Poll: Who does your network cabling?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Who does your network cabling?? in Technical; Originally Posted by e_g_r Getting a good contactor is a must and like anything if you base is on price ...

Thank Post

Re: Who does your network cabling??

Quote Originally Posted by e_g_r
    Getting a good contactor is a must and like anything if you base is on price then you may fall foul.
    Doesn't everything revolve around price in the education sector? It certainly does at this school!

Thank Post

Disease

A little bit of knowledge is dangerous and unless you have obtained all the relevant British standards concerning building regulations and become fully conversant with all existing requirements and the numerous amendments you are not competent to conduct any installation work within your building. You need to show total compliance with BS7671, the IEE 16th Edition Wiring Regulations to undertake any electrical installation.

There is a big difference between being able to do something and being competent and legally authorized to do it. Just because you can get a cable from A – B and connect it correctly at each end does not make it correct. Even if you are getting good test results from it does not mean that it is safe or correctly installed.

Your argument “What sort of Guarantee do you give the school that Active Directory will work fine” is a fair point but not compelling as Active directory doesn’t have the capacity to kill the end users when it goes wrong.

Thank Post

How exactly does Cat5E kill people? What are they going to do, eat it and choke on it?

Thank Post

How many times has price come and bitten you on the Arse?

We once purchased a mobile laptop solution and were pressured into cutting costs. Result - the worst charging trolley you could imagine.

Thank Post

On the other hand of course, I prefer moodle over the more expensive VLE solution our LEA has picked. Like all things in life, cutting costs works both ways in pros and cons

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Disease
    How exactly does Cat5E kill people? What are they going to do, eat it and choke on it?
    If its not low smoke zero halogen and you have a fire - death by gas

Thank Post

Incorrect segregation of cable across multiple phased zones can create a difference of potential between devices which means 415V is potentially present under a fault condition.

Additionally all network cables should now be Low smoke, zero halogen to prevent death from fumes in fire situations.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just a question were do we draw the line when the building regs come to force? If you make a simple patch cable that wouldn’t need it would it, but if you had a socket and then a RJ45 plug on the other end that wouldn't. What if you tack the cable to the skirting board if the socket is a few meters away from the computer. Is it when you screw the box to the wall, if that’s the case is everything you screw on the wall eg a hook for a clock got to meet building regulations? I am not being sarcastic or anything but it seems to be a gray area.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester
    Just a question were do we draw the line when the building regs come to force? ... Is it when you screw the box to the wall, if that’s the case is everything you screw on the wall eg a hook for a clock got to meet building regulations? I am not being sarcastic or anything but it seems to be a gray area.
    Unless you have a very broad job description, that's the caretaker's/site supervisor's grey area not yours, so personally I wouldn't worry too much about it :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well i know but im just abit curious

Thank Post

Building regs are more concerned with installation and modification of the building. ie, lighting, ventilation, power and ancillary supplies.
    Electrical regs are a specific area concerned with the electrical aspects of a build. patch cables and picture hooks are not part of this scope.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

righty ho

Thank Post

LSZH is a good idea, however what about all the existing PVC cables both data and mains that are not. It is also a lovely purple colour!

Thank Post

I'm sure that insurers will begin to look at this and insist that they are removed or delt with, a bit like asbestos.

Another question for DIYers. what precautions do you take ref asbestos? Air tests to backup your school survey? Masks and white suits. What about MDF and fibre insulation?

Thank Post

I think the major problem with this thread , as a whole, is that its become embroiled in too many "blacks and whites".

Personally I have been laying datacables in some form or another for nearly 15 years now, across multiple schools (and yes knthrak I am fully aware of the low smoke and multiple phase zones), and frankly I would quite readily put the quality of one of my installations up against the quality of a "professional" installation.

I guess what I am saying is that, like many things, its not always quite so black and white. In theory, a certified installer *should* be of a better standard than a non-certified installer. However, that simply isnt always the case. Sometimes a non-certified person can do a better job than some certified folks, and likewise some non-certified folks simply dont do as good a job as some certified folks.

In a way its akin to MS certifications..over the years I have met some people who have MS certifications out of their ears, yet have been simply terrible at their job and not known their way around a network, on the other hand I have known some people who have an extensive knowledge and ability, yet dont hold a certificate in diddly.

Thats just my opinion on it anyway, I just dont see things in black and white. I have no certifications in anything...nothing at all. Nothing to do with servers, yet I maintain wodgefuls of them, nothing to do with cabling, yet I have done it for nigh on 15 years, and in my opinion, to an exceptional standard (far better for instance than one of the , quite well known, contractors around here who installed an entire suite of a local school yet only bothered to connect 2 of the pairs in each network point, which only further highlights my point about certifications and qualifications), I have no certifications in power tools, or ladder climbing, or putting up shelves, or hanging a corkboard, or using AD, or installing a moodle server, or setting up an exchange server, or swapping out a faulty network card, or hard drive, or memory, or installing an operating system..yet I am equally assured of the quality and standard of what I do every working day of the year. Whats more, I would stand what I do up against anyone with a certificate in any of those things.

Sometimes having a piece of paper to wave , isnt a sign of quality, as Neville Chamberlain found out to his regret

(then again, sometimes it is....thats the anti-black and white effect )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast