+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Staff asking us to rip DVD's to network so multiple classrooms can show film. in Technical; We had this issue with a member of staff attempting to rip about 15 DVDs to their area and then ...

Thank Post
    We had this issue with a member of staff attempting to rip about 15 DVDs to their area and then complaining that they didn't have enough space to work effectively and that we were stifling them. What it comes down to is that staff don't want to have to go pick up a DVD from a cupboard or plan to share resources. Their HoD backed them so we were called into a meeting with the Head and once we showed what they were doing, showed the amount of space they wanted to take up for themselves and the copyright and fines we could be facing. The Head laughed heartily and asked the Teacher and HoD of department why they weren't aware of the copyright and sent them away with a flea in their ear.

1 week later they copied the rips on to the departmental shared area and filled the server completely stopping everyone else from using the share. That was a bit more of an elephant in their ear that time

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,392 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    That was a bit more of an elephant in their ear that time
    I would have thought it'd be more of a kick in their rear [and a P45.]

Thank Post

4. 3 Thanks to xenonive:

dhicks (2nd December 2013), pcstru (2nd December 2013), soveryapt (2nd December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjashadow View Post
    Tell the HOD that the school stands to be fined and or Jail time if they are caught doing this. If he is insistant then get it in writing and keep that handy
    Definitely not this .. as many have mentioned, just say no .. it's a blanket rule for me in schools that I'm in .. if the school hold the correct license for showing DVDs and such outside of curricular activities then the film must be shown from that DVD (or resource) as appropriate. If they want the film "putting on the network so all classes can watch it" they're told no ..

Even with something in writing from the HoD, or even the chair of governors, is not a permissive right for you to break the law .. extreme (and I know it's hugely extreme) example: someone comes to you and says "would you mind killing such and such person for me" .. now, you know this is illegal, so obviously you say no. You don't say "well, it's actually illegal to do so, but if you're insistent about it, please can you put it in writing then it'll be ok?"

Like I say, extreme example, but it highlights the invalidity of saying "get it in writing" as it's still you that has committed the punishable offense. If they are persistent about you breaking the law, then they need to be dealt with for that.

Just my 2p worth having been there myself (it's a regular question at these times of years I've noticed).

EDIT:
    P.S; when I say I've been there, I don't mean people have approached me as hitman .. I mean, I know it's got IT within the word, but even teachers have their limits .. lol ..
    Last edited by soveryapt; 2nd December 2013 at 11:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Been asked many times for the same thing. Always been a no.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    lol now now whats your price for whacking people

on a serious note we wont copy the movies onto our system unless they have the correct number of physical copies to allow them to do what they want. And as ive learned in the tech support field always get stuff in writing :P otherwise things can go very sideways on you.

And your 2p is valued

Thank Post
    lol now now whats your price for whacking people
    Depends on the profile of the person .. but shhhh .. don't tell everyone .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    on a serious note we wont copy the movies onto our system unless they have the correct number of physical copies to allow them to do what they want.
    Alas, currently under UK copyright law media transfer is not permitted - so this to would be illegal. There was talk a couple of years back of the law being updated due to the farce that is ripping MP3's from CD's, but it's all gone a bit quiet.

Edit:Ah, just found this - Intellectual Property Bill [HL] 2013-14 — UK Parliament - might finally be legal sometime next year!
    Last edited by tmcd35; 2nd December 2013 at 12:40 PM.

Thank Post
    To best honest, although theres a question of legitimacy here, it's also worth remembering that you'd be opening a can of worms here even if you did find a workaround. Before long you'd be doing it for all the departments, and you end up with a mess.

Thank Post
    I'm pretty sure "copyright infringement" is NOT illegal as it is a civil matter. (unless you are profiting) Liability lies with the Head teacher not the perpetrator regardless of complicity. I just say no to retail DVDs but for our DVDs created from VHS Terrestrial recording it's fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,392 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    I'm pretty sure "copyright infringement" is NOT illegal as it is a civil matter. (unless you are profiting)
    Even if you're profiting, it's still a civil matter. [I think...]

But, considering how hard media-types are pushing for all but the death penalty, it's best to think of it as illegal rather than immoral.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,941 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the UK, copyright infringement is a criminal and civil matter, so it IS illegal (to clarify).

Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 is the relevant law.
    Last edited by localzuk; 2nd December 2013 at 01:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Keep ears and eyes open for forthcoming news on media conversion. There's a damned good reason optical drives are on the way out!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Keep ears and eyes open for forthcoming news on media conversion. There's a damned good reason optical drives are on the way out!
    You mean that's not driven by us educational techs who can then say to staff "I can't rip your DVD in, non of the computers have a DVD drive" ?? lol ..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Heh nah, there's rarely a need to. They break so often! (there's a joke about a coffee mug holder here somewhere!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast