of what and how, then perhaps you will be able to implement it as well? Especially if you can show you fit it in around your other tasks...

in terms of training, there is often a lot of "free" courses that are run by various companies, from VMWare to Microsoft... it doesn't hurt to dig around and do some of them, even if they only are used as a "come to our free one, get the basics and then we'll try to sell you the really expensive course to give you a deeper knowledge of the same thing"...

Thank Post
    MS Virtual PC 2005 is best I've found.

I got paid really bad at first, bout the same as a cleaner, they ended up paying though the nose when the bursar went over to EPM for salaries. Ended up at the top of the payscale in bout 3 yrs.. I've move from a school to a LA. So can't really comment on pay here. Not great, but at least I'm likely to get a pay increase this yr!

Still was looking at jobs outside London, £24k compared to £18k in a school. 1 school in the same town was offering £14k for someone with a MCSE!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny_nunny View Post
    Time for a new challenge then. Wouldn't just walk out because that could cause problems later on if you ever need references, etc.
    Employers aren't allowed to give negative references anymore. You may not be painted as an Angel, but you defiantly wont be painted as a Devil.

Thank Post
    Just found out that as of September my services are no longer needed. Strange thing is I am really happy about it.

I think the fact that I don't want the job must have come across in the interview.

Yep me and the other techie had to be interviewed for our own jobs. They let it until now to do them even though they knew in April the school was out of cash and one of us would have to go!

Oh well back to Uni for my masters then. So I guess the best way to quit is to apply for the job in my case. Just a shame I didn't get the job so I could inform them where they could place their job!!!!

Last edited by new-2-this; 11th July 2008 at 10:58 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information