+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Printing: Naming and shaming in Technical; I've facing the same problem here. We print to a colour photocopier, we are charged 5p / colour sheet, 1/2p ...
    Bev

Thank Post
    I've facing the same problem here. We print to a colour photocopier, we are charged 5p / colour sheet, 1/2p per black and white. There is currently a pile of unclaimed copying on the staffroom table that must have cost over 50 to print. Approx 2 reams of paper all in colour.

Thank Post
    We use pcounter. Students get an initial 3 and once that is gone, they have to buy more. Staff can print what they like, although colour printers are few and far between and the most convenient way for them to print is in reprographics, where the nice ladies do it for you.

At my last school we used pcounter and students got 5. When that 5 was gone, they got another 5 without handing over any money. I never did the the point of having it in place, but the IT manager insisted and who was I to argue.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Problem is we're a primary, so no real departments to bill etc. I'm doing it as a way of making staff stop and think before printing.

Notice how i haven't mentioned the kids? That's cus they print hardly anything!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Problem is we're a primary, so no real departments to bill etc. I'm doing it as a way of making staff stop and think before printing.

thats what my print stats tend so show as well. Ive done pie charts in the past when ive noticed someone is taking the michael but generally dont bother (iirc caretaker did hundreds of pages during the holidays)

Thank Post
    We have a full safecom Pull-Print solution here, and it works great, all staff get 25 on their cards at the beginning of the academic year, which we charge 5p for A4 colour and 2p for black and white, when they run out they have to ask their budget holder for more, this gets signed on an order form to me and the budget holder can ask for a report of the member of staff usage (we had someone use 25 in the first week of term, that was swiftly rectified by the budget hold and they now send work to our lovely repo dept)

Safecom does stop them printing over so many copies as well, students get reset to 5 each month and only the GCSE photography students go over that and they just have to get their teacher to email for more.

The pull-printing stops the print that ends up at one printer and gets left there because they meant to send it to the other printer 5 meters closer to them :-)

Also I have just signed a contract with Ricoh to have all new devices which cost us 4p per colour side and 0.04p per mono, this with the lease (3 years operating so they take the MFDs back) and safecom has come up half the cost of what I am spending on consumables for our current 3 year old MFDs that we own.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post

We divide our school into PreSchool, Pre-Prep (KS1 and Reception), Lower KS2 and Upper KS2 as departments. You will find that Reception print most probably, but it's nice to prove it!

In our school it's PreSchool now that the rogue teacher has been stopped in her tracks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh yes, foundation i'm giving a break as i know they print photos for profiles etc.

I was going to do it by Phases (Foundation, Yr1&Yr2, Yr3&Yr4, Yr5&Yr6). Then at least staff can either be pulled up in Phase meetings or personally if needs be, by their head of phase (also SLT).

Thank Post
    Staff get 8 a week, KS3 get 1 a week and KS4 get 1.50 a week. 5p per a4 B/w, 10p a4 colour, 15p a3. We dont charge students who run out and in fairness hardly any do, i set it up to just to restrict the reams of cr@p they printed off. I print of a termly list off who printed most and put up in staff room with names to name and shame, i do remove the admin staff who have reason to print lots though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    There is currently a pile of unclaimed copying on the staffroom table that must have cost over 50 to print. Approx 2 reams of paper all in colour.
    I know that situation very well! Looking at now changing to a state where they must walk to copier to release prints otherwise 24hrs later its auto deleted :-D
    Surely for whats been printed they know tbey need to pick it up. It gots to a state now where if the printer is down for whatever reason they think I have done it intentionally to cut down on printing....as if I woukd do such a thing ;-)

Thank Post
    I think it always important users can always delete their unwanted documents and always shown how to do it. That does make a difference, also showing them how to cancel on the printer :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    I know that situation very well! Looking at now changing to a state where they must walk to copier to release prints otherwise 24hrs later its auto deleted :-D
    Surely for whats been printed they know tbey need to pick it up. It gots to a state now where if the printer is down for whatever reason they think I have done it intentionally to cut down on printing....as if I woukd do such a thing ;-)
    We have recently switched to this. Staff have to enter a code on the copier/printer to release their printing. Pupil printing comes out straight away. It is a good idea to do this for Data Protection reasons if no other... it stops sensitive stuff being seen by third party.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    When I asked the most prolific printer why she didn't use the mono photocopier rather than printing out a 30 copies of the same document I was told it was too far for her to walk to the photocopier (two flights of stairs)
    Whilst I agree with most of what is written on printing, I'd just like to ask:-

Add to the cost of the copying the value of the teacher's time walking down two flights of stairs, waiting for a slot on the copier, copier watching, and then walking back upstairs. Is that still less than running a print job of 30 copies? Hmmm....?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post

Add to the cost of the copying the value of the teacher's time walking down two flights of stairs, waiting for a slot on the copier, copier watching, and then walking back upstairs. Is that still less than running a print job of 30 copies? Hmmm....?
    But if you use a networked photocopier as we do in one of my schools, the teacher can send the job straight there and send a TA to pick it up - choosing a time when it is much less busy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post

as @witch says it's just a case of sending a TA down to pick the work up. I'm afraid it is just a case of laziness with this particular teacher.
    And the software I use is PaperCut not whatever I said before, (sorry must be a monday morning typing rubbish thing :$)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12