+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Inform staff of how to use drive structures in Technical; Right then, so it would seem that staff have completely forgotten how to use the folder structures on the network ...
    Thank Post

Inform staff of how to use drive structures

Right then, so it would seem that staff have completely forgotten how to use the folder structures on the network here (either that or they don't give a .....) so I'm just wondering how anal I get about telling them about the drive structure again.

I've written out a "this is what each person sees" with a Student and Staff list, but it's 2 pages of A4 an I doubt anyone will actually pay any attention to it, so how do you explain about the drive structure? Do I put a note up saying "I've noticed a lot of files are being saved incorrectly on the network. Please see me if you do not understand the folder structure" thing then, if they come to me, give them the 2 sheets of A4 with a brief chat about how the files should be stored etc? Do I request a staff meeting to go over the drive structure and even give them chance to think of something better if they feel they have particular needs that aren't being met?

Rule of thumb here we have Students who get a My Documents and a Class Share (so each class has it's own shared folder to make it easy for staff to place files available for each child). Staff get a My Documents, Staff Share, Scanned Docs folder (from our MFPs), Access to all the class shares for the students and Clicker SuperDrive. Both sets also have a shared folder where they can put photostories and such that they want putting on the reception screen, though that is more of a legacy thing now which I'll probably get rid of. Obviously there are exceptions (admin drives for SIMS etc) but that's generally how it works.

So just wondering how to explain they shouldn't be storing any pupil data on the drives the pupils can access etc.

How do you guys go about it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    How do you guys go about it.
    If you don't save where you're supposed to, your Internet is disabled.

Do it again, you get the cattle prod.[/BOFH]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    If you don't save where you're supposed to, your Internet is disabled.

Do it again, you get the cattle prod.[/BOFH]
    Lol .. Ok, anyone slightly less violent versions? lol .. though I can see that working (though there are probably a few staff who would probably disobey just to get the cattle prod here .. kinky .. lol)

Thank Post
    Draw a "pyramid" of the data structure with the pupil's folders at the bottom and a honking great line across the pyramid explaining that EVERYTHING below the line can be seen by the pupils.

They'll still ignore it, but at least you can say that you made it easy to understand!

5. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

soveryapt (24th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Force them using groups and ntfs permissions?

Ben

7. Thanks to plexer from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Draw a "pyramid" of the data structure with the pupil's folders at the bottom and a honking great line across the pyramid explaining that EVERYTHING below the line can be seen by the pupils.

They'll still ignore it, but at least you can say that you made it easy to understand!
    True .. I like that idea actually ..

Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Force them using groups and ntfs permissions?

Ben
    Oh, things are already secured and such, that's not what I'm asking. The thing we have is that we have one folder that has class shared folders in it, so basically, all the Pupils in Class A have access to the Class A folder within that main folder, Class B pupils Class B Folder etc. To allow staff the ability to put files in that all pupils need access to, the staff have access to the main folder that holds all the class folders as a drive on their computers. The problem is, there are a number of files and folders that I suspect shouldn't be anywhere near where the pupils have access and it's just turned into a dumping group for them. So its how best to educate them for what each drive is.

Edit: Though having said that, I can stop the renaming of folders and saving outside of the folder structure I guess .. lol ..
    Last edited by soveryapt; 24th September 2013 at 01:11 PM.

Thank Post
    That's the ticket.

Ben

10. Thanks to plexer from:

Thank Post
    That's the ticket.

Ben
    But still, it's the "don't put data pupils shouldn't see or need in pupil accessible places" so putting their lesson plans in isn't helpful etc. At least my folder structure should be safe now, I've just been too trusting with it previously obviously .. lol ..

Thank Post
    We have a staffonly drive and a public one not to say that stuff that shouldn't be there doesn't get put in public but it's 2 distinctly separate areas then.

Ben

Thank Post
    We have a staffonly drive and a public one not to say that stuff that shouldn't be there doesn't get put in public but it's 2 distinctly separate areas then.

Ben
    Yeah, I guess the K.I.S.S. approach might be better .. I'll have a word with some of the staff who won't bite my head off and snarl raising every other issue under the sun and see what they think ..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    If they don't understand a hierarchical directory structure now (from the 1960's? 70's?) they probably never will.
    Why not just accept it doesn't work and move onto search and labeling instead?

Thank Post
    Your directory structure does appear overly complex.

You could reduce the error rate a bit by using access based enumeration*, but I'd aim for a leaner set of shares.

*say I teach GCSEHistorySet02, ASHistorySet03, A2HistorySet01 and those sets are created as security groups in AD (kids + people who teach them) and folders in \\server\classes.

In \\server\classes I'd only see the 3 folders for the classes I teach and the kids would just see their subject classes.

Edit: DFS doesn't support access-based enumeration properly until Server 2008 or greater.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread