+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Notifying staff... in Technical; How do you best notify staff about network issue, new features, network downtime etc? We currently send an e-mail to ...

Thank Post

Notifying staff...

How do you best notify staff about network issue, new features, network downtime etc?

We currently send an e-mail to all staff...but these never get read (not that implementing another solution will improve this) but is there a smarter way than I am not seeing?!

We included information in the staff news and other pieces of paper that end up on staff desks.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Kent load this page (in a full screen app with quota info at the top) when you log in

IT service alerts

3. 2 Thanks to mjs_mjs:

IWDave (29th January 2014), speckytecky (30th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How about staff briefing?

Thank Post
    We use impero to push notifications out to our staff for urgent things. It's brilliant as it pings up over all other active windows. As for planned maintenance, we will announce in briefing, follow up with an email, then use smoke signals for those who still can't use computers. :-)

6. Thanks to robdoessound from:

free780 (29th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Don't laugh but if I notice the email server has gone down out of school hours, I use FB. Amazing how quick it gets around.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We doctor SharePoint and create an announcement page, at the top of which we create an alert section. You mention hard copies - always a winner in education

Thank Post
    Same as @Mr_Jiminy we use SharePoint, the staff intranet page is loaded by default every time the user logs in or opens up their browser. It's the first thing they see. However, saying all that, its amazing how many people still don't see notices (we don't have that many!). Short of wondering round with a staple gun stapling post-it notes or memos to their foreheads they are not going to know (that might not even work!).

Thank Post
    We stick an announcement on HAP. Staff know this is where they look for any updates.

Thank Post
    We use Intranet or our staff bulletin for most things. If we have an immediate system problem or an issue which I want to put in more in peoples faces, I'll use an all-staff email. For emails I always try and get the important info into the subject and include a one line tl/dr type summary at the top. I also try and use a little humour in the emails and it seems to work - people are generally complimentary about them so they are definitely reading them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 864 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use email and usually email alone. If people don't read it or pay attention to it, the problem is theirs alone and any grievance they have as a result is moot and will end up in *them* getting told off. Impero as above is awesome for instant notification but wary of using that in case of interrupting lesson flow unless we really have to (haven't done it yet). A service status page is something we've looked at and will likely use in future, maybe on one or both of our portal (internet homepage) and xibo screens.
    Plenty of notice always given for maintenance/planned tasks, after all we hold all the keys regarding communication so there's no excuse for not using it! Initial warning, reminded the day before perhaps, and a "Don't forget xyz is unavailable in 10 minutes" assuming it's in the day.
    Each school is different though

Thank Post
    Morning briefing if a lot of downtime expected + email seems to work well here - only a "few" selected TAs refuse to look at their email / touch a computer. Their problem I guess ;D

Thank Post
    Staff emails usually or if it's an immediate problem then we use pop up messages on screens. Also we have briefing a few times a week but don't usually have to resort to mentioning anything there - our staff are quite good with their emails. I remember about 5 years ago when any message had to be printed off 120 times and put in all pigeon holes - it took some work to get the staff using emails as standard but totally worth it - are your staff just stubborn or are there reasons they don't use email as standard?

Thank Post
    I use email and I have a board in the staff room that I write it up on.

If they cant be bothered to read emails or the board its their own fault.

However if its an issue in middle of the day thats relatively small, I tend to go and speak to those affected this usually is enough. I also send emails as a reminder/bottom covering.

Thank Post
    For prior notice, an All staff email a couple of days before. (CMIS/ePortal upgrades)
    For immediate notice a screen message from RM console. (ePortal or other server reboot in the day)
    If it is super urgent I will blank out and lock everyone's screen using the Lan view get attention feature. We've only used this once when we had a virus outbreak and had to turn the whole site off.
    We use briefing to keep people informed if a situation is ongoing. (an issue with exchange preventing outlook from connecting, that lasted for 2 days, but allowed outlookanywhere to work)

Thank Post
    I tend to email and then await the "why is the network down at the moment" conversations I have in half term. I spend ages moaning about it, go home for whisky and then forget about it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast