+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Is there a way to ensure Staff read policy documents? in Technical; Apologies in advance - I have a feeling I have asked something similar to this in the past One of ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Is there a way to ensure Staff read policy documents?

Apologies in advance - I have a feeling I have asked something similar to this in the past

One of our Governors has asked if there is any way that technology can be used to ensure that staff members have read policy documents.

He is fed up with staff signing as having read documents but in practice not implementing policies.

I can't think of a way of assisting him in his mission. If it's a serious breach of policy to me the answer is to pop any members in breach on a disciplinary!

However, if there is a fairly simple way of holding Policy Documents on a file server and tracking staff viewing then best I get it implemented

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,619 Posts
    This is not a Governor's problem. It is an operational problem that belongs to the SLT of the school. If the staff are not following policy, the GB should be hauling the HT over the coals for not managing the staff properly.

As a governor, about to become Chair in September, that is one that I would firmly leave with the HT.

As a member of staff in your position... I would also leave this with the head. It is not your problem.

EDIT
    There is nothing that can ensure a person had read something ... apart from an exam. Proving that they have opened a document or spent x amount of time with the document open proves as much as a signature on a bit of paper.

If staff don't sticky to policy it is a disciplinary issue as I said before.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 23rd August 2013 at 10:07 PM.

3. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

speckytecky (23rd August 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Easiest Way I can think of, Have the document in a system of your choosing (Eg: Your Intranet CMS) then just have a checkbox at the bottom of the policy where they need to tick and it records the username and date in a db.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    Easiest Way I can think of, Have the document in a system of your choosing (Eg: Your Intranet CMS) then just have a checkbox at the bottom of the policy where they need to tick and it records the username and date in a db.
    And that STILL doesn't prove that they have read it. Speckytecky's Governor is concerned that people are signing that they have read something and then ignoring the policy. Ticking a box electronically doesn't guarantee they have read it either.

6. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

speckytecky (31st August 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    And that STILL doesn't prove that they have read it. Speckytecky's Governor is concerned that people are signing that they have read something and then ignoring the policy. Ticking a box electronically doesn't guarantee they have read it either.
    There is no way you are going to manage that, unless you quiz them or something, If they say they read a document then don't act on it/follow though, its a HR issue and no technology is going to help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The usual idea is that people make a reasonable assumption that if someone says they've read it, they've read it. Without going as far as quizzing them, the only choice is signature (usual or digital) to say they've read it. With that in place, anything they've done that is in breach of policy is more easily actionable. Perhaps that just needs reinforcing from the SLT.

9. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Thank Post
    There is no simply way to prove that someone has read a document. Even if you sit them down in-front of a screen and record it as evidence, they may not actually be reading it.

Companies that properly implement quality standards like ISO9000 issue procedures manuals to all staff which staff sign for. Any changes to procedures are issued as inserts and again, staff sign for receipt of them. Job descriptions make it clear that it is the responsibility of staff to read and implement the procedures laid out in the manuals and failing to do so can lead to disciplinary action. Companies that like to pay more than lip service to their quality standard certifications tend to back up more complex procedure and policy changes with training.

11. Thanks to pcstru from:

Thank Post
    I think it was game exchange who once put in their terms and conditions that if you agree to the t&cs and email them then you will get £5.
    If you dont email then they will own your soul.

Only 16 or so people emailed.

If they sign/tick then you can assume that they have read the doc and here we can then take action when they do something against the policy.

When they say, i havnt read it, we just reply saying you've signed to say you have and here it is.

Thank Post
    Print out a paper copy and spend the first ten minutes of the staff meeting reading it in silence.

(all other methods are doomed to failure)

Thank Post
    My $0.02:

Even if you can prove someone has looked at something (I refrain from using the word read) you can't prove they have understood it and will follow it. You can't rub technology on a human factors problem other than making them tick a box/sign something. We have found that during new staff induction saying in plain english "here, read this" spending the next 5 minutes reading it and then adding "If you don't read, understand and follow this then there will be you-losing-your-job-type-hell-to-pay. No arguments"

Thank Post
    For IT policies I always give them a copy to read and make them read it before signing.

Its an awkward moment but at least I know they have read it before signing,

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Print out a paper copy and spend the first ten minutes of the staff meeting reading it in silence.

(all other methods are doomed to failure)
    ^This.

Or do it as INSET.

Go through the policies, clear up any confusion and mark everyone who attended it as having read it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread