+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Print Logging - with laptops not on domain in Technical; I need to track the printing in school, as costs are escalating rapidly. We have a mix of domain computers, ...
    Bev

Thank Post

Print Logging - with laptops not on domain

I need to track the printing in school, as costs are escalating rapidly.

We have a mix of domain computers, staff laptops that are not on the domain, ipads and chromebooks. So, generally not an easy task

The ipads print to a dedicated Airprint printer, and I expect I can't monitor these.
    Chromebooks don't currently print, but I presume the will one day also print to the Airprint/Chromeprint printer.

Staff Laptops mostly print direct to printers via IP Address. I'm thinking I will need to change that to print to the shared printer?

I've looked at PrintLogger, and alsp PaperCuts. I liked the look of PaperCuts but it was stopping by laptop users from printing so I've had to remove it. PrintLogger wasn't picking up our main printer, but did pick up some of the other printers.

Anything else I can look at? Or any suggestions on how to get Papercuts to play with the laptops?

Thank Post
    Not sure if cost effective to a school but this product would capture what you needed for any domain connected printer

Print Management and Cost Recovery Software | Equitrac

Thank Post
    I've looked at PrintLogger, and alsp PaperCuts. I liked the look of PaperCuts but it was stopping by laptop users from printing so I've had to remove it.
    Sounds like it needs some configuring. It can work with non-domain computers. Just as long as they can see the print queues and the PaperCut primary server.

Bev

Thank Post
    I did get it to work by installing a client, but I can't install a client on all the laptops overnight, and if I stop everyone from printing there will be chaos. I was hoping to do something invisible to the staff. We have tried a system before where they had to enter a pin number and they could never remember their pin.

rdk

Thank Post
    We use PaperCut. Staff laptops are on the domain and there has never been any problems printing to any printers. You can also plug a local printer in and it ignores it. We have 450 (soon to be 600) student laptops that are not on the domain (access all info via the web) and they use the PaperCut web client - connects to the server via the internet, kids have an account etc and it all works fine. Not as seamless as when computers are on the domain but it does work - more clicks for the user before printing is all.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread