+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Script to copy file/folder from network location in Technical; Hi, We have Symantec Backup Exec on our main server, but I am finding that there are odd files or ...

Thank Post

Wink Script to copy file/folder from network location

Hi,

We have Symantec Backup Exec on our main server, but I am finding that there are odd files or folders stored on other servers, which could well do with being backed up.
    Rather than purchase more licences of Symantec, it would be much easier if I could create a script to simply copy the folder or file across to the main server such that it can be backed up.

Does anyone know if there is a way of doing this? The main problem will be that the files or folders are on another server on the network, so presumably would need to be accessed via a net map and I know that command prompt does not work so well with net maps, maybe power shell?

Any help would be really good

Thank Post
    Obviously you won't need all I put in there as that was for full backup etc, but Robocopy works with UNC paths etc.

robocopy help

Any use?

Steve

3. Thanks to Steve21 from:

talksr (25th September 2013)

Thank Post
    I would say use robocopy in a batch file and schedule it to run so that it completes before the server is backed up.
    The downside of this approach is that it won't copy any files that happen to be in use at the time robocopy is run. You can add the /r:0 and /w:0 switches so that it doesn't fail at the first error, but this will still leave you with uncopied files if they were in use at the time.

If the files are that important, bite the bullet and buy the Backup Exec server agent you require - I don't think its that expensive, especially if the data on the second server is of high enough importance.

5. Thanks to hallb15 from:

talksr (25th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks for your posts. I think I am just going to take the plunge and get the Backup Exec agent I need.

Can anyone recommend some good backup mediums to backup on to? I have been using a 2tb nas, and our HP StorageWorks SAN server, but both are filling up and I could do with something dedicated for backups. Had looked at this which looked quite impressive:
    QNAP TS-869 PRO 8 Bay NAS Enclosure | Ebuyer.com
    It would be easy enough to backup to disk.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread