+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Connecting to Surround Sound in Technical; I wonder if you all can help me with a predicament. At home, I have my Xbox360 connected to my ...

Thank Post

Connecting to Surround Sound

I wonder if you all can help me with a predicament.

At home, I have my Xbox360 connected to my DVD player, so that sound comes out via my surround sound....which is superb. However, I got struck with the idea that I should try and connect my PC through my surround sound as well (as it is already going through my TV).

The only problem is that I only have 2 phono sockets on my dvd player (1 red, 1 white) which the Xbox uses up. Now, I can get a sound lead for my PC that goes from 3.5mm jack to 2 phono leads, but to get the sound coming through my DVD player, I somehow need to take the 2 inputs to create one output (the 4 leads 2 red, 2 white going into 2... 1 red, 1 white).

Please tell me it is possible....and also...how!! And where to buy the required equipment from!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,342 Posts

Re: Connecting to Surround Sound

A mixer?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries

2 of these should do the trick: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=1018

However, are you sure you are getting true surround sound if there are only 2 phono connectors? My computer has 5 outputs for providing surround sound...

He will be getting Dolby Surround Sound from his 360.

I would think about gettign a DD 5.1 Amp and the just connect the 360 + PC + DVD via SPDIF / Optical for true DD / DTS 5/6/7.1 Surround sound

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK
    He will be getting Dolby Surround Sound from his 360.

I would think about gettign a DD 5.1 Amp and the just connect the 360 + PC + DVD via SPDIF / Optical for true DD / DTS 5/6/7.1 Surround sound
    links and price please...

Thank Post

Chuck one of these between the DVD player and the 360/PC and switch over as needed?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...C=SO&U=strat15

Thank Post

If you want the proper surround experience you need a proper decoder which will have appropreate digital inputs. If the X-box or PC are just connected with phono leads, you won't be getting true surround sound, it'll more than likely be dolby pro logic, which intelligently splits the 2 channels into 5.1 channels. This is fine for normal music etc. but if you do play any games or play things on your PC that have a dolby digital soundtrack, you won't get the full effect.

The 2 into 1 phono adapters are a solution, but remember whatever's going in one set of leads will also be going back up into the other device, which may not be good for it. Also you can get strange problems with this type of setup.

What I'd do is spend a little to vastly improve the sound, buy something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-STR-DE475...QQcmdZViewItem which has digital inputs that you can link your X-Box and DVD player into, and plenty of photo inputs for your PC and other things to use. If you wire it up properly, it will also switch the video as well, saving you having to change channels or switch scart leads.

Obviously you'll have to buy speakers for it as well, but again ebay is your friend, you can get some older equipment very cheaply, and just because it's old, doesn't mean it's no good!

Mike.

Pumaedition. I guess that you currently have a Dolby Surround Sound amp and 5 speakers (FL C FR RL RR) and maybe a sub?

Something like this would do the job http://www.richersounds.co.uk/showpr...id=YAMA-RXV361 on a budget.

Has 2 optical inputs and 1 Coaxial Input so would cover you for a DVD / 360 / PC all via DD 5.1.

If you need more inputs and even component video switching then just move up the scale and dig out some more 1s & 2s

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by maniac
    If you want the proper surround experience you need a proper decoder which will have appropreate digital inputs. If the X-box or PC are just connected with phono leads, you won't be getting true surround sound, it'll more than likely be dolby pro logic, which intelligently splits the 2 channels into 5.1 channels. This is fine for normal music etc. but if you do play any games or play things on your PC that have a dolby digital soundtrack, you won't get the full effect.

The 2 into 1 phono adapters are a solution, but remember whatever's going in one set of leads will also be going back up into the other device, which may not be good for it. Also you can get strange problems with this type of setup.

What I'd do is spend a little to vastly improve the sound, buy something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-STR-DE475...QQcmdZViewItem which has digital inputs that you can link your X-Box and DVD player into, and plenty of photo inputs for your PC and other things to use. If you wire it up properly, it will also switch the video as well, saving you having to change channels or switch scart leads.

Obviously you'll have to buy speakers for it as well, but again ebay is your friend, you can get some older equipment very cheaply, and just because it's old, doesn't mean it's no good!

Mike.
    ok, looking at the connections on the back of the Sony jobber, guide me further. Surely I can utilise the speakers I currently have with it, so thats no problem...but sound coming from the DVD player for instance, i assume I will need a SCART -> 3 Phono (Y, R, W) into the Audio/Video IN on the back, then it will transmit the sound out to the speakers. Howsabout for the PC, how would that connect through...am tempted if I can get it at a reasonable price....

Oh, and could I theoretically get rid of my DVD player if I could get surround sound to work through this, as it would play properly off Xbox or PC....

sorry for all these questions, it is the first time I have branched out into home systems!!

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/revi...DE475_rear.jpg

On the image you have supplied the amp only has 2 digital inputs. You can connect the 360 via optical ( you need the 360 HD cable) and connect you dvd via coaxial (you will need a coaxial interconector) You then connect the 360/dvd via RGB scart for the video side of things.

With that amp you would use the stereo phonos to connect your PC.

If you have any more qs just ask Used to be in to home cinema a fews years back when I had the funds to spend on it

Thank Post

right, I think I have it now...might have to watch that amp and see how much it goes for...

Thank Post

The task you are asking to complete is very simple indeed.
    I worked in a Electronics store for over 10 years, and had wish I had a dollar for everytime I was asked this question.

You will be best off to use an AV switchbox.
    e.g. http://www.videoguys.com.au/scripts/...idCategory=133
    (I live in Australia...your Local electronics store will carry this..you may have a Radio Shack or Tandy there?)

You plug the two RCA cables (Not called PHONO -. This type of plug indicates a record player as the signal is different..same plugs though) from your two or more sources into the back of the box. Then plug the box into your sound system/TV (If you want picture that is...if you don't just get an audio switchbox).

Then just select which device you want to use by pressing the button.

The guys are correct here however, It is not "true" dolby digital sound...just plain old stereo perhaps with some Dolby effects if your amp supports this.

Some devices support optical, but I am guessing your Amp doesn't have this? (Optical carries all channels in one cable as well as the surround sound channels).

The good thing about this suggestion is that you do not have to worry about feedback from any of your sources, or possibly damaging your equipment by connecting to outputs together (cause thats what your effectively doing when you don't use a switch.....)

Thank Post

Noticed you image of the back of your amp.

You don't need anything extra but some cables.
    a) Connect the DVD player RED/White RCA Calbe to the DVD/LD L+R input on the AMP.
    b) Connect the video output on the DVD player to the video in on the DVD input on the AMP.
    c) Connect the Monitor Video Out to the Video in on your TV
    d) Connect the coaxial Digital in plug to the Coax Digital out on the DVD player.
    e) If you want sound on your TV without the amp, also connect the L+R MD/Tape Out to the Audio in on the TV (Mono tvs only have one plug on them for audio)
    f) Test using the DVD/LD button on the AMP to view/listen to DVD/CDs

2. XBOX -
    a) Connect the Red/White Audio plugs from the XBox into the Video's Audio L/R in plugs.on the AMP.
    b) Connect the Video plug (yellow) from the X Box into the Video in plug of the Video section on the back of the amp.
    c) Test using the Video option on the front of the AMP.

3) PC -
    a) Connect from the headphone socket on the back of your PC to a twin RCA cable in the CD l/R sockets. (Unless you have a special PC capable of surround sound - In wich case you can probaly use the multi channel in... this means sitching off the DVD plater however. Give it a go if you want. You should find Green, Blue and black(sometimes orange) plugs on your PC. You will need three headphone to dual RCA cables for this...In my opinion its not worth it, but you may like to try anyway).

Thats is...Count the cables you need before you start.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by rrichmond
    (Not called PHONO -. This type of plug indicates a record player as the signal is different..same plugs though)
    Terribly sorry

(Although wikipedia aknowledges they are commonly refered to as phono :P ) lol

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by rrichmond
    Noticed you image of the back of your amp.

You don't need anything extra but some cables.
    a) Connect the DVD player RED/White RCA Calbe to the DVD/LD L+R input on the AMP.
    b) Connect the video output on the DVD player to the video in on the DVD input on the AMP.
    c) Connect the Monitor Video Out to the Video in on your TV
    d) Connect the coaxial Digital in plug to the Coax Digital out on the DVD player.
    e) If you want sound on your TV without the amp, also connect the L+R MD/Tape Out to the Audio in on the TV (Mono tvs only have one plug on them for audio)
    f) Test using the DVD/LD button on the AMP to view/listen to DVD/CDs

2. XBOX -
    a) Connect the Red/White Audio plugs from the XBox into the Video's Audio L/R in plugs.on the AMP.
    b) Connect the Video plug (yellow) from the X Box into the Video in plug of the Video section on the back of the amp.
    c) Test using the Video option on the front of the AMP.

3) PC -
    a) Connect from the headphone socket on the back of your PC to a twin RCA cable in the CD l/R sockets. (Unless you have a special PC capable of surround sound - In wich case you can probaly use the multi channel in... this means sitching off the DVD plater however. Give it a go if you want. You should find Green, Blue and black(sometimes orange) plugs on your PC. You will need three headphone to dual RCA cables for this...In my opinion its not worth it, but you may like to try anyway).

Thats is...Count the cables you need before you start.
    beast! thanks for that. If I manage to acquire that Amp, then I shall follow your instructions to the letter!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast