+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Encrypting an iPad in Technical; Anyone know of a way to encrypt the data on an iPad? Happy to pay for the right product; in ...
    Thank Post

Encrypting an iPad

Anyone know of a way to encrypt the data on an iPad? Happy to pay for the right product; in this instance, a change of hardware (i.e. "get a Windows Surface") isn't an option, although I'd be interested in options for other platforms too.

To ask the wider question here, how do you support staff members accessing IL3 data on personal devices?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think if it has a password / pin code its encrypted by default. I know encryption is certainly enforceable using an MDM (Activsync will also force it on)

Thank Post
    +1 for FN-GM, If the device is passcoded - it is encrypted. If you also, supervise the device it becomes even more hardened.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    +1 for FN-GM, If the device is passcoded - it is encrypted
    Definitely encrypted, as in, cannot be read by any method? As we all know, password protection on a PC doesn't prevent the hard disk being removed and accessed as a second drive on another computer, but what you're saying is that if an iDevice has a passcode on it, then we have satisfied the requirements of the ICO regarding encryption of data which is leaving the school site - yes?

Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    If you also, supervise the device it becomes even more hardened.
    Could you expand on that a bit please...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Definitely encrypted, as in, cannot be read by any method? As we all know, password protection on a PC doesn't prevent the hard disk being removed and accessed as a second drive on another computer, but what you're saying is that if an iDevice has a passcode on it, then we have satisfied the requirements of the ICO regarding encryption of data which is leaving the school site - yes?

Could you expand on that a bit please...
    From what I can remember reading, the data is encrypted. I cant guarentee it, but Im sure a quick Google could.

Supervising the device stops other PCs/Macs being able to view the iPad in any form of device management, once you supervise your iPad to one mac - You have to use that specific mac to remove settings (If you do not have a MDM solution). This can be good, so if you set a passcode using configurator while supervising the device at the same time, nobody can remove the passcode, rendering the entire process useless.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,002 Posts

7. Thanks to Arthur from:

enjay (13th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes its a true encryption.

Thank Post
    Thanks, that's really helpful and highly reassuring. This must only be true of IOS not Android, unfortunately, as I have an application on my PC which synchronises my music between PC and Android phone, and that works even when the phone is locked.

Also, could an iUser tell me what is accessible on an iPhone/iPad if it is connected to a computer (presumably a Mac) via a cable - I know that with my Android devices, they present as removable storage media (like pen drives) even when locked.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,002 Posts
    This must only be true of iOS not Android
    Android devices can be encrypted too, although it may depend upon which tablet or smartphone you have.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2844831?hl=en

Thank Post
    Sadly the simple 4 digit pin is not seen as sufficient as there are ways around the pin, also doesn't IL3 need to be 2FA?

There are companies out there like Bitzer Mobile - Simplifying Enterprise Mobility that offer protection that might fit what you're looking for

Thank Post
    Hi

as an iUser (like that by the way) the normal sync of an iPad through iTunes for example, allows transference of only the file types supported by both the iPad and the iTunes software, namely music, movies, images, iBooks (Win users) etc. You can also drag into iTunes any file which can be opened in an iOS app, such as pages etc.

Some iPad apps allow disk usage, which would then possibly mount like any removable disk, depending on config of the app, and the pc its attached to. On a Mac, any iOS device does not mount like an external disk would be default and its down to command line stuff i believe, to try to get it seen by mac osx as a disk in that way. Can't speak for windows though since you use windows i assume, you can test this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    Sadly the simple 4 digit pin is not seen as sufficient as there are ways around the pin
    That's not what the Apple PDF posted above says... What ways are there around the PIN?

doesn't IL3 need to be 2FA?
    Don't think so. Some of the data held in our Learning Platform is IL3, but it will let me download it if I re-enter my password. I'll double-check that...

There are companies out there like Bitzer Mobile - Simplifying Enterprise Mobility that offer protection that might fit what you're looking for
    Looks interesting, but not quite hitting the mark as it seems to be about securing data transfer, and what we want to do is protect files on devices should the device be lost/stolen.
    Last edited by enjay; 13th November 2013 at 04:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Android devices can be encrypted too, although it may depend upon which tablet or smartphone you have.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2844831?hl=en
    Thanks. It would appear that my phone can do that - you learn something new every day!

Thank Post
    Enforce complex pass codes, enforce wipe after X failed attempts. Can set this up via Exchange or via Apple MDM / Configurator.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread