+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Unsupervised use of Library/LRC in Technical; How do you monitor or control use of your LRC when no librarian is present? Our librarian has been moved ...
    Thank Post

Unsupervised use of Library/LRC

How do you monitor or control use of your LRC when no librarian is present? Our librarian has been moved to another job and pupils now use the library unsupervised (unless it's a timetabled lesson), after several trashed mice and equipment constantly being moved around I have decided enough is enough and I have locked it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts

Re: Unsupervised use of Library/LRC

If you mean physically then ip webcams , if you mean just what they are doing then italc or lan view by mst software.

italc :

http://italc.sourceforge.net/

lan view :

http://www.mst-software.co.uk/softwa...d=69&Itemid=47

Thank Post

Move in there, and demand a payrise for doing 2 jobs. :twisted:

Otherwise, lock it when its not staffed, Cameras will get damaged/stolen. I have worked in some good and bad schools, and neither have let kids in the IT rooms/LRC without supervision.

Thank Post

We have told our staff that students are not allowed in unsupervised, but they often send them in to print some work off. As i am based in the LRC i send them back, and every now and again there is this pass back and forth. They dont seem to understand that the students are there responsibility and they just want to dump them on someone else. I have told many times i am not taking responsability for them coming in.

We have cameras in the room, but as no one does anything about any damage.

I used to lock the room before i was based in here, and the teachers would unlock it constantly and leave it open, i would wander past to find 40 - 50 students in, from different lessons all doing whatever they want, playing games, listening to music, messing around with eacher other. All unsupervised.

Thank Post

Could you nominate some prefect-type people to supervise? Obviously the feasibility of this idea is very dependent on your specific school...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    Could you nominate some prefect-type people to supervise? Obviously the feasibility of this idea is very dependent on your specific school...
    Thanks Nick (and others!), I've had a chat with the dep head and we're going to discuss this with the prefects and head of sixth form.

Thank Post

Angry

Speaking as a library manager, it's SOOO tempting to say, 'Serves the school right for being cheap-skates and not employing a proper 'librarian'!' Our school emloys 2 professional staff, and we ALWAYS follow up bad behaviour, call back untidy students, get them to leave mice, chairs, monitors, keyboards all tidy before they leave. The more staff who insist on it, the morethe kids just do it automatically.. It's down to expectations and following up, as ever.

It's false economy trying to self-run either a library or an ICT suite - unfortunately you hear of an increasing number of schools where Heads throw out all the books and think you can just do with computers; how short sighted, Adolf!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    Unsupervised use of the LIbrary... unsupervised use of the ICT facilities... both drive me nuts.

I've just had a 'full and frank' discussion with the SMT on the subject of an ageing ICT Suite that I'm supposed be keeping going until the summer of 2011. For the time being the kids are no longer free-range.

Ours are well behaved most of the time; heaven only knows how the rest of you cope.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joe90bass View Post
    How do you monitor or control use of your LRC when no librarian is present? Our librarian has been moved to another job and pupils now use the library unsupervised (unless it's a timetabled lesson), after several trashed mice and equipment constantly being moved around I have decided enough is enough and I have locked it!
    we manage it by "no member of staff = no use of equipment"

no complaints here!

Thank Post
    Same here - no staff present - no use of kit!!

We just say pupils are not allowed to use electrical equipment when they are unsupervised...same as lathes and drillstands in D&T

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty10 View Post
    Speaking as a library manager, it's SOOO tempting to say, 'Serves the school right for being cheap-skates and not employing a proper 'librarian'!' Our school emloys 2 professional staff, and we ALWAYS follow up bad behaviour, call back untidy students, get them to leave mice, chairs, monitors, keyboards all tidy before they leave. The more staff who insist on it, the morethe kids just do it automatically.. It's down to expectations and following up, as ever.

It's false economy trying to self-run either a library or an ICT suite - unfortunately you hear of an increasing number of schools where Heads throw out all the books and think you can just do with computers; how short sighted, Adolf!
    The librarian here left so now it will become an IT/ Media suite.
    Now i work in a IT role at school but even i know its wrong to lose a good library however as the library has not been funded (£200 for the last two years) it has died and now it will go .

Its a Shame

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It would be nice to see the schools that get rid of their libraries to pass the books around the other schools/societies that could use them, but unfortunately I hear most just bin them =(.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread