Poll: Are you:

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Quitting in Technical; thanks for everyones supportive messages! I've decided I am going to stay and in the background start doing some little ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Quitting

thanks for everyones supportive messages! I've decided I am going to stay and in the background start doing some little jobs on the side like removing viruses, spyware etc. and maybe think about starting my own business. It won't be easy, but nothing is. Even if that fails I will definitely be putting in for some training come april (I've had my quota for this year!!)...

more training better quals!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

I've decided I am going to stay and in the background start doing some little jobs on the side like removing viruses, spyware etc. and maybe think about starting my own business.
    Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Good luck.
    I still remove viruses etc now - but for FREE !! [ It's 'cos I'm a nice chap - sometimes ]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

[quote="mattx"]
    Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Good luck.
    I still remove viruses etc now - but for FREE !! [ It's 'cos I'm a nice chap - sometimes ]
    woooo way to motivate people!

Thank Post

woooo way to motivate people!
    I don't do motivation - thats down to the individual..... :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

hmmm that's a good point... i do need some self motivation.... you make me want to try harder by being so depressive.... is it like reverse psychology?

Thank Post

Joanne,

Lancs Uni run good courses designed for school tech.
    I know a few on Edugeek that are doing / have done the courses.

If you do 4 courses you get a foundation degree!

Thank Post

Well for the past week I have hated the kids, the teachers and my job and my breasts ache.

Must be a IT crowd type thing

Thank Post

hmmm that's a good point... i do need some self motivation.... you make me want to try harder by being so depressive.... is it like reverse psychology?
    If you want to feel good, just go out and buy an iPhone.

Thank Post

Simcfc73 said
    Well for the past week I have hated the kids, the teachers and my job and my breasts ache.
    Are you pregnant? There isn't going to another Christmas miracle is there?

Thank Post

You could look on this site and see what other schools have set up. Online room booking software, job logging, intranet etc....Find out if there is something your school doesn't have which other schools have running. Give yourself a project to do and set a deadline to have it in place too. This will give you a project to manage(usefull for interviews) and show the school that you have got the desire to progress and develop things for them. The fact that the school is broken into terms gives you a good timeline to work from.

You could talk to the staff there to see if there is anything they would like to do but dont have the tech knowledge to get it off the ground. Things like video editing but not being sure where to begin. You could do the research and setting up along with userguides etc for staff. Consisting of training in the use of IT equipment, software etc, basically anything that is going to hold your interest and/or be of use to you in the future in looking for other jobs.

The school may not be interested in keeping you, but you can use them to gain knowledge and skills that can be easily transferable and give you an advantage when applying for various jobs.

Thank Post

Don't walk out. It never looks good when you are looking for your next job, when you might have to explain a gap in your employment history, or discuss why you left your previous job.

Your school clearly doesn't value what you do for them now. Ultimately it will be their loss when you go.

If things are ticking over nicely, use whatever 'spare' time you have delving into how your systems work and improve your own knowledge. If you are not fully up to speed with server operations & networking etc find out! Use the resources on the Internet. Teach yourself how to write scripts if you don't know how. Practical knowledge beats theory in most jobs.

If you have a role in mind for your next job, look at what a typical job/person spec might be for that role, and get yourself skilled up to do it.......

I expect (& encourage) the technicians who work with me at my school to continue to develop their skills; I want them to make progress in their careers & I know that at some future date they will move on when they are ready; we all know there are limits to how far anyone can go in most organisations. Keeping people in the dark & starving them of opportunity helps no-one.

Part of my role as Network Manager is to support the development of our technicians. This is not only my personal belief, but it happens to be part of my Performance Management objectives set by the school too!

Thank Post

Don't walk out, it will get you know where, at the end of the day your current employer is your referee. SImply go into the office with your boss and tell them you are looking for another job because of a certain reason. Honesty is the best policy. He will then offer you more pay/more responsablilty or try and sort your issues out. if he doesnt at least you confronted him about it and if he does nothing that will be your excuse to leave.

I know, easier said than done.

Hand in your notice and in the letter add that you enjoyed working there and you are sorry to leave.

Thank Post

You have more opportunity while in work than you do out of work, don't walk away. It’s easier to get training or land a new job if you are already employed. It’s not good to have in your employment history that you walked away from a post.

You are based in Lancashire, Stuart Knight has already mentioned in a previous post about the training opportunities available at Lancaster Uni ICT Focus. Get your School to send you there and use your spare time to study. You could also, as has been suggested create some new network services, this can be done on the cheap using Linux. If you have no experience of Linux then it will be an important part in the development of your skill set. UNIX based systems are important in the big world beyond the school door so this will help you gain experience in that area.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

we don't have any more money left for training. I have the leaflet infront of me. I went on a course in June down at RM and it was £1095... so they don't have any more cash to send me on this other one. I might have words with the head though and see if he can find some money from somewhere.

Thank Post

if you have to leave go get some contract work, depends on your skills ste but if your half decent you should walk into a semi decent contract job and the pay is pretty good.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information