+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Notifying staff... in Technical; We email to all staff too. As others have said, if they just delete it then more fool them....

Thank Post
    We email to all staff too.

As others have said, if they just delete it then more fool them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    As others have said, if they just delete it then more fool them.
    There may be a problem with this.

Usually we email staff because we want to prevent them from notifying us of a problem we already know about, better one message than someone fielding 50 phone calls "Yes there is a problem, yes we are fixing it blah", or even worse not answering the phone at all which will leave users with the impression "IT - pah their systems break *and* they can't even be bothered to answer the phone".

So while there is truth in the "more fool them" line, what may also be happening is they take a poor view of IT support.

Thank Post
    Email to all staff and stick in on the Intranet at the top in a big font with bright colours. We still get complaints about people not knowing there was maintenance but showing them usual makes them go quiet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 837 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @pcstru why is a member of staff receiving an email and deleteing it any different to answering the phone to them for them to entirely ignore what you've told them and complain anyway?
    None, it's the same thing, regardless of what media. We should generally make it as clear as possible with the methods possible.

Thank Post
    We email them, if they ignore it then I write it on a post it note, stick it on the baseball bat and pay them a visit

6. Thanks to teejay from:

Latham (31st January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    @pcstru why is a member of staff receiving an email and deleteing it any different to answering the phone to them for them to entirely ignore what you've told them and complain anyway?
    None, it's the same thing, regardless of what media. We should generally make it as clear as possible with the methods possible.
    Exactly!

I should make it clear we wouldn't be rude to anyone if they rang up or popped in but I would say an email had been sent out about it. If the boot was on the other foot I don't think they'd accept my excuse of 'I didn't read it because I deleted it'!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    My point is simply that it is worth putting some effort into maximising the effectiveness of communications - which means taking time and effort to understand why people aren't reading the emails and trying to address that. The "more fool you" can be short sighted and damaging to the reputation of your department - not intentionally, but if you don't realise then you can't do anything about it.

9. Thanks to pcstru from:

jcollings (29th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    My point is simply that it is worth putting some effort into maximising the effectiveness of communications - which means taking time and effort to understand why people aren't reading the emails and trying to address that. The "more fool you" can be short sighted and damaging to the reputation of your department - not intentionally, but if you don't realise then you can't do anything about it.
    What you are talking about is an organisational, or even personal, issue surely?

If staff are deleting emails, ignoring phone calls, not reading posters or screens, etc, etc then I honestly cannot see how they can blame anyone if they miss out on important information (bearing in mind information regarding everything in our school gets disseminated this way, not just ICT problems).
    Last edited by Tall_Paul; 29th January 2014 at 03:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    If staff are deleting emails, ignoring phone calls, not reading posters or screens, etc, etc then I honestly cannot see how
    Do you read junk email? Do you read marketing bumf? If you receive a communication from someone, and it is incomprehensible or irrelevant, how likely are you to ignore the next one or the one after that? If you received messages from the head of English dealing with the schools delivery of the curriculum (some might consider that at some level, that involves you!) and 99% of them were utterly irrelevant to you, would it really be your fault when you used the word "irregardless" to a student, despite it being banned by the English AUP?

I delete emails all the time without even knowing what the content is.
    they can blame anyone if they miss out on important information (bearing in mind information regarding everything in our school gets disseminated this way, not just ICT problems).
    It's not about 'blame', BUT here is a thread in which people who want to communicate with people, KNOW that those people don't even bother to read the emails, but anyway, will send an email and then say "well, it's YOUR fault you didn't know that".

Now, **don't get me wrong**, that might just be OK, depending on the consequences of that lack of knowledge. But even in a fairly benign situation where the patient doesn't die on the operating table because the firewall maintenance interrupted the live teleprescence link from the expert surgeon in South Africa, it might give a pretty poor impression to senior management when you know what you are doing is ineffective, but you do it anyway.

If you *really* want people to know stuff, you need to do a little more than write a few words. The more you need them to really know stuff, the harder *you* need to work.
    Last edited by pcstru; 29th January 2014 at 06:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Email and note on the staff room door for planned maintenance

Email and note on IT door if something is unplanned maintenance

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Do you read junk email? Do you read marketing bumf? If you receive a communication from someone, and it is incomprehensible or irrelevant, how likely are you to ignore the next one or the one after that? If you received messages from the head of English dealing with the schools delivery of the curriculum (some might consider that at some level, that involves you!) and 99% of them were utterly irrelevant to you, would it really be your fault when you used the word "irregardless" to a student, despite it being banned by the English AUP?

I delete emails all the time without even knowing what the content is.

It's not about 'blame', BUT here is a thread in which people who want to communicate with people, KNOW that those people don't even bother to read the emails, but anyway, will send an email and then say "well, it's YOUR fault you didn't know that".

Now, **don't get me wrong**, that might just be OK, depending on the consequences of that lack of knowledge. But even in a fairly benign situation where the patient doesn't die on the operating table because the firewall maintenance interrupted the live teleprescence link from the expert surgeon in South Africa, it might give a pretty poor impression to senior management when you know what you are doing is ineffective, but you do it anyway.

If you *really* want people to know stuff, you need to do a little more than write a few words. The more you need them to really know stuff, the harder *you* need to work.
    I'm afraid we're going to have to agree to disagree.

If someone can't be bothered to read a 'High Importance' email marked 'URGENT - Network Maintenance at 1600' then I have no sympathy (and neither would Senior Management). And if they dismiss such an email as junk or 'marketing bumf' then they need their heads looking at.

I agree with you that methods of communication need to be looked at if there are real problems (like a constant deluge of emails, phone calls, whatever) but, in my experience, it only tends to be a tiny percentage of staff (if any at all) who say they didn't get the information.

As a matter of courtesy, in a serious situation such as the above, I would walk around the staffrooms ten minutes before and check everyone was aware but I certainly wouldn't do that for every single ICT related problem (and wouldn't be expected to either).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would of course hope we all put maximum effort into not confusing people with techno-babble or otherwise technical language. People don't often need to know the in's and out's of maintenance, a brief reason, why it affects them etc is usually more than sufficient.

"A quick restart of the SIMS server is needed today at breaktime for an update which hopefully speeds things up for us"
    "We intend to take down our mail server today to take care of some nasty incidents, don't worry all email is safe and it will be back up by 12pm"

It takes a little effort on all sides but we can not and will not be held responsible for any ignorance shown by end users if we've done everything necessary to warn.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes Impero will do the job nicely but my staff would be up in arms if they thought I was able to monitor their screens so staff machines are in a Group that is seperated from student machines so they don't show screens on the console.

Quote Originally Posted by robdoessound View Post
    We use impero to push notifications out to our staff for urgent things. It's brilliant as it pings up over all other active windows. As for planned maintenance, we will announce in briefing, follow up with an email, then use smoke signals for those who still can't use computers. :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can still send messages whilst being unable to see the screens, we do.

Thank Post
    [/CODE]
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Yes Impero will do the job nicely but my staff would be up in arms if they thought I was able to monitor their screens so staff machines are in a Group that is seperated from student machines so they don't show screens on the console.
    We use Lanview, and we had a brief round of this, but then pointed out to them, if we can't see your screen, we can't remotely assist you, and if we can't see your screen we don't know if you're busy. Plus, monitoring of all machines is in the AUP.

While we are on this subject, I've attached an email that I send to staff when there is going to be a cmis or eportal upgrade. A few people have said they think it is too technical, but I can't see a way of giving the required information in a simpler-worded format?

Code:
    Dear All,

Due to software changes, CMIS and Eportal for all sites will be unavailable on Thursday 9th January for approximately 2  hours from 16:30.

This will affect all access to CMIS and EPortal, including access from home. 

Please note that during this work, access to other resources on the CMIS server will also be affected, these include:

•	RM Finance, and Finance document areas (but NOT Corero)
    •	HR  (Including recruitment)
    •	[NAME]-[NAME Shares
    •	Special [SITE] Staff to Staff shares.
    •	The Staff Info area
    •	The Staff Temp area
    •	Truancy Call
    •	GroupCall
    •	Exam exchange folders

Staff home drives and logging in will not be affected. 

Please ensure that you have closed CMIS, Eportal and any resources listed above before this time. 

Any open connections from web browsers to ePortal, or from Facility Admin client to the CMIS database will be automatically closed.

Please do not attempt to access any services listed above before 18:30 as functionality may be unpredictable.

Any questions, please contact the helpdesk.
    [NAME] indicates a meaningful name that has been changed for anonymity

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast