+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, IT Support in Technical; well like it says in the forum title...how do you do it? see we are lucky to have 3 full ...
    Thank Post

IT Support

well like it says in the forum title...how do you do it?

see we are lucky to have 3 full time techs - 5 modern apps - a network co-ordinator and network manager.

we have 6 buildings - one tech based four and two in the remaining two. they are responsible for ALL it stuff in the whole buidling. this does work well as they take responisbility for everything and have no way to claim they knew nothing about problems or requests etc. course this does cause problems where there is a lack of communication and a lack of general IT knowledge on day to day IT faults on the network.

works well as staff know where to go for IT help in the building/area they are in but leaves full time techs bogged down in general day to day IT work that when they need to be off dealing with other more important issues.

we are a technology colege and aspirations are very high on IT use but staff scared and untrusting on the system, im still trying to get the boss to let me change my job to be more staff lead and get them confident in the systems they use and the network..maybe next year...my bright idea for the moment was to hold an IT support event in the hall/theatre (yes we have both!) demonstating what we actaully do, dealing with issues, talking to staff, demonstating what they can do with the system or them telling us what they want from the system etc.

we have so much technology here but is used so little...a VC unit used less than 10 times in 3 years, activboards with activvote used...less than 10 times, software brought - used less than 10 times...digital dispays - used with powerpoint - used poorly. do you see where i'm going here? we have all the ideas and technology but staff lack confidence in making use...my idea of having a day to see the staff get them confident with using the systems and not to be scared of it all..their worry is it not working and messing up the lesson, would love to combat that fear! i work with a primary school also...its amazing how much they adapt
    to not having IT working compared to a secondary school!

any thoughts to my suggstions would be brill!!!

thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: IT Support

Welcome to the site.

You will find lots of differences between schools when it comes to IT Support.

I'll start the ball rolling with an idea or two for you.

Yes, telling staff (all staff ... teachers, classroom support, admin) what you do is a good place to start.

I would suggest that you put together a pack (which can then be given out to new staff as they arrive) which includes a list of all the facilities at the school (perhaps not that many staff know about the VC kit?) and how to book them.

Also include some basic fault finding information so that people know what information you need to quickly fix things.

If you have a set of priorities in your school then let people know about them ... whole school issues first, then things affecting class groups and finally individual users.

Also, try to find ways that you can collect issues between the team. it may be that one peron is having a quiet day and can do some backend stuff for someone else. If you don't have a ticket system then have a search through the forums here for ideas. (My Little Helpdesk, Liberum, OneOrZero and so on).

This is just for starters ... there are lots more ideas out there.

Thank Post

With refeence to the technology being under used, in my experience the following applies;

If they don't know it's there, it won't get used;
    If they're afraid they'll break it, it won't get used;
    If they've had a bad experience with it, it won't get used;
    If they think it will be un-reliable, it won't get used;
    If they're un-sure how to use it, it won't get used;
    If they think there's no support, it won't get used.

There's a few more, but they are a teachers worst fears when it comes to technology in my experience. If you ask a teacher why they don't use a particular item of technology, then you will probably get one of those answers.

And that's a good place to start with that problem, ask the staff why they don't use things you would expect them to, best way is to do this verbally in conversation, not some sort of official survey. You don't have to do this for all staff, just a small sample. Once you know why, you can put in changes to tackle those problems if they're applicable to your department, or advise your head teacher if they're not things you have an influence over.

Mike.

Thank Post

We found that identifying IT savvy teachers and encouraging them was the best way forward. That gave us a core of teachers willing to experiment with the IT which spreads to the other teachers who want to improve lessons.

Some even hold there own workshops for members of their departments.

Another option we started with was to have an ICT Steering Group which met every term to discuss IT issues. This helped get across ideas and knowledge of what was available etc.

Over the last 4 years we have gone from having 1 or 2 IT savvy teachers to nearly 80% using it on a regular basis with the remainder using it on occassion.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by alan-d
    We found that identifying IT savvy teachers and encouraging them was the best way forward. That gave us a core of teachers willing to experiment with the IT which spreads to the other teachers who want to improve lessons.

Some even hold there own workshops for members of their departments.
    We tried to have this sort of set up... try to get one solid, IT savvy teacher in each department and get them to be an <buzzword alert>IT Champion</buzzword alert> where they can pass on their expertise and enthusiasm for ICT to their dept colleagues.

The other staff in that dept also gained a ‘friendlier’ face to go to with general IT related questions, questions they may not have had the confidence to approach us with. .

This ‘post’ came with half a management point and after the recent teacher / management points shake up our previous Head decided that this particular duty didn’t warrant any extra remuneration. Needless to say the dept IT person naturally decided not to do it anymore and the school, ICT wise, is a worse place for it.

Since then I have started using Tony’s term ‘manglement’ for SLT

Thank Post

I second what alan-d says - get the more competent teachers on board, and then have them trickle it out to the others. Let's be honest, while your technical knowledge is good, your ability to teach is probably not so good, so you might not be the best person to promote IT in the classroom.

I'd also like to add one more very common response to Mike's list - if they don't know what it's for. Maybe the reason they're not using the VC kit is because they don't know what it does, or don't have a link school to VC with; similarly, maybe they just see the Activboards as pen boards and aren't really interacting with it, so won't fully understand what else it could bring to their lessons.

I do like your phrase "staff lead" - that is one of the most important aspects to getting this stuff being used. If it got bought because your predecessor, the Head, the Govs etc thought it would be good or had seen one in another school / at BETT, it is unlikely to get off the ground; if, on the other hand, it was bought because a teacher said "I would like an xyz because..." it will get much more use. All technology must be a resource at the teacher's disposal, not another new thing forced on them against their will and without discussion.

So, get the really competent teachers on-board from the outset, and have a friendly informal chat with the slightly less competent ones to find out what they know, what they would like to do and how you can help them. It seems harsh, but leave the complete technophobes for now, they'll come later as they see - and more importantly hear about - technology being used by their peers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread