+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Apple Configurator... There's got to be a better way in Technical; In my school district we use configurator to manage our iPad deployment. We have 4 different types of iPad carts ...

Thank Post

Apple Configurator... There's got to be a better way

In my school district we use configurator to manage our iPad deployment. We have 4 different types of iPad carts that all need to be set up in different ways. At the moment the process we are using to update these iPads is to bring in one iPad from each cart, pair it up with it's sync station, run the updates then update the apps to the appropriate folders. The problem is at the moment we have 30 carts and we are getting 30 more in the spring. It took me all day just to move apps into their appropriate folders for 30 carts. And the worst part is that I am repeating the same 4 layouts. I can't help but think there has got to be a better way so that I am not doing the same task over and over and over. I want to know, is there any way in configurator to either A. Export the backup of one of each of the different cart types and then import it to the other sync stations, thus eliminating repetition. B. is it possible for one iPad to be supervised by multiple sync stations? This way i could have 4 "base image" iPads and just connect them to the other sync stations then back up those images. C. If I connect an unsupervised ipad to a sync station (to do the same thing as B) will it mess up my supervision on the rest of the iPads?

Any suggestions would be great!

Thank Post
    As long as it works through your filter meraki is a free mdm solution that can push out settings. You still have to get the wifi key / authenticate if using radius.

Thank Post
    +1 for Meraki. It doesn't come working flawlessly so beware you may need to change some settings and have a play!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    +2 for meraki. Ditched configurator for this.

Thank Post
    I have been looking into meraki for the past 2 days, and I am still not seeing how it can help me do what I am asking. Can you please provide some guidance?

Thank Post
    We currently have 120 iPads all issued to teachers, like others above we tried meraki but couldn't get it to work through our filters. Unfortunately meraki couldn't do what we needed it to do as we required each iPad to be laid out in a certain way with a certain wallpaper and certain ibooks already installed.

The way we did it was to use iTunes backup and restore to basically create a "base image" for different setups of iPads (Teachers and Teaching assistants have different apps and layouts), if you set one iPad exactly how you want it (i.e. layouts,apps,iBooks etc) then use iTunes to take a backup you can then plug in a different iPad then restore from that backup you've just made. Make sure that the PC that you have installed iTunes on and synced the iPads to is Authorized under the iTunes account you downloaded the apps using otherwise the apps wont install when you restore, also i believe that iOS7 now supports background updates of apps so the iPads shouldn't be prompted for your iTunes account when they need updating.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DWakely View Post

The way we did it was to use iTunes backup and restore to basically create a "base image" for different setups of iPads (Teachers and Teaching assistants have different apps and layouts), if you set one iPad exactly how you want it (i.e. layouts,apps,iBooks etc) then use iTunes to take a backup you can then plug in a different iPad then restore from that backup you've just made.
    How does this method sit with licensing the iBooks and apps?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ozydave View Post
    How does this method sit with licensing the iBooks and apps?
    Physically there is nothing stopping you from doing this but in terms of licensing it is down to the app developers licensing terms as to how many devices an app can be used on, however apple apps such as keynote and pages there is no limit

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread