+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
How do you do....it? Thread, Staff asking us to rip DVD's to network so multiple classrooms can show film. in Technical; Originally Posted by synaesthesia There's a damned good reason optical drives are on the way out! Yeah, it costs less ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    There's a damned good reason optical drives are on the way out!
    Yeah, it costs less to produce and distribute digital media.

And you don't have to worry about those pesky consumer rights.

Thank Post
    I know that the subject is ripping DVDs and understand that is illegal and staff at our school know I won't do it, but... If I had a TV licence and a TV tuner on a network computer, could I record live TV onto a network share and then make it available across the network? And would this include feature films shown on broadcast channels?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    I know that the subject is ripping DVDs and understand that is illegal and staff at our school know I won't do it, but... If I had a TV licence and a TV tuner on a network computer, could I record live TV onto a network share and then make it available across the network? And would this include feature films shown on broadcast channels?
    If I recall correctly there's a couple of users on here that have done something similar, setting up TV streaming servers in school with TV tuners allowing TV to be viewed in any classroom...

Ninja edit: Source: http://angrytechnician.wordpress.com...lc-you-idiots/ @AngryTechnician
    Last edited by Chris_; 2nd December 2013 at 05:12 PM.

4. Thanks to Chris_ from:

jmak (2nd December 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's nothing illegal about recording anything off TV regardless of what the content is to be watched later in school for educational purposes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    There's nothing illegal about recording anything off TV regardless of what the content is to be watched later in school for educational purposes.
    You do need an ERA license or an ERA+ license to share the resources electronically.

7. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

jmak (2nd December 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's correct, assumed that's a given for the majority of schools.

9. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

jmak (2nd December 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks all. I'll offer that as a legal alternative - we would need to buy a TV licence and I don't think we have an ERA licence either - we don't have any TVs or video players or any other broadcast receivers on site at all! Got rid of the last ones before digital switch over. We do have PPL and CLA licences for performance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    Thanks all. I'll offer that as a legal alternative - we would need to buy a TV licence and I don't think we have an ERA licence either - we don't have any TVs or video players or any other broadcast receivers on site at all! Got rid of the last ones before digital switch over. We do have PPL and CLA licences for performance.
    Are you sure @jmak? Nobody uses their computer to watch the tennis or anything else in the school. Live tv streaming requires a tv license.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 2nd December 2013 at 09:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Are you sure @jmak? Nobody uses their computer to watch the tennis or anything else in the school. Live tv streaming requires a tv license.
    I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone watching anything at the same time it has been broadcast. You've made me think about it - and worry about how boring our staff must be - but we don't have a straightforward means of recording broadcast - you could, but only by capturing a stream and I would be truly amazed if anyone has managed that without asking me. Lesson times are too flexible to fit in with a broadcast schedule, so fairly confident there's nothing in the classrooms and I get strange looks for checking the weather forecast in the lunch hour (personal use of a school machine). God, what a boring lot I work with! Me? I'd rather get my job done and get home to watch tv in comfort

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you use the search facility on EG you will find that this is a repeated question, and not that much has changed over the years.

In previous threads you will find links to BFI, CLA, the DfE advice and even materials from LAs and RBCs.

Previous threads have also covered polite ways to say no ... and some very impolite (but fun) ways to say no, as well.

Simple rule of thumb...
    If recorded from the agreed free-to-air channels permitted under ERA+ then fill your boots.
    If explicitly granted permission by publisher (who has also granted rights in behalf of copyright holder) then get the documented permission and fill your boots.
    If neither of the above, then politely ask on whose authority are they asking for it to be done, and if the authority is less than The Crown, then politely decline.
    (nb, The Crown is a figure of speech to show permission granted through a legal act ... however, if Her Majesty deems that you *can* do it then it would be interesting to see what the outcome is!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone watching anything at the same time it has been broadcast. You've made me think about it - and worry about how boring our staff must be - but we don't have a straightforward means of recording broadcast - you could, but only by capturing a stream and I would be truly amazed if anyone has managed that without asking me. Lesson times are too flexible to fit in with a broadcast schedule, so fairly confident there's nothing in the classrooms and I get strange looks for checking the weather forecast in the lunch hour (personal use of a school machine). God, what a boring lot I work with! Me? I'd rather get my job done and get home to watch tv in comfort
    I find that live tv is not watched in our school... except when there are key events. That's when you will find Wimbledon on a whiteboard. Just occasionally something like the state opening of parliament might get shown to a class. We don't take the risk and, despite being a tiny and not wealthy school, are fully paid up on all broadcast and music licenses. As staff retire and younger teachers join the school, the chance of them doing this increases.

Your staff may not even be aware that the school does not have the requisite licenses and your SLT may not realise that you have the equipment to watch it live. I think it would be worth you writing up a document for your HT and copying in the clerk to the Governors fao the Finance committee on the costs of the licenses and the risks that the school runs by not having them.

This still won't solve your problem of staff wanting DVDs to be illegally copied. Stick to your guns on this. Put it in writing

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123