Poll: Who does your network cabling?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Who does your network cabling?? in Technical; Originally Posted by e_g_r Another question for DIYers. what precautions do you take ref asbestos? Air tests to backup your ...
    Thank Post

Re: Who does your network cabling??

Quote Originally Posted by e_g_r
    Another question for DIYers. what precautions do you take ref asbestos? Air tests to backup your school survey? Masks and white suits. What about MDF and fibre insulation?
    We had an external company come round recently and do a full asbestos survey. We use this when planning any work in-house and any contractors we have on site can see this if they ask, although typically they just accept our word for it that its clear (if they are working anywhere near it, we specifically tell them about it and walk them round exactly where it is).

Thank Post

I agree that just becasue someone is certified it dosn't mean that they are any better. Last IT training i had was for Novell 4

Contrators are only bad because in the past we have let them.

I'm sure your installs are A1 and i would not dis them. My question was how sure are we that what we do is A1 and correct.

I only speak through bitter experience at my current school. Something that is now being changed at no small cost (100K to be precise)

Thank Post

I agree with what you are saying to a point.
    Certification does not guarantee good workmanship or professional standards of work being maintained. What it does give you is protection against litigation. A company working to the standards is bound by contract and required by law to comply with these standards and opens themselves up to prosecution if they don't.

I'm not questioning your abilities or your workmanship. However, without training in the relevant areas how can you ever know that any of your work is compliant or indeed safe.

I have personally seen devices wired incorrectly that have worked for years though they were in fact lethal.

Thank Post

I'm sure your installs are A1 and i would not dis them. My question was how sure are we that what we do is A1 and correct.
    I like to think so , in my case, I guess its down to a combination of thorough research, plenty of care, practice and experience. I would think that a good guideline though would be , if in any doubt, dont attempt it. Again, as with many things in life...like skiing...or putting up that shed in the garden which you bought last summer but just never quite got round to

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by knthrak
    I'm not questioning your abilities or your workmanship. However, without training in the relevant areas how can you ever know that any of your work is compliant or indeed safe.
    I can see where you are coming from..the worrying thing for me , on a personal level, is that as I say, I dont have that training in anything I do at all...either hardware related, software related, server related, or cabling related. Along those lines of worry, I shouldnt even really be doing the job I have done for the last 15 years. (EDIT : not just done, but done extremely well, at least thats what I am told...hell, does one good to stroke ones own ego from time to time)

I always knew I should have been a tester of bananas to make sure they were straight enough to meet EU regulations !! (certainly would have been alot less stressful...although those green ones can be a bit aggressive at times !)

Thank Post

Bananas Should be streight

Yeah Skiing - looks easy, read up about it but nearly got myself killed

Thank Post

Yeah Skiing - looks easy, read up about it but nearly got myself killed
    Damn good fun though ! Only thing that has come close for me is scuba diving. Not as much fun, but much more fascinating

(.....though I am not certified to do either ...... . )

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    Another question for DIYers. what precautions do you take ref asbestos? Air tests to backup your school survey? Masks and white suits. What about MDF and fibre insulation?
    We had an external company come round recently and do a full asbestos survey. We use this when planning any work in-house and any contractors we have on site can see this if they ask, although typically they just accept our word for it that its clear (if they are working anywhere near it, we specifically tell them about it and walk them round exactly where it is).
    we have a survey but a professional firm will carry out air tests in the area where they work just in case the survey missed something or structural movements have dislogged some asbestos.

at my last school we had ceiling tiles that were sealed but if disturbed could shed dust.

Thank Post

Jake!

Certified at not being certified

Thank Post

Lol....been thinking lately that I might try and take my certification in Letching and Leering at Women.

Now...if I could just find someone to revise my Practical exam on....*goes off to see if WITCH is in the building*

Thank Post

Acquired real life knowledge from the field always carries more weight than a spoon fed classroom education in my opinion but that does not mean that acquired knowledge is bang on the nose every time.

Often people develop there own way of doing things based on what they have seen and done and never know why it is done that particular way therefore they never realise just how that method could be totally wrong when other factors are introduced. I have seen it many times, people believe they are right when everything they think they know as fact is actually only half right.

A little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Lol....been thinking lately that I might try and take my certification in Letching and Leering at Women.
    Jakes at it again!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    we have a survey but a professional firm will carry out air tests in the area where they work just in case the survey missed something or structural movements have dislogged some asbestos.

at my last school we had ceiling tiles that were sealed but if disturbed could shed dust.
    Well, if the contractor wishes to do their own survey, they are of course more than welcome to do that - that's their call, at the end of the day.

In your ceiling tile example, we would specifically advise any workers in that area that the tiles were made of asbestos, but were fine if left undisturbed. That just strikes me as the responsible thing to do, morally if not legally.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Disease
    ...I have the same things to do that you have to do...
    Not being funny, mate, but how on earth do you know that?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Jakes at it again!
    Oh, I've done that course - I passed it with flying colours 8O

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast