+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Pros and Cons of moving from a .county.sch.uk website and email address? in Technical; We have had a request to the head that we change our email address from .county.sch.uk as it's too difficult ...
    Thank Post

Pros and Cons of moving from a .county.sch.uk website and email address?

We have had a request to the head that we change our email address from .county.sch.uk as it's too difficult to tell people over the phone.

I am guessing they think it's just a 5 minute job to change it over :P

Has anyone done this move?
    Why?
    What needs to be considered?

We run our own Mdaemon email server internally and mail routes to us via the SWGfL.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ours was scrapped years ago. Our new domain is much easier. Its shorter for one, and easy to tell people address over the phone. Also people are used to a .com address and get muched up with .sch.uk

From my Mdaemon days it should be really easy to change. Not sure about the SWGfL.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ours also went years ago.

We simply registered a .co.uk name and moved to it. Was very little hassle. Google had indexed our new website within few hours to the top of the ranking.

We allowed staff to use their old webmail address for 6 months during the changeover but insisted they put and out of office reply on it.

We turned it off at the end of the 6 months and now those long complicated email addresses are a distant memory

We moved to Office 365 in the process so it was a simple switchover as I could set it all up independently while the old (local exchange) system was still running.

Thank Post
    It may look more professional coming from a .sch.uk email address?

Thank Post
    Can't really see why it's not a 5 minute job...

But in all seriousness - it's just a case of registering the domain name - setup your DNS records and then update your firewall/mailserver - so not really a very long job.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    It may look more professional coming from a .sch.uk email address?
    I think for those who know what sch.uk means, yes it is a little more professional. @GrumbleDook wrote a blog on why schools shouldn't give up their sch.uk addresses which gave some positives for sticking - EduGeek.net - The Importance of Domains

The biggest advantage I can think of is that only schools can register a sch.uk domain. Therefore nobody can sit on a typo domain and grab your traffic (schoolA.com - schoolAA.com), and if you forget to renew your domain a drop catcher can't pick it up and hold it to ransom. It also gives geographical info on the school, which may help identify the correct school when dealing with common names.

Sadly the advantages are rather outweighed when you have to tell someone over the phone what your email address is.

7. 3 Thanks to IrritableTech:

GrumbleDook (5th September 2013), kennysarmy (4th September 2013), zag (5th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    Sadly the advantages are rather outweighed when you have to tell someone over the phone what your email address is.
    Agreed. The fact they are so long is a pain. Just this reason for a shorter domain name trumps using .sch.uk in my opinion.

Thank Post
    probably 10-11 years since we ditched ours.

On a few ocasions various management have asked for a long winded domain name, we simply ask them to spell it to us over the phone and an alternative is found

Rob

Thank Post
    You could just use both? Have a short one, and a long one, and give people the preference?

With proper setup you can have everything ending up at the same place.

Thank Post
    We've stuck with our .sch.uk one, even though we have had the SWGfL redirect it from our local MDaemon server to point it to our new office 365 one.
    It's not too hard to get it changed, but there is a few hoops to jump through for the grid to enable it as you might need to pay for another SMTP feed.

Setting MD up to support both isn't too hard at least

Thank Post
    Personally, all schools should be forced to use the .sch.uk, it's only a one time setup cost and like people have said it's only for schools. All publications should display the full .sch.uk address, such as signs, business cards and so on. I don't see how it's hard to remember, school name dot county dot sch dot uk. You also don't get into the whole repeat of school names, st marys for example. I know of a few cases where it doesn't always work as nicely as it should, like when you get 3 st marys in one county, but it doesn't stop you have a second domain and have that as an alias. So you could say email me at it@sch.co.uk but when you reply it comes from the matt.smith@school.suffolk.sch.uk. The key is to promo the .sch.uk as it's written in stone and use the other ".com" as a quick and dirty to tell people.

The other annoying part of this is when they do it cause the other school has done it so they don't have an actual reason other then it looks cool, so my tax money is being wasted on looking cool rather then educating - also it's teaching bad practices:

.com = international company
    .org = international not-for-profit
    .uk = uk based
    .me.uk = person in uk
    .sch.uk = school in uk

Just saying, school should teach the standards

13. 2 Thanks to matt40k:

buzzard (6th September 2013), GrumbleDook (5th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Well Matt40K, we do have a .co.uk address dating back to the old freenetname dialup days, but I only use it as a alternative on our mail server since the blackberry device our new head had couldn't cope with the full .sch.uk domain name in the e-mail field.

I do know where you are coming from though.... was a little miffed when one of the staff outsourced our school website to a 3rd party without our knowledge and got an org.uk account... it's like WTF.... can't even use it for an e-mail alias since it's not owned by us so it's completely out of sync with everything else we publish on the web.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Personally, all schools should be forced to use the .sch.uk, it's only a one time setup cost and like people have said it's only for schools.
    I don't see any good reason to force schools to use it. We don't even have a .sch.uk domain as we are an Academy.

we use @abcd.org.uk

We have 4 main email domains, 1 for each of our 2 schools, one for the overarching federal staff who are not affiliated to a specific school and one to our 6th form.

1 peg does not fit all holes and schools need not be dictated to on this.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
    only use it as a alternative on our mail server since the blackberry device our new head had couldn't cope with the full .sch.uk domain name in the e-mail field.
    Is this still correct? Surely it should support it!! If not, time for a upgrade to a proper smartphone!

Quote Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
    the staff outsourced our school website to a 3rd party without our knowledge and got an org.uk account... it's like WTF....
    You own the domain, you can move the DNS to a proper provider like Mythic Beasts - UK-based shell hosting, co-location and Virtual Dedicated Servers who let you do what you want with your domain. You sign a three-way agreement with .uk domains - between you, the end user, nominet and whoever you throw the money at, so your pretty covered as far as them locking you in. The only issue will be with the the source code of the website, I guess they limit it to run on their own servers as they don't want you to find out it's a cheap theme they bought, or something they reuse over and over again, or even if the CMS (like wordpress) is out-of-date or whatever. Hopefully they're not crooked and they just spoke with someone who didn't know what to ask so they just went with the default. Regardless, you can normally take over the DNS\nameservers and just point the web site at their servers without too much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    We don't even have a .sch.uk domain as we are an Academy.
    Your not a school, your an academy, your more of a business then a school. You have to fight for pupils. Academy have basically gone you're holding me back with your rules man, let me breath so I may fly. It's a good and bad thing, bad is bl00dy risky, good you lose some of the politics, it's like someone offering you a shed load of Surface RT, as a (LA) school you have to look at it from a number of points of view, is it ethical, are they just trying to get you to sell the football pitch so they can build a new office for example, would it right to go all Microsoft, would you have to buy a load of Apple or Google devices so your not Microsoft centric. Could you support it going forward. With an Academy, your head can go, thank you very much and that's pretty much the end of it, very much a dictatorship in some regards lol

I am very pro LA, mainly because I can see how it can and does work, how a good template with a little bit of flex can work, I've also experience how too much flex can go horribly wrong, like a 10gb backbone when your max traffic is 200MB on your backbone at peek times, and how you end up with 100+ laptops in a small village primary. I'm not say individual schools don't have great ideas, it just they need to be channelled correctly so you get the best effect, so you don't get a really good network in one school but a really good VLE in another, I'd rather have all of them with a really good everything. The other main key is knowing when to stop, you tend to find school do something stupid once they get the perfect network, they go out and get some gadget that never really works but costs a bomb and creates more problems and they never really needed it in the first place. It's also better for the staff, I know alot of technicians would rather setup servers then reset passwords and like wise I know a lot of technicians that brick it when they need to replace servers.

Just say, come to the dark side, we have more fun

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    My governor school is an academy and has retained its .sch.uk domain

The converting academies that have joined our trust both have .sch.uk domains for their new websites and emails too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast