+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
How do you do....it? Thread, iPads, bonjour and papercut? in Technical; How do you support you iPads printing have you installed bonjour printing for Windows and has any one done this ...
  1. #1
    nicholab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,508
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 98 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    52

    iPads, bonjour and papercut?

    How do you support you iPads printing have you installed bonjour printing for Windows and has any one done this with papercut as part of the mix as well?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    142
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 45 Times in 39 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    Pretty much we do what is on here: PaperCut KB | FingerPrint iOS Printing

    Seems to work ok. Just adds an extra step to the printing process.

  3. #3
    nicholab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,508
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 98 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    52
    Do you use the finger software or bonjour print service?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    142
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 45 Times in 39 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    Fingerprint installed on the printer server, not tried the new version but assume it works pretty much the same.

  5. #5
    nicholab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,508
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 98 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    52
    What's the cost?

  6. #6
    Big_Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Clevedon
    Posts
    135
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Fingerprint has been replaced - website here:
    Collobos - Presto

  7. #7
    nicholab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,508
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 98 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    52
    Is there a free version of Presto? Or do you need to run the enterprise version it would be cheaper getting a mac?
    Last edited by nicholab; 11th March 2014 at 09:53 AM.

  8. #8

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,885
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    839
    It would be cheaper than a Mac. $340 a year is about £200. The cheapest Mac Mini Server is about £700 exc VAT. So at that pricing, you've got 3 1/2 years software for the same price as a server (which, lets face it, isn't a server - its a mac mini with OS X Server installed and consumer grade hard disks in it). You also save not having to have another device to manage.

  9. #9

    seawolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    969
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 285 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It would be cheaper than a Mac. $340 a year is about £200. The cheapest Mac Mini Server is about £700 exc VAT. So at that pricing, you've got 3 1/2 years software for the same price as a server (which, lets face it, isn't a server - its a mac mini with OS X Server installed and consumer grade hard disks in it). You also save not having to have another device to manage.
    You don't have to buy the "server" model of the Mac Mini. In fact, you don't even need a new one. I use a 2009 model Mini that I installed a 64GB SSD into, runs Mavericks fine, and serves 300+ iPads for AirPrint. Cost - less than $300 (market value). With time machine backups it's also a cinch to replace if it ever fails, which it probably won't for another 3 years or so. So, average that out to $100 a year or $200 a year if you want to buy a new base model mini and cost it out over 4 years. Either way, money saved using a Mini.

  10. #10

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,885
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    You don't have to buy the "server" model of the Mac Mini. In fact, you don't even need a new one. I use a 2009 model Mini that I installed a 64GB SSD into, runs Mavericks fine, and serves 300+ iPads for AirPrint. Cost - less than $300 (market value). With time machine backups it's also a cinch to replace if it ever fails, which it probably won't for another 3 years or so. So, average that out to $100 a year or $200 a year if you want to buy a new base model mini and cost it out over 4 years. Either way, money saved using a Mini.
    How odd. That flies in the face of nearly everything you say about reliability and stability...

    Yes, you can use an old model, but if you have a policy of not putting old gear into server roles it won't fit.

    Not to mention, if you have a virtualised setup already, the Presto route would be more resilient.

  11. #11

    seawolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    969
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 285 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    How do you support you iPads printing have you installed bonjour printing for Windows and has any one done this with papercut as part of the mix as well?
    Our iPad print solution is setup this way:

    1. Papercut installed on 2008R2 server
    2. 2009 Mac Mini running Papercut Pro with Papercut printers shared (so all printing must go through Papercut), and VLANs configured for all 5 WiFi VLANs.
    3. Wide area Bonjour configured to provide print services across VLANs.

    Works a charm.

  12. #12

    seawolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    969
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 285 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    How odd. That flies in the face of nearly everything you say about reliability and stability...

    Yes, you can use an old model, but if you have a policy of not putting old gear into server roles it won't fit.

    Not to mention, if you have a virtualised setup already, the Presto route would be more resilient.
    No, it's not odd or contradictory, it's a purely rational decision. It all depends on how critical the service is to the organisation and the impact of a failure and how long it would take to recover from it.

    Importance of iPads to be able to print - Low/Medium

    ETA to restore service - 1 hour maximum.

    Overall impact on school - Very Low


    On the other hand, if the core storage (SAN,NAS, or DAS) goes down - enormous impact. If the core switch goes down - enormous impact, etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [iPad] iPad Management and File storage - OSX Server or third party
    By tj2419 in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16th June 2013, 07:51 AM
  2. [iPad] Ipads, VPP, and Meraki - getting started
    By Bev in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8th April 2013, 08:35 PM
  3. [iPad] 30 iPad's and 10 iPods - Need to reset and find a new management system!
    By D0liver in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10th February 2013, 10:18 PM
  4. [Video] iPad Disassembled and Reassembled
    By DaveP in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th April 2010, 09:16 AM
  5. RM CC3 and PaperCut
    By dolmandj in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18th May 2009, 01:02 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •