+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
How do you do....it? Thread, Notifying staff... in Technical; I actually did the same thing but upon setting it as the homepage I had an influx of "The internet ...
    Thank Post
    I actually did the same thing but upon setting it as the homepage I had an influx of "The internet is broken". Apparently if Google doesn't instantly appear the internet is buggered.

Thank Post
    We had lots of calls saying the internet was broken when we removed the google search box from the middle of the front page of the VLE/homepage. Likewise when we banned the kids from Bing and temporarily left it as the default search engine in IE.

Thank Post
    Is it us? Do we as IT people have standards set too high or are people just a little too silly? I have science teachers who know how to make napalm but cant think of an 8 digit password.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chilbs View Post
    We had lots of calls saying the internet was broken when we removed the google search box from the middle of the front page of the VLE/homepage. Likewise when we banned the kids from Bing and temporarily left it as the default search engine in IE.
    I use / like Bing so I understand I am likely to not like the reply but why ban Bing?

Thank Post
    We have an internal metro style intranet page, with a network status tile we keep updated. It turns red or amber or green dependant on whole network status

We also have this for parents and staff and students from home: St Bede's Catholic Middle School » Service Status the ticks ping the server, so if its down down it will auto update. Not fool proof, but we can quickly update website as its WP hosted offsite

Thank Post
    We have a multi-layered approach! Intranet homepage, email and a desktop application that pops up memos. We also run a login script that can display a message that they have to acknowledge before continuing! If its the internet or email that will be down we also get a tannoy announcement across the school. Obviousluy if the internet goes down we set off the flashing red lights and klaxons and everyone leaves the building </sarcasm>

Needless to say, as soon as we take down the server (or whatever it was) the phone rings......

Thank Post
    Local Support tools on RM CC4. In the Managemnt Console right click a group of machines then choose "Message".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robjduk View Post
    I use / like Bing so I understand I am likely to not like the reply but why ban Bing?
    The image search was not being filtered correctly. so quickest way to stop this happening while we worked out what the problem was to completely ban Bing for the kids.

Thank Post
    The simple thing is to communicate…
    in the IT fraternity, you will have a number of different ways available (twitter, Facebook, email, icq, answerphone loop message, post-it note, milk round )
    But keep the message simple and to the point. That avoids the “it's too technical” whine.
    And keep a list of departmental admins and get to know them, they can help disseminate emergency info.

And hold major changeovers for quiet periods like weekends, term breaks or overnights via VPN. You don't have to be there 24/7/365

I recall one senior network engineer at our main campus NOC, who mailed out an overly technical notification to all staff about 20-odd share points being moved to a new server, then phoned the school departmental heads at 10 in the morning on the day of the move, couldn't get hold of 80percent of them (his words “what are they doing at that time of the day?”) and progressed to shift everything at 2pm…

…in the middle of exam week.

The sight of one invigilator having kittens was appalling as the students exam work disappeared right before their very eyes, as the server merrily transferred the data from one live share point to another. The NOC further up the chain got such a bollocking for their lack of foresight, understanding and abysmal communication.

--

Separately, for those who wonder about traffic light systems, nagios will handle that very well, you can even get a watcher app for that. Tis free too - the best price point.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234