+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, 2 way radios in Technical; I eventually want to use wifi voip handsets to enable true duplex voice communication on site but this is a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts

2 way radios

I eventually want to use wifi voip handsets to enable true duplex voice communication on site but this is a while off now so I need some decent radios.

We currently have some of the motorola talkabouts and the battery life is poo.

Are there any devices out there that look and work like a mobile allowing duplex conversation but that use licence free radio frequency?

Otherwise I was looking at the Motorola XTN446.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: 2 way radios

Our place have about 12 Motorola XTN446s and can't fault them. They're very tough and robust. I use my own amateur radio handy most days but on the odd occassion I use the XTNs.

We have a load of old Icom IC-F4SRs (also robust) from the old SRBR days that were converted to 446 and while they are good radios, the batteries don't last long now.

Either way, I recommend ones with drop-in chargers.

Thank Post

we have a mixture of bigger iCom and small random makes. Wouldn't recommend the small ones as they often drop signal and our site isn't that big.
    iComs can't be faulted really, I have the extended battery and supposedly can leave a whole week without recharging, don't want to test it though. Nice and sinple layout so no confusion, twist knob for channel, twist knob for on and volume, button to call and button to talk. The biggest problem is actually people using them, as in talking over each other or pressing the call button rather than the talk button.

Thank Post

Well our solution is somewhat OTT for most schools but then I do sell/repair radio systems in my own time! We have our own PBR license. Equipment wise we have repeater (vertex Standard VXR7000) with a telephone interconnect module which is connected to our PBX enabling incoming/outgoing calls from our phone system. All handportables are either Motorola GP380's or 388's these all have a full keypad allowing users to make phone calls, and selectively call individual radios.

@Plexer unfortunately in your price range you will not find a duplex portable, and there are certainly non for the license exempt band as these would not be type approved.

Thank Post

The other problem I had with the talkabouts was the crappy belt clip breaking easily, whats the belt clip on the XTN's like?

Ben

Thank Post

I would recommend the kenwood protalk over the xtn much more ruggedised and is the same chassis as there licensed handportable.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The XTNs don't have clips themselves, they are separate items that the radio clips into and look like this:

The clip swings 90° either way round from the body of the clip, and it's secure enough to stay on and won't fall off, but you can still get to them easily for access.

Thank Post

Paul:

Would that be: http://www.twoway-radio.co.uk/trolleyed/2/index.htm

Kenwood TK3201??

Cheers,

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Our place have about 12 Motorola XTN446s and can't fault them. They're very tough and robust. I use my own amateur radio handy most days but on the odd occassion I use the XTNs.

We have a load of old Icom IC-F4SRs (also robust) from the old SRBR days that were converted to 446 and while they are good radios, the batteries don't last long now.

Either way, I recommend ones with drop-in chargers.
    We use them too - have about 20 around site which are in constant use. Very low damage rates, and batteries are good too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nearly every member of staff has a Motorola radio similar to the XTN446 they are pretty good and reliable.

Z

Thank Post

We use radios at our palce, we have about 100 Kenwood 3101's and my personal favourite the kenwood ProTalk 3201, the college used a company called 'North East Radio Communications', ah um!, however my personal favorite is a company called 'WildTalk', google them, there online.

The upside with these (3201) is that they are programable, for example, scamble which we use in IT as the kids bring ther own cheap radios in from home and listen thinking that were gonna broadcast passwords over the airwaves......, these also have a build in scan function as well as many others, ther is a PDF manual listing all of them on google somewhere.

The software to programme them is about £100 and the cables etc are about £51 when i last checked, however Wildtalk offer to programme these free of charge and all i bought was a couple of belt clips as back up.

Radio:-
    http://www.wildtalk.com/446radios/ken-tk3201.htm

Wildtalk:-
    http://www.wildtalk.com/

Thank Post

I'm looking at the Icom F25SR from the same supplier now as they reckon it's a better radio than the kenwood 3201.

Ben

Thank Post

@plexer if you can wait a few weeks before ordering the new Entel HX446 wil be released this is going to be an apsolute killer of a 446 handheld, I have a demo in my hand now! Its built on the same chassis as the Motorola GP344/388 and is identicial to Entels HX400 licensed line except for advanced signalling check them out here:
    basic no display model:
    http://www.entel.co.uk/products/licence_free/hx446e.htm

Advanced display model:

http://www.entel.co.uk/products/licence_free/hx446l.htm

Thank Post

Hi Paul,

Do you have an idea of pricing on those hand helds?

£120 for the Icom that I'm currently considering is about the max.

Ben

Thank Post

It will be very similar to the icom's pricing, can get you a definative answer by the end of the day

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information