+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Any alternatives to Parentmail? in Technical; Can you choose to just send it to the app? Powers that be aren't too much of a fan of ...

Thank Post
    Can you choose to just send it to the app? Powers that be aren't too much of a fan of paying for the texts.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    +1 for Schoolcomms for ease of use and reliability too.

It was used for sending basic email and text messages, sending out exam and student timetables, and termly reports as attachments to a generic email as well at my last school.

3. Thanks to winng from:

IWDave (26th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Yeah parents love that, can't use it to make payments yet but I think that's on the way?
    Yes payments will be in the School Gateway app around March/April time. (Along with a whole bunch of other stuff)

5. 2 Thanks to Schoolcomms:

GREED (26th February 2014), sparkeh (26th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tj2419 View Post
    Can you choose to just send it to the app? Powers that be aren't too much of a fan of paying for the texts.
    Yes when you compose a message you can choose "App only", "SMS only" or "App or SMS" (default). So if you select "App only" then the message will only go to those that have downloaded the app.

sjb

Thank Post
    Am impressed so far - SchoolComms have spent a lot of time on the phone to me explaining how their system works and dealing with technical issues I'm having with the initial import. Like the look of the system too.

Thank Post
    Is SchoolComms SIMS only?

Thank Post
    SchoolPost is good.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sjb View Post
    Thank you - will look at those options.

Took the plunge and went live on PMX this afternoon and it's worse than I realised. When I send an e-letter parents now just get an alert from PMX and have to log in to their PMX account to see the text of the message! Fortunately the PM2 account still seems to be working so will hastily retreat back to that for now.
    @sjb - Thanks for the post. Can I quickly correct this comment. Parents only need to login ONCE. There is a 'keep me logged in' feature just like that found on Facebook which means parents click on the link in their emails and go directly to the message. (Any submissions back the schools (forms for example) require the parent to input their password so protecting against any security issue when using 'keep me logged in').

It's widely recognised now that ordinary email is not secure and that sending information (especially if it's personal) is not good practice. Now that ParentMail enables parental response (form submission/trip consent etc) it is NECESSARY that parents are logged in when they reply.

This also provides 100% guaranteed delivery receipts and means parents don't have to trawl through junk mail in their personal email accounts to find school messages.

sjb

Thank Post
    That may be the case, but the message a parent receives just says 'you have a message on ParentMail', not even a subject header so that they know what it's about (that's of course assuming that they are able to register on PMX in the first place, which was a real issue for many of our parents due to various technical issues with the site). For us that just wasn't good enough as we know from parent surveys that a lot of parents make a judgement about whether to read a message based on its subject. Form submissions and trip consents on PM are a substantial extra cost on top of the core system, so we wouldn't have considered those anyway.

Have now been using SchoolComms for a few weeks and are very glad to have made the switch as their system is so much more flexible, easier to maintain and easier to use, for lower cost.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sjb View Post
    That may be the case, but the message a parent receives just says 'you have a message on ParentMail', not even a subject header so that they know what it's about (that's of course assuming that they are able to register on PMX in the first place, which was a real issue for many of our parents due to various technical issues with the site). For us that just wasn't good enough as we know from parent surveys that a lot of parents make a judgement about whether to read a message based on its subject. Form submissions and trip consents on PM are a substantial extra cost on top of the core system, so we wouldn't have considered those anyway.

Have now been using SchoolComms for a few weeks and are very glad to have made the switch as their system is so much more flexible, easier to maintain and easier to use, for lower cost.
    I am sorry to hear you were not happy. PMX is a first generation product and like all first generation products will benefit from a few updates. (It has already had 6 in the first 6 months and the things you've mentioned have already been attended to).

However I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying SchoolComms ... in my experience they are a good company run by some nice people. Best of luck going forward.

Paul.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12