+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, iPads in Secondary School class in Technical; Hi guys, we are planning to introduce 15x iPad's into the English classroom and possibly order more iPad's into classes. ...

Thank Post

iPads in Secondary School class

Hi guys,

we are planning to introduce 15x iPad's into the English classroom and possibly order more iPad's into classes. I was wondering if any other secondary schools use iPad's in the classroom. I've been having a look online and it seems that primary schools are using iPad's or other secondary schools are using iPad's to use apps but can't see how they save progress on a shared iPad or give the teacher work or even do work.

If we go ahead with this we will buy the Lapsafe Sync and Charge trolley along with a mac book pro which will have Apple configurator to install apps but this is the easy part. I've been reading about Apple VPP however they only accept credit card which is going to be a pain as we can only pay via PO.

The teacher wants apps including Evernote, Skitch, Morpho, Explain everything, Pages, GoodReader, iMovie, Tellagami & iMovie. The main issue I can't get my head around this is that students will share the iPads. If they create a movie in iMovie for example or another app where they produce something how do they take it off the iPad and send it to the teacher? Another thing is how would you manage a shared storage option for multiple users where there will be a place where work can be saved off the device for students and somewhere where the teacher can put documents and resources which the students can open? The only thing I had in mind is Dropbox however the problem with this is what if one student deletes everything in the Dropbox folder as he would have the ability to do so if is able to add to that folder... But creating multiple apps for students would be so hard and something we can't manage and have backups for.

Also how do manage the Camera roll on the iPad? who deletes the image and do you have to do them one by one on each device?

Once the device is locked down I know the students will be able to delete and the Profile via settings any way to also Lock the settings section of the iPad?

Just wondering if any secondary schools are using iPad's and have all these covered

Thank Post
    In my experience iPads are a data protection minefield in secondary education, especially when sharing them between students. I'd check out this site which has loads of useful information for managing iPads: Deploying iPads in Education - ClassThink.com

Also, check out the iPad category which has further information: iPad Archives - ClassThink.com

3. 3 Thanks to unmode:

Cemito (4th November 2013), speckytecky (27th October 2013), um1t (27th October 2013)

Thank Post
    We have all of the above problems and having looked we haven't found an answer as you really need user logins or profiles . Best we have come up is to have WebDAV setup with pages for downloading , editing and saving back to the network

Thank Post
    There's no easy answer to sharing devices that are basically not designed to be shared.

I use Apple Configurator to configure the iPads that we have. On connecting them back up via USB, Apple Configurator automatically wipes the iPads and re-images them from a backup I created. That way when the next group of Students use them they wont have access to the previous users work so plagiarism etc. is ruled out.

Some teachers love them, others not so much as the websites they wanted to access on them doesn't work properly on them either due to them not supporting Flash or a mouse is really needed to interact with the website and a touch screen doesn't really work on them such as dragging and dropping things.

When you use the Apple Configurator you cant then plug the iPads in to a computer and get the images and videos off of them as it's locked to the Mac you have used Configurator on.

You could always leave them 'as is' but then they'll be full of each users files and they can then install/delete apps as and when they like so they'll all soon be full of nonsense from silly fart apps to selfshot photos of themselves.

At least with Windows RT (which is the Microsoft equivalent of the iPad) you could connect up a USB flash drive and copy and files across to that.

Let is know how you get on.
    Last edited by Fazza; 27th October 2013 at 10:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! Great link unmode, real useful website. xenonive, I don't know too much about WebDAV but i've had a look and it looks like it run on an Apache Web Server. Are you using Windows Server in your school? If so is it a complex setup? As this is what effectively what we want to do.. get students to edit their work on an iPad and then save them.

Fazza, are you using a sync and charge trolley with the Mac book connected and turned on all the time for the wiping of the iPad's to happen every lesson? Because the trolley we are looking to buy is from Lapsafe and it has a section in the trolley to store away a macbook however I don't think the trolley will allow the macbook to switched on all the time. I was under the impression that you would turn the macbook on only when you need to push a new app or wipe the iPad with a new image.

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread