+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, MiFare Cards in Technical; Anyone use them? We're about to have a new printer/MFD fleet install that use them. Got us thinking about door ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

MiFare Cards

Anyone use them?

We're about to have a new printer/MFD fleet install that use them. Got us thinking about door locks. We currently use code pads but the kids always find out the new codes with days of them being changed.

Anyone using MiFare door entry systems? Any recommended suppliers out there?

Also, I've seen the cards come in various memory sizes (1K, 4K, etc). Does that mean we can program a single card for multiple uses? Provide MFD login and restricted door access? Bear in mind that MFD logins will be individual and different staff will have different levels of door access (ie, only network staff in the server room).

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    We are about to put in external gates that work using RFID cards. We specified MiFare in the contract because that is also how our MFD fleet work. The company (who I don't recall the name of as the business manager dealt with it) assured us that our MiFare would be fine. Ours are 1k cards.

3. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

tmcd35 (11th October 2013)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use Mifare for door entry and printing. 1K cards. Both Mifare and unbranded. Both work fine. Our MFD partner sourced them for us.

5. Thanks to tech_guy from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So a single 1K MiFare card will operate both systems? Staff won't need to carry multiple cards for different systems? Good to know.
    @tech_guy, I don't suppose you know who makes/supplied/installed your door entry system by any chance?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Anyone use them?
    I'm working on it - I've asked our printer company about them several times but with no result, and we've had a random sales chap come in and have a look at the doors to see about a door entry system, but nothing much has happened so far. I can't help but think it should be really quite simple to just make our own - hook a Raspberry Pi up to a USB MiFare reader, attach a mechanism to have it be able to control a solendoid lock and set it up to integrate with Active Directory. We're in central London, pretty much everyone has an Oyster card with them so we can just have them re-use those.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So a single 1K MiFare card will operate both systems? Staff won't need to carry multiple cards for different systems? Good to know.
    @tech_guy, I don't suppose you know who makes/supplied/installed your door entry system by any chance?
    I will find out for you. Our Bursar dealt with it.

9. Thanks to tech_guy from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I had biometrics installed when we did the photocopier solution thing.

But they it was going to be tied into the Cashless catering system which used Bio.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, Biometrics is one can of worms I don't want to open. We unplugged the fingerprint reader from our library system rather than have that conversation with parents.

Thank Post
    For info - You don't program the card with anything. All the card does is provide a unique identifier to the system that it talks to.

Because the cards are not programmed, but the systems, when someone leaves, you deactivate their unique identifier on the systems which stops them from accessing areas after their employment terminates.

It also means that you can program systems round the office to work with Oyster cards!

13. Thanks to crt404 from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So, when someone joins/leaves we have to go around all the doors (I'll assume photocopiers will be updated via the network) and reprogram them?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crt404 View Post
    For info - You don't program the card with anything. All the card does is provide a unique identifier to the system that it talks to.
    You don't *need* to, but you can program them if there is an advantage for your setup.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    You don't *need* to, but you can program them if there is an advantage for your setup.
    Okay, getting confused now!?!

Ideally this is what I want...

• All staff wear an ID badge, we want some kind of contactless technology for printing and door entry built into the ID badge (MiFare?).
    • Photocopiers - log jobs to departments based on AD OU group staff is member of, information taken from ID badge
    • Different door entry for different staff. Classrooms, all staff. Server room, IT Techs. Boiler Room, Site staff. etc.
    • Most staff will only be able to access one type of door, other need to access multiple types of door (caretaker can get everywhere, etc)

Seems to me the neatest solution is to tell the door - "only allow access to 'staff'", or "only allow access to 'technicians' and 'site'". Then tell the card "you can accesss 'staff' only", or "you can access 'techicians' and 'staff'", etc.

Does that make sense? is it doable? am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thank Post
    Okay, getting confused now!?!

Ideally this is what I want...

• All staff wear an ID badge, we want some kind of contactless technology for printing and door entry built into the ID badge (MiFare?).
    • Photocopiers - log jobs to departments based on AD OU group staff is member of, information taken from ID badge
    • Different door entry for different staff. Classrooms, all staff. Server room, IT Techs. Boiler Room, Site staff. etc.
    • Most staff will only be able to access one type of door, other need to access multiple types of door (caretaker can get everywhere, etc)

Seems to me the neatest solution is to tell the door - "only allow access to 'staff'", or "only allow access to 'technicians' and 'site'". Then tell the card "you can accesss 'staff' only", or "you can access 'techicians' and 'staff'", etc.

Does that make sense? is it doable? am I barking up the wrong tree?
    None of those things will be a problem whether you program the card or use the builtin code.
    All of the access restrictions will be done on the door system software - that will just query a database that holds the card number and the access permissions.

18. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Thank Post
    We supply these. Feel free to drop me an email/call/PM to discuss.

Luke

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We used a company called T2-Technology.
    The platform is Net2, Paxton System with Mifare cards/generic cards.

21. Thanks to tech_guy from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast