+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
How do you do....it? Thread, Printing: Naming and shaming in Technical; ...
  1. #1

    Little-Miss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,532
    Thank Post
    2,405
    Thanked 779 Times in 473 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    548

    Printing: Naming and shaming

    Who does it? Is there any comeback from it?

    Since i orignally alerted staff to their printing, a lot of them have calmed down and put a bit more thought into it.

    Except one, she just seems to have ignored everything ive said and she's actually my main culprit. This member of staff printed 66 pages of colour on Friday (when i wasn't here). I've given them all £3 worth of credit (but they don't know and it's not limited) because i was trying to gauge how much the need and how much they go through in a week, and after a week the majority of staff still have credit available, the member of staff in question used her entire £3 in one sitting.

    I've removed the names from my original print out and plan to stick that on the board just to open their eyes a bit.

    Is it my job to go around lecturing staff on their printing, or is it the role of the Phase leader perhaps?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    171
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 42 Times in 32 Posts
    Rep Power
    28
    This is a problem I have in my school and it has been made worse since the HT decided that it was too expensive for staff to colour photocopy so they now print everything multiple times! I use printworks free edition to monitor whos printing what to where and then at the beginning of each month print out a graph showing whos printed most (how many copies, how many pages.) I also have printer credits running on the network but thats just so I can see at a glance whos taking the mickey. When I asked the most prolific printer why she didn't use the mono photocopier rather than printing out a 30 copies of the same document I was told it was too far for her to walk to the photocopier (two flights of stairs) The staff think it's me thats being tight on printing but I've been told by the HT that there will not be any more money for toner! When we do run out of toner and that will be before christmas I will be pointing them (the teachers) in his direction. he gets paid the big buckets to face the wraith of teachers who can't print! Send your teaches to the SMT/phase leaders , why should you put up with the fall out of their decisions!

  3. #3

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,437
    Thank Post
    1,682
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    460
    Name and shame

    46 colour pages is mental in my opinion, and should be done on either a colour photocopier or a reprographics printer where the toner doesn't cost as much per unit of ink.

    In my last job, I named and shamed, and it also included the MD who printer black and white pages on his colour printer, when he had access to a laser printer which worked out much cheaper. Naming and shaming brought the attention to the finance director who said he was wasting money on the printer and since rectified the issue. It does work provided your team are willing to help.

  4. #4

    fiza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,297
    Thank Post
    456
    Thanked 330 Times in 278 Posts
    Rep Power
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    This is a problem I have in my school and it has been made worse since the HT decided that it was too expensive for staff to colour photocopy so they now print everything multiple times! I use printworks free edition to monitor whos printing what to where and then at the beginning of each month print out a graph showing whos printed most (how many copies, how many pages.) I also have printer credits running on the network but thats just so I can see at a glance whos taking the mickey. When I asked the most prolific printer why she didn't use the mono photocopier rather than printing out a 30 copies of the same document I was told it was too far for her to walk to the photocopier (two flights of stairs) The staff think it's me thats being tight on printing but I've been told by the HT that there will not be any more money for toner! When we do run out of toner and that will be before christmas I will be pointing them (the teachers) in his direction. he gets paid the big buckets to face the wraith of teachers who can't print! Send your teaches to the SMT/phase leaders , why should you put up with the fall out of their decisions!
    Link to printworks? My Googlefu cant find it.

  5. #5

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,373
    Thank Post
    1,500
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,795 Posts
    Rep Power
    776
    Surely even a colour photocopier is cheaper than a colour printer?
    @Little-Miss
    This really ISN'T your problem. You just provide the stats to SLT or whoever wants them. Personally I would leave the names on the list you put on the board - just for information purposes.

    Not in your remit to lecture staff about printing so you can lay that burden down straight away.

    I know you care, we all do- I had something similar when we paid for Print Manager and I sorted out all the restrictions etc and then was told to take it all off because the staff didn't like it. I managed to rescue "not printing websites" and the children cannot print again for 2 mins to stop multi button pressing but that was all. There is now a full scale war going on between staff and the office who have been forced into buying expensive originals due to our carp printers and cannot believe how long they (dont) last.
    I have set the printers to override, have a script to print in black and white as default, and there is someone in every yeargroup detailed to take the toners out and shake them once the printing gets faded. That's the best I can do so now I DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT ANY MORE. And nor should you

  6. #6

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,070
    Thank Post
    1,898
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Rep Power
    833
    I agree that this a problem for SLT.

    After getting earache about the spend on toner, I presented the stats to our Bursar and HT.

    One third done by one individual, a teacher
    One third done by one department
    One third by everyone else... Including the office

    SLT took ownership at last and things changed. I could not have done it myself. I don't have the clout

  7. #7

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,155
    Thank Post
    1,422
    Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    554
    SMT to deal with.
    I print out the reports from PaperCut and the Deputy rants at staff meetings. Works for me.

  8. #8

    Little-Miss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,532
    Thank Post
    2,405
    Thanked 779 Times in 473 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    548
    Using papercut at the moment, wondering if there's a way to email reports to certain staff of certain staff. I shall try the phase leader again, last time he just laughed. But will try SLT overall.

    We don't have a colour photocopier....I wont go there, it's not under my control....

  9. #9

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,342
    Thank Post
    405
    Thanked 652 Times in 595 Posts
    Rep Power
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Using papercut at the moment, wondering if there's a way to email reports to certain staff of certain staff. I shall try the phase leader again, last time he just laughed. But will try SLT overall.

    We don't have a colour photocopier....I wont go there, it's not under my control....
    There is indeed. It's under scheduled reporting.

  10. #10
    CamelMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    251
    Thank Post
    29
    Thanked 76 Times in 52 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    In papercut you can also do a "Green" report on how many trees they have used in their printing.

    Can sometimes help if the cost argument isnt getting through!

    There is a built in top 10 printers report in the report sections that some schools stick up in the staff room. I just autoemail the HoD the report and let them fight it out internally.

  11. #11

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,684
    Thank Post
    641
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    I shall try the phase leader again, last time he just laughed.
    ...[censored] this guy.

    I can see why you want to leave.

    And to stay on-topic: We only dictate how many pages people can print per week.

    I want to get papercut to name and shame the ones printing 30-60 pages of stuff in colour for their class [and then just leaving it by the printer for months] but nobody wants to pay for it.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    87
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 22 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    We're about to implement termly quotas per faculty, in the hope of getting people to take a bit of ownership and allow us to stay on budget with copy costs. Of course, the true test is the stance taken when faculties run out of budget before the end of term.

  13. #13
    TechSupp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,972
    Thank Post
    320
    Thanked 126 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Who does it? Is there any comeback from it?

    Since i orignally alerted staff to their printing, a lot of them have calmed down and put a bit more thought into it.

    Except one, she just seems to have ignored everything ive said and she's actually my main culprit. This member of staff printed 66 pages of colour on Friday (when i wasn't here). I've given them all £3 worth of credit (but they don't know and it's not limited) because i was trying to gauge how much the need and how much they go through in a week, and after a week the majority of staff still have credit available, the member of staff in question used her entire £3 in one sitting.

    I've removed the names from my original print out and plan to stick that on the board just to open their eyes a bit.

    Is it my job to go around lecturing staff on their printing, or is it the role of the Phase leader perhaps?

    Thanks
    That sounds as if you are talking about my school! We dont have limits but they know I collate all the printing and name and shame on the staff notice board....of course its never them even though they have their own codes! and yes I do have one of the senior management, the worst culpit, who just shrugs her shoulders and says she doesnt care! This term with printing my budget is fast running out. I'm dreading the next bill!

  14. #14

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,155
    Thank Post
    1,422
    Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    554
    Quote Originally Posted by clockend25 View Post
    the true test is the stance taken when faculties run out of budget before the end of term.
    Indeed!
    Currently, SMT are saying when the budget has gone, its gone.
    Staff are able to check their remaining quotas any time they want and are given projections of when their quota will run out based on current usage. Couple of year groups are already falling short, but they know about it.
    So yeah we'll see what happens when the quota ends

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    276
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 70 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    All our staff printing is charged to departments. Its up to them how they spend it. They get the bill at the end of each month.

    We have moved some areas over to networked photocopiers. These can also be used to scan to a pdf that gets emailed to them.

    As everyone else has said, its not our job to police the schools finances, thats up to SLT and the finance dept.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Switch printing off and on XP Home
    By SimpleSi in forum Windows
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th January 2009, 11:34 AM
  2. Very erudite - print it and read it
    By mattx in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26th May 2008, 11:54 AM
  3. Print Management and Time
    By Simon_Gibbs in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th May 2008, 11:54 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30th January 2007, 11:27 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •