+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Locking computers during inactivity in Technical; Now i know i can do this via policy using the screensaver settings but it's not adaptable enough... Does anyone ...
    Thank Post

Locking computers during inactivity

Now i know i can do this via policy using the screensaver settings but it's not adaptable enough...

Does anyone know of anything we could put on the PCs or use remotely that can lock PCs after a period of inactivity, or better yet, lock computers after inactivity based on an application running?

For example if a computer is running sims i want that computer to lock after only 15 minutes inactivity. Whereas if they aren't running sims I can make it 2 hours.

I want to force teachers in to the habit of either closing sims or locking their computers when they walk away, rather than walking home at night and leaving sims open for all to see. We're trying our best to educate them every day and getting them told off but it's not really working. We tried the group policy method in the past and it worked fine except we were told to remove it because it was interrupting classes with presentations, so i need something more adaptable.

Any solutions here?

Thank Post
    We have a 900sec screensaver lock as above. Only science said it interrupted their videos now and again and it isn't applied to PCs used for large presentations etc. but it still stands for the rest of the school. Would it help if maybe there was a solution that didn't kick in the screensaver/lock if something is running in full screen?
    (not that I have one, sorry)

Thank Post
    I had a schedule task that used to run if the computer hadnt been used after say 20mins then it would lock its self. This is as far as it got with it but i did want to get to the point where if pulsar was idle after say 10 mins then close pulsar.exe and then after 20mins, lock the machine.

Thank Post
    Set them all to 15 minutes, this is an information security (InfoSec) breach, and a serious one at that. You need to report any and all breeches to the schools information manager. They need a nominated person under the data protection act. Failure to keep data safe is a legal matter.

If they are running videos or similar tell them to use presentation mode Adjust settings before giving a presentation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,228 Times in 1,645 Posts
    This has come up at one of the schools I am less directly involved with after this event: A salutary tale | edugeek.net

It's virtually impossible to predict what staff will havs up on the IWB that they will be using as a teaching tool. It could be email, or they could be training other staff in SIMS. In both cases where a breach of DPA is possible, a longer lockout would be deirable under certain circumstances.

My feeling is that a short lockout for everyone is desirable. You then give staff the option to modify it to a longer period (presentation mode) which is reset by GP every time they logoff/logon again. However, there are pitfalls whatever you do and really the only answer is for SLT to get tough! Hopefuly it won't take an incident like the one in the thread I linked to make this happen.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 16th January 2014 at 07:13 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Does anyone know of anything we could put on the PCs or use remotely that can lock PCs after a period of inactivity, or better yet, lock computers after inactivity based on an application running?
    Yes: Sims.net timeout

7. 2 Thanks to meastaugh1:

lmgtfy (16th January 2014), mrbios (16th January 2014)

Thank Post
    ahhhhhh that's perfect! Thank you!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread