+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Anyone backup to Tape? in Technical; We currently back up incr every night and a full backup once a week using BackupPC. Looking at the possibility ...
    Thank Post

Anyone backup to Tape?

We currently back up incr every night and a full backup once a week using BackupPC. Looking at the possibility of using a Tape Loader to Archive data off e.g when year groups leave, staff leavers at end of term. Just looking at suggestions of the best way of doing this and any pointers of a regime that works out.

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Can't see the need for an auto loader for archive, a single slot LTO will do the job.

We have autoloaders but they are just belt and braces realy as the data is cross-site disk-2-disk

Rob

Thank Post
    sorry forgot add that we would also want to use it backup our data possibly week onto tape to put in the safe / take off site for DR

Thank Post
    It's usually a question of how much data you want to backup. We have virtual servers which we back up 5 days a week to disk. Three times a week these go across to tape. Weekend tapes go into safe. We need an autoloader, but only because of the amount of data.

Thank Post
    FRDC: AIT Tape
    DC: RDX
    EXH: AIT TAPE
    OTH: LTO TAPE
    OTH: RDX

5 main servers, of which 3 still use tape and 2 RDX; each server has an independant backup though we are looking at going virtual which would likely be D2D2T using an autoloader to backup the SAN (would be a massive change for us).

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    We use one of these (Small to Medium-Size Business Tape Library - Scalar i40/80 Overview) with two tape drives for our daily backups. Depends how busy you are as to whether or not you can really justify a tape library or not but we'd be lost without it.

Thank Post
    how many sets of tapes do you keep? We are currently thinking 2 sets for file and VM which we will rotate between the loader and the safe, a set of archive tapes to be kept in the safe most of the time and one last set to take the data off site

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mdench View Post
    how many sets of tapes do you keep? We are currently thinking 2 sets for file and VM which we will rotate between the loader and the safe, a set of archive tapes to be kept in the safe most of the time and one last set to take the data off site
    We have enough for 3 weeks. Is the safe in the same building as your servers and backup device? If so, then is there any real need to remove tapes from site? If not, can it be moved so that it is? There are also DPA issues for removing data from site, remember.

Thank Post
    The safe would be housed in a different place to our backup server. I don't see any real reason to remove the data from site but I'm being asked to ask the question. Do you have any links to DPA info about removing data from site?

Thank Post
    yeah (unfortunately)

Sony AIT4 storstation sx900 robotic library.

3 weekly sets of tapes in rotation (one in library, one in server room waiting to go in, one in safe in other building) plus an archived xmas, easter and summer termly back up stretching back to 2008!

Thank Post
    The safe would be housed in a different place to our backup server. I don't see any real reason to remove the data from site but I'm being asked to ask the question. Do you have any links to DPA info about removing data from site?
    In a different place or different building? The critical thing here is how likely is it that a major emergency that took out your server room would also take out your safe? Well, in the event of an A-Bomb I guess they'd both go, but for fire or flood type emergencies, make sure the safe is physically separated by more than room. I don't happen to have links, no, but if you are removing unencrypted data from site then it's a problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    yeah (unfortunately)

Sony AIT4 storstation sx900 robotic library.

3 weekly sets of tapes in rotation (one in library, one in server room waiting to go in, one in safe in other building) plus an archived xmas, easter and summer termly back up stretching back to 2008!
    are those termly backups on seperate tapes or are you able to fit multiple terms on a set of tapes?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson335 View Post
    In a different place or different building? The critical thing here is how likely is it that a major emergency that took out your server room would also take out your safe? Well, in the event of an A-Bomb I guess they'd both go, but for fire or flood type emergencies, make sure the safe is physically separated by more than room. I don't happen to have links, no, but if you are removing unencrypted data from site then it's a problem.
    different building sorry! If we did remove the data off site we would make sure that it was encrypted

Thank Post
    are those termly backups on seperate tapes or are you able to fit multiple terms on a set of tapes?
    we only just fit the data on one set of tapes! So, yeah, each termly backup is 8 tapes.

Oh, yeah, we are disk-disk-tape, so everything does a full back up over the weekend, first to disk and then to tape (it's often still doing it on monday), and then does overnight differentials to disk and duplicates to tape during the day
    Last edited by Oaktech; 13th December 2013 at 02:48 PM.

Thank Post
    different building sorry! If we did remove the data off site we would make sure that it was encrypted
    Personally, I think that if your tape safe is in an entirely separate building, then there is little to be gained by removing tapes from site. That's just my personal opinion.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast