+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, How to find out which machine a student logged onto, & when in Technical; I used to use one a few years back, basically on the Domain controller write a small VBS file as ...

Thank Post

Re: How to find out which machine a student logged onto, & w

I used to use one a few years back, basically on the Domain controller write a small VBS file as follows

CurrentDate = Now
    cmdstr = "cmd /c net session > " & DatePart("YYYY",CurrentDate) & "." & DatePart("M",CurrentDate) & "." & DatePart("D",CurrentDate)
    cmdstr = cmdstr & "-" & hour(CurrentDate) & "." & minute(CurrentDate) & "." & second(CurrentDate) & ".txt"
    dim WShell

Set WShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WShell.Run cmdstr

Add this file to task scheduler on the domain controller and run it every 5 minutes. You can change the location of the logfiles by adding a path just after the ">" on the second line of the script. You'll then have a folder full of logfiles, but if you compress the folder that they are in, they hardly take up any space at all. the contents of each log file state the username, computername and date and time stamp.

I could make this script create a new folder each day etc but to keep things simple it's "as it".

I've just tested this on my home server (2003) at it works fine.

-Kev

Thank Post

Re: How to find out which machine a student logged onto, & when

That is indeed the limit login that I was taking about. Downloaded it ages ago but didn't have a sensible server to run the sql at the time. Its probably on the ms site somewhere (you know how they like to move things).

Thank Post

It says it doesnt need SQL it uses AD. You must be thinking of CConect.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    It says it doesnt need SQL it uses AD. You must be thinking of CConect.
    It could be, its been a while and I was looking at several at the time. Must be too busy :P

Come to think of it thats probably why I downloaded it and got rid of the others.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@indiegirl

I think I've messed up the file upload section I'll have to wait and see. If you want the scripts I can email them to you?

I finally found them on an old PC at home lol

Wes

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmcaleer
    CurrentDate = Now
    cmdstr = "cmd /c net session > " & DatePart("YYYY",CurrentDate) & "." & DatePart("M",CurrentDate) & "." & DatePart("D",CurrentDate)
    cmdstr = cmdstr & "-" & hour(CurrentDate) & "." & minute(CurrentDate) & "." & second(CurrentDate) & ".txt"
    dim WShell

WShell.Run cmdstr
    My script does what the post asks! Its free and doesn't need anything like mySQL to work. you just run the script and it will tell you who is logged on and where. schedule it to run and you have a (searchable) history.

-Kev

Thank Post

No major rush, I managed to find a VB script on the web in the end (it ended up being a rush job.. as usual!) that pointed me to when a user last logged in, the machine they were on became irrelevant.

Damn year 11s (supposedly on study leave) coming in and logging on as staff... and the staff member had the cheek to tell me that he must've "hacked into the system"!!!

He's being hauled over the coals.. and on the last day of term, silly boy...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries

lol, we've just had 2 students using a staff account, accessed our VLE and pulled of the temporary lunch pass template that we use to allow kids out.

It got sent around Year 10 and when we tracked it back we found it was in a dept office and the user had saved their password on the VLE client (he had updated the client settings file with one we give to staff students at home which does allow them the save function)

The kids are out for a day and the member of staff has been talked to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Got it added finally bloody browser!

You'll need to change the admin password and where to store the files but its well commented. It will need compiling using VB6 though. If you need any help with it let me know!

Wes
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

CurrentDate = Now
    dim WShell

WShell.Run cmdstr
    My script does what the post asks! Its free and doesn't need anything like mySQL to work. you just run the script and it will tell you who is logged on and where. schedule it to run and you have a (searchable) history.

-Kev
    I'm listening Kev!

It pulls the IP address under the computer name, and the computer name under user name!!!

Also - i'm getting different results every time I run it - within seconds

Thank Post

What the script does is tell you how many 'sessions' are connected the server, and the details of those sessions. If someone has their home directory/folder connected to the server, they will maintain a session on the server. if they have many files open, it sometimes lists as multiple sessions, the computer also has a session open just before it logs the user on, so you see them to. the point is, you can see who was logged on and when, there may be some extranious stuff to, but you just ignore that. I made my scripts more elegant by running them through another program i wrote in pascal to get rid of duplicates and beautify it some what.

-Kev

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It doesn't seem to report the sessions tho' - just a few at a time. I'll experiment next week [well, Monday] and send you some info - if you don't mind of course!

Thank Post

We use a small script which runs as part of the login script which sends the username and computer name to a sql database (which logs the server time of the INSERT as well). Our database is SQL Server, but you could use anything.

The data has been collected for about 8 months now and it's not caused any problems - it's fast, reliable and puts no strain on the server. We have a set of ASP pages (again, you could use PHP or whatever) which let us do a range of queries on user/room/PC/time and some more advanced stuff for detecting concurrent logins. I've also used it to analyse which times of day most logins occur, where, by whom etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    We use a small script which runs as part of the login script which sends the username and computer name to a sql database (which logs the server time of the INSERT as well). Our database is SQL Server, but you could use anything.

The data has been collected for about 8 months now and it's not caused any problems - it's fast, reliable and puts no strain on the server. We have a set of ASP pages (again, you could use PHP or whatever) which let us do a range of queries on user/room/PC/time and some more advanced stuff for detecting concurrent logins. I've also used it to analyse which times of day most logins occur, where, by whom etc.
    Is there anychance you could share your script and/or asp pages please?
    I'm looking for something to do a similar job and don't have the time (or the knowledge of ASP) to write my own at the moment

Thank Post
    Heh.

Any news in this thread? It's surprising how few "canned" solutions -- scripted, inexpensive -- exist.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast