Poll: Are you:

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Quitting in Technical; I agree with Broc use your spare time to delve into your current system and to experiment with new and ...
    Thank Post

Re: Quitting

I agree with Broc use your spare time to delve into your current system and to experiment with new and better ways to do things.

I had some spare time the other week during assessment week and managed to install a couple of programs via group policies and to create a few msi's, not done it before due to time constraints and a steep learning curve (well for me anyway). Cheered me up no end.

But, at the risk of sounding like a worried parent, it's a very tiring and can be depressing time of year so don't make any rash decisions and burn all your bridges. Whilst you're employed it's easier to get another job you need a good reference to get a better job.
    Our local college does MCP courses have a look to see what you're can offer, they're usually quite cheap, also check out your LEA they also run courses.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

i've asked the SMT if they can find some cash to get me on the lancaster course for the certificate in microsoft technoilogies....

Thing with the implementing new ideas... i'm a little restricted (RM!!) THERE I SAID IT!! So not too many things I can really mess around with. My main job for the day is clearing dust out of machines....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ooh just got asked to create a package! my day gets brighter!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

In which ways specifically is RM restrictive?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I tried doing a linux print server and failed oh so miserably. I used ubuntu though... suppose that would make a difference?

I'm not allowed to do a lot of things on account of being 3rd out of 3. I get told to do all the crappidy jobs first!

RM is resrictive in the way of I get shouted at if i mess with AD... gotta do everything through management console!

I might rig up a test network next week... prolly test what i remember from what i learnt in June!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrbb
    I had some spare time the other week during assessment week and managed to install a couple of programs via group policies and to create a few msi's, not done it before due to time constraints and a steep learning curve (well for me anyway). Cheered me up no end.
    I'm so jealous: that is the next step for me too but I never have enough time to have a fiddle with them.Did you use all the msis?

As for Joanne - don't walk out of your job - it is never a good idea.
    There are jobs out there - I got one as a lone primary tech 6 years ago with no experience whatsoever (I was an electronics engineer in a previous life but was self taught with computers). I don't work with the children, which is good as I either bark like a sargeant major or giggle with them in corners - I'm no teacher.
    There are lots of resources on the web - tutorials about networking and the like that may help you learn a bit more while you are sitting with nothing to do. You could look at the 'how to's' on this forum and the wiki which will all help you get a better grasp of what is going on.
    Hang on in there - and keep applying!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

i have applied for some with no feedback whatsoever. People look at my age (21) and think i can't possibly have enough experience (in my 4th year)

I'll keep looking for suitable ones anyways!

Thanks everybody again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

Joanne - you like music ? Have a listen to Billy Joel's 'Piano Man'

Thank Post

Witch
    I'm so jealous: that is the next step for me too but I never have enough time to have a fiddle with them.Did you use all the msis?
    I used photostory which came with it's msi anyway, I used the media player custom thingy to create an installation msi that works straight away for all users, none of this first time you use it you have to accept lic, decide which files it associates with and tell it your inside leg measurement. I've done adobe reader the same but used purgos to install that one.

I created an ou for the suite computers and added the msi's to group policy.

Thank Post

Joanne, im not so sure your age has much to do with it. I think the best thing you could do would be to try and get some spare time to learn as much as you can. Virtual servers are always a good place to start, you cant go wrong with them. And if you do its an easy fix.
    Ive been a network manager for just over a year now (since i was 21), i just taught myself as much as possible inbetween the crappy jobs while i was a technician.

aliv25

Wow, some edugeeks my age (21) :-)

@Joanne:
    I was told by my university placement tutor to sign up to the British Computer Society, it only costs £20 (if your a student) and you have a lot of resources to help you find your career path. Its worth looking at. www.bcs.org

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

I don't remember the ages of 18 to 22 really - I think I was constantly drunk and doing stuff I shouldn't have.....

aliv25

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    I don't remember the ages of 18 to 22 really - I think I was constantly drunk and doing stuff I shouldn't have.....
    Yes, a lot of that has happened in the past 2 years. now im on work placement and still live close to my uni, that happens during the evenings :-) Bring on final year!!!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne
    has anyone ever walked out of their job?

What came of it?

Is it a bad thing to do?? Should I work through the tough times and just get on with it?
    Are you insane ? Walking out on your job is the worst thing you can do for your future career prospects. Look for another job, do all you can to secure a better position and tidy up any loose ends at work. Hopefully you're current employer will have noticed your contribution in the job and provide a good reference. You'll have to hang around for a couple of months but once you know you're immediate future has been secured elsewhere you'll probably enjoy you're last few weeks in the job.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne
    i have applied for some with no feedback whatsoever. People look at my age (21) and think i can't possibly have enough experience (in my 4th year)

I'll keep looking for suitable ones anyways!

Thanks everybody again.
    I'll try and offer you some constructive advice;

You're age isn't an issue, at 21 you're the right side of 20 for any prospective employer. 4 years is more than enough work experience.
    The issue might be what you've learned and accomplished in those 4 years. I really empathise with you're predicament, not being allowed to break and experiment with systems is terribly restrictive. I had a year of being an 'understudy' absorbing what I could in between changing the tapes and closing the bulk of the second line calls, while at the same time being shielded from the more complex stuff by more senior members of staff who were happy for me to do the hod carrying, and I was damn happy and felt priviledged to be part of the team.

Now I'm in charge of the systems and have a great deal of freedom. What would help you is a job where you're allowed a certain amount of freedom.
    Failing that take responsibility for your own learning and setup some test systems, at home if you have to, and start messing around with Windows server, Linux (I know nothing about Linux and am working to correct that) some old cisco kit or whatever piques you're interest.

The CCNA is a great place to start in terms of study - if you can run that parallel to some MCSA courses you'll be set, a job in a medium sized support team is also a good place to start (where you can see best practice in action) and can figure out what the various servers do and how the comms systems are wired. You don't have to be brilliant just have an inquisitive mind and the luck of being in the right environment to learn. Where you are now definitely isn't, I would argue a break out of the school environment and a year in another org will prepare to take up a network management position in a smaller school or learning centre a year from now. I landed a network managers job after just one years industrial placement for an SME and rubbish degree. Anything is possible.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information