+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Changing a users password without remembering it! in Technical; Oh boy, Hi All. :P This one is a good case of management implementing things they dont know anything about. ...
    Thank Post

Changing a users password without remembering it!

Oh boy,

Hi All. :P

This one is a good case of management implementing things they dont know anything about. :x

My place is tightening up security, at present we are moving people from an old NT system on to Ad on server2003, we have to reset the users password if they are not present in order to transfer the documents etc, however the user also has to keep mapped drives etc connecting to the old NT4 system once logging onto AD as some resources cannot be transferred etc at present.

However, as we override there NT4 account we have to supply a specified password, but if the user isnt there we choose this ourselves, meaning if they claim there is anything missing/changed we get the blame as a lot of them are senior bods etc. and you know the score, if there on more money than us, we lose :!:

We need a way of them changing the password from there old NT account once logged onto AD either thereselves, or for us to type in there details, username, domain etc and for it to set a password which we do not know but which possibly places a text file on the users AD desktop to enable them to access it in the future.

This is very long winded and too big to explain fully, feel free to ask direct questions etc, it may be easier as to trying to explain the whole thing :!:

Where's my resignation letter again.......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Changing a users password without remembering it!

There are a variety of tools that can scavenge passwords from the SAM file on NT4. One option (which we took 3+ years ago) was to scavenge passwords, enter them into the new AD and then force a change of password for those that we believed to be too insecure.

A bit laborious typing the passwords back in (can be done by script be we chose not to keep a record of the passwords anywhere other than the active window of the software running on the old PDC) but it saved me a heap of time in the long run.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    There are a variety of tools that can scavenge passwords from the SAM file on NT4. One option (which we took 3+ years ago) was to scavenge passwords, enter them into the new AD and then force a change of password for those that we believed to be too insecure.

A bit laborious typing the passwords back in (can be done by script be we chose not to keep a record of the passwords anywhere other than the active window of the software running on the old PDC) but it saved me a heap of time in the long run.
    The thing is, ideally we cannot come into contact with the NEW password as all, as in only the user can know whatever password is set to their account. This is to try and keep the ring of security. Before, only two people new that given password, the techy and the user, now they only want the user to know that password from start to finish.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you have admin access to the domain (especially the DCs) you can get the passwords.

Ok, a possible solution. You have access to shares anyway, you can dump the relevant files in there. Once you have set up the account on the new domain you enforce 'change password at next logon'. You tell staff members that the first time they login they must use a specified computer (on the new domain) and sat next to it is a computer on the NT domain. They change their password on the new domain ... they logoff and change it on the old domain to the same one.

They are in control and if there is any cockups then it is there problem.

It is possible to write a small VB app to map a drive from another domain based on specified credentials ... not neat either ...

The final solution is to transfer files ... get everyone to log in to the new domain once, scavenge from the new domain without anyone knowing and change the passwords on the NT domain.

Then again ... I am looking at this from a particular point of view and you can probably chuck some level of trust in there and add permissions to the drives to give access ... I just like making things difficult. I never really got into the NT4 side of things so a 2003 to NT4 trust is not really in my skillset.

Better ask Geoff^Google.

Thank Post

Hmm..
    1. Recover NT passwords using rainbow table (NT passwords SUCK)
    2. Do job as originally intended leaving AD password = NT password
    3. Deny all knowledge of ever knowing any pasword and claim the magic fairies did it

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by acrobson

However, as we override there NT4 account we have to supply a specified password, but if the user isnt there we choose this ourselves, meaning if they claim there is anything missing/changed we get the blame as a lot of them are senior bods etc. and you know the score, if there on more money than us, we lose :!:
    But as administrator you can see all documents etc anyway so even if you don't know the password they could still blame you for losses etc if they are of that mindset.

Therefore how does it matter to them if you know the passwords?

Thank Post

Dont see why it matters, as jcollings has said, as administrator, you have access to all their files anyway. If they are saying that because you gave them a new password, if any files have changed stored under their account they are going to blame you, I would complain. How many times have you seen passwords written on a piece of paper stuck on the monitor? Or given to someone so they can just get access to a file they needed?

I would inform them that if you needed to get access to their documents you can, you dont need their password.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by pallen
    Dont see why it matters, as jcollings has said, as administrator, you have access to all their files anyway. If they are saying that because you gave them a new password, if any files have changed stored under their account they are going to blame you, I would complain. How many times have you seen passwords written on a piece of paper stuck on the monitor? Or given to someone so they can just get access to a file they needed?

I would inform them that if you needed to get access to their documents you can, you dont need their password.
    The thing is, i get your point of views totally with regards to being admins we can access their files etc anyway, however, we need them to think we cannot, or atleast the senior managers of the areas which we support. Meaning we have to have something in place which on paper and in technical practice seems as if we cannot access there stuff, at least, via logging into their account directly, in reality, they dont know about the server side of things!

Thank Post

Can't you use Active Directory Migration Toolkit? This will drag the passwords from the old accounts into the new accounts and you will never see them.

Thank Post

can you migrate the usernames and passwords accross to 2003 domain, and then just make the NT server part of the new domain (not as a DC). The older files can then be accessed, and you are still using one username?

Thank Post

Like others have said, the Active Directory Migration Tool is what you need - you have the option to keep the accounts live in both domains.

With regard to sysadmins knowing passwords, it boils down to:

"If no-one knows your password, no-one can impersonate you on the school network."

As a sysadmin, I don't want to know users passwords - not only do I have to be professional and honest, I have to be seen to be professional and honest. I don't need to know the password and I leave a clear auditable trail (or the rather suspicious lack of one) if I alter a users files using administrator privileges.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread