+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Laptops + Trolley in Technical; Our drama department has been approved 20 laptops and a laptop trolley, so I'm after suggestions of the most trouble ...
    Thank Post

Laptops + Trolley

Our drama department has been approved 20 laptops and a laptop trolley, so I'm after suggestions of the most trouble free (ha) laptops you lot here can recommend, windows 7 x64, ideally intel based.

Also recommendations of a trolley?

These are going to be used purely for internet + Office, where the main purpose of office will be for controlled assessment write ups (5000 words per student)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,802 Times in 1,551 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Our new purchases are Dell Latitude E5530 with I5's. They are pretty decent.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Our drama department has been approved 20 laptops and a laptop trolley, so I'm after suggestions of the most trouble free (ha) laptops you lot here can recommend, windows 7 x64, ideally intel based.

Also recommendations of a trolley?

These are going to be used purely for internet + Office, where the main purpose of office will be for controlled assessment write ups (5000 words per student)
    I could do you a good deal on 20 Lenovo X201 / T410 (i5, 6GB RAM, 160GB HDD) with either a monarch or lapsafe trolley. They will be more than suitable for what you mentioned

Give me a call / drop me an email or PM

4. Thanks to ICTDirect_Dave from:

mrbios (25th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Toshiba always do well in EDU with a Monarch, Lapsafe, etc. Drop me a email with details of the specs you want and price range and I'll see what I can do

6. Thanks to Millgate from:

Thank Post
    Thanks chaps, interestingly i need 3 quotes so i'll PM you both

Thank Post
    Thanks chaps, interestingly i need 3 quotes so i'll PM you both
    I can be your third quote if you like

9. Thanks to VeryPC_Tom_B from:

Thank Post
    Thank you chaps That's probably the easiest 3 quote gathering I've ever had.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We aim to please

Thank Post
    Just wanted to ask publicly so other schools could answer too.....

I'm curious to know why the Toshiba Satalite pros are the first consideration in this aspect? I've no strong feelings towards any laptop brand one way or the other so i'm happy to consider everything that's recommended but I'm curious as to why these were the go to laptops to quote for at the moment? What's the opinion of end users on these so far?

Thanks you all for your replies by the way, received them all, i'll be in touch once we've considered our options and spoken to the people involved who these are going to be for.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    My personal view on Toshiba Laptops is avoid and go for the Thinkpads. I had a lot of bad history with Toshiba Laptops, albeit a few years ago now but they sucked and were not child or teacher proof yet Lenovo (and IBM before that) are bulletproof That is my 10p worth and I am sure that someone will come on and say the complete opposite

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,237 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I am sure that someone will come on and say the complete opposite
    Yep
    I exclusively use Toshiba Sat Pro and only had 2 issues of note that required a warranty swap out in the last 7ish years. The 3 year edu warranty is cheap as chips and support is excellent.

Thank Post
    My personal view on Toshiba Laptops is avoid and go for the Thinkpads. I had a lot of bad history with Toshiba Laptops, albeit a few years ago now but they sucked and were not child or teacher proof yet Lenovo (and IBM before that) are bulletproof That is my 10p worth and I am sure that someone will come on and say the complete opposite
    I've had bad experiences with various brands of laptops in the past but i'll never really let that deter me from what's current. Generally i'll keep a sort of 3 year view of things, if i find a bad product that doesn't fit its purpose one year, i'll not really consider them again for 2-3 years to give time for the products to change and the issues to be resolved as technology turns over so quickly it's never really suitable to say "X company make poor laptops while Y company make brilliant laptops". Things can change so quickly.

So question is how long ago did you find them to be poor?

Thank Post
    I've had bad experiences with various brands of laptops in the past but i'll never really let that deter me from what's current. Generally i'll keep a sort of 3 year view of things, if i find a bad product that doesn't fit its purpose one year, i'll not really consider them again for 2-3 years to give time for the products to change and the issues to be resolved as technology turns over so quickly it's never really suitable to say "X company make poor laptops while Y company make brilliant laptops". Things can change so quickly.

So question is how long ago did you find them to be poor?
    Under 3 years I don't think I've seen a well made product from them which in my opinion is suitable for the education market for many years.

Thank Post
    Under 3 years I don't think I've seen a well made product from them which in my opinion is suitable for the education market for many years.
    That's a fair opinion, i'll take that into consideration then, cheers

If you were to recommend me a specific model of laptop for less than £330ex vat what do you think you'd go for?

I've got two options:
    Cheap and cheerful, expect it to break or be too slow after 3 years and make that well known to them so that they plan to replace after 3-4 years which works out about £250 per laptop unless i can find anything cheaper.

OR

I go for something with the intention of it lasting 5 years or more and having them replace them only once they become too slow to use but a bit more pricey and hopefully better built?

I'm assured by both the teacher and the people who know this teacher well (she's new this year) that she's very reliable and previously had a laptop trolley in her old school which she kept good care of (though they were shared between floors and only ever damanged by otehrs)

It's a difficult one....as i don't just want something that fits there needs but i also want to cover ourselves because i don't want to be banging my head on the screen in 5 years when I'm trying to support a device which is far too long in the tooth to be worth the time spent fixing it (like our current old science laptops....eurgh *shudders*) which is also why I'm considering 60gb SSDs in them instead of HDDs.

Thank Post
    I would look at something from Dave @ ICT Direct some of his Thinkpads get them and a 3 year warranty and plan to repalce them after 3

19. Thanks to john from:

ICTDirect_Dave (25th September 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast