Poll: Who does your network cabling?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Who does your network cabling?? in Technical; Originally Posted by dave.81 But as i've said i'm network manager not cabling installer, whiteboard installer or electrical installer that ...
    Thank Post

Re: Who does your network cabling??

Quote Originally Posted by dave.81
    But as i've said i'm network manager not cabling installer, whiteboard installer or electrical installer that is what contractors are for.
    I am a Network Manager as well, but I suppose it depends on what sort of Network Manager you are, I am a hands on best Value for money for my school type of network manager.

Thank Post

How would you test someones competency in cableing?

Computerised? what make and model. Do you keep it calibrated and firmwared up?

do you check what they are doing?

The guarantee is for the whole install and is quite oftem the kind of thing that MOD and government require.

Nieve? Get your work checked out by someone independent.

Personaly i have to much other stuff to do without doing donkey work.

My main point is if you do the pre install stuff right then the contactor will have to do the job right.

What accreditation do you hold in data cabling

Thank Post

Best value for money!

Thats what they did here. Buy cheap get cheap.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Disease
    As Jake said we do everything here, as for a 20 year guarantee whats the point, we will not be using the same cable in 20 years anyway, we probably won't be using the same in 10 years.
    Bet you we will... Cat5e is here to stay for a very long time

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by e_g_r

The guarantee is for the whole install and is quite oftem the kind of thing that MOD and government require.

My main point is if you do the pre install stuff right then the contactor will have to do the job right.

You will always continue to try and find some small excuse as to why you should not do it, so therefore the arguement we are having is pointless, you don't want to do it and thats fine. I have the same things to do that you have to do and I still managed to do al my own installs with my team.

Thank Post

See I'm lucky, cause everything is a short run from my cage

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Disease

You will always continue to try and find some small excuse as to why you should not do it, so therefore the arguement we are having is pointless, you don't want to do it and thats fine. I have the same things to do that you have to do and I still managed to do al my own installs with my team.
    You just don't seem to be able to answer some of my questions.

Carry on and do what you think is best. I hope you are doing it right. What i don't like is saving a penny but having to spend a pound latter.

Thank Post

Do you know the difference in running Cat5e and Cat6?
    I do know the standards for CAT5e, but not CAT6, hence I wouldn't install Cat6 cable

If you don't fluke test how do you know if your cable is running as it should?
    Well I don't know for sure, but I followed the same cable trays and trunking that was already installed and already has data cable running though it. The ends were terminated to a better standard that most in this building, and it works so I'm happy with that. I will keep an eye on the switch controlling the new cabling to see if it reports any errors on the new ports, this should give me a good idea if there are any problems.

If your infrastructure isn't right then you can have all the servers and stuff you want but your end user may not be getting the full benefit.
    I agree entirely with you on this point. Whos to say my cabling isn't up-to-scratch thou? Like I say, we have a lot of sub-standard cabling in this building that is a lot worse than the installation I've just done. All this cabling works perfectly fine, so there's no reason to say my new cabling won't.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am the sort of person who will not get other people in if I can do the job myself & if i had time to do the job. I would prefer to do things like this myself because you do it exactly how you want it. I have read bad stories of cable contactors on this forum who charge a fortune for a cock-up. So that waste's money and time. Why not get it right the first time and do it yourself if it is possible, Its not exactly hardwork plus you will save the tax payer a little money and also the money you save could help the children get a better quality education if the money saved is spent in the right areas.

Thank Post

Maniac just get yourself a decent cable tester they cost around £1500 but are worth it if you install your own cable, it runs all the certification tests and allows you to print warranties. Well worth it, then there is no arguement as to whether your cable is certified. Thats all outside companies do.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here are some examples of bodged jobs http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...wtopic&t=11362 take a look at gatt

Thank Post

Bear in mind that its not about faults found by the switch but about through put to the desktop.

I'm not knocking DIY but rather want people to realise that if you are in control of the install and have pre install agreements and penalty clauses then a professional should be better.

As someone else pointed out some of this cable has been in 15+ years so we have to live with these installs for a long time so right first time must be the mantra.

Getting a good contactor is a must and like anything if you base is on price then you may fall foul.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester
    I am the sort of person who will not get other people in if I can do the job myself & if i had time to do the job. I would prefer to do things like this myself because you do it exactly how you want it. I have read bad stories of cable contactors on this forum who charge a fortune for a cock-up. So that waste's money and time. Why not get it right the first time and do it yourself if it is possible, Its not exactly hardwork plus you will save the tax payer a little money and also the money you save could help the children get a better quality education if the money saved is spent in the right areas.
    Well said.

I am not trying to have a go at anyone or say they should do it this way or that, what I have is the "I am not trained to do that" culture and the H&S culture that is killing this country. What ever happened to the "I got off my arse and learned to do it myself" culture. Thats what we need more of.

Thank Post

Decent tester £1500 what about the higher end ones? Or are they a waste of money. Why not spend a bit less than £1500 must give the same results?

FN-GM - i'm not denying you get bodge jobs. Thts because people arn't in control. Thats why i'm talking pre install agreements, penalty clauses and independent checking. If a contrator said no to this kind of thing them run a mile.

Thank Post

Bear in mind that its not about faults found by the switch but about through put to the desktop.

I'm not knocking DIY but rather want people to realise that if you are in control of the install and have pre install agreements and penalty clauses then a professional should be better.

As someone else pointed out some of this cable has been in 15+ years so we have to live with these installs for a long time so right first time must be the mantra.

Getting a good contactor is a must and like anything if you base is on price then you may fall foul.
    I do agreewith you on that matter that you mdo need to get decent clauses in any contracts.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast