+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Help -This is doing my pie in! in Technical; working on 70-290 and im a little stuck on a question Q. What method would be most useful to generate ...
    PEO
    Thank Post

Help -This is doing my pie in!

working on 70-290 and im a little stuck on a question

Q. What method would be most useful to generate 100 new user objects, each of which have identical profile path, home folder path, Title, Web Page, Company, Department, and Manager settings?

A. Dsadd will be the most useful method. You can enter one command line that includes all the parameters. By leaving the UserDN parameter empty, you can enter the users' distinguished names one at a time in the command console. A user object template does not allow you to configure options such as Title, Telephone Number, and Web Page. Generating a comma-delimited text file would be time-consuming in comparison, particularly when so many parameters are identical.

I dont get it, I've tried for a good hour now to figure it out on my own, but I'm going around in circles.

can any one help explain to me what the answer means, or type out the dsadd code that i would need to type to do what the question is asking of me.

cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Help -This is doing my pie in!

Sounds crap to me - CSVDE is a better method innit? :P

That is if you can't find a free tool to do it even better...

YES M$ - we lookin at YOU!

PEO
    Thank Post

It's stupid!

CSVIDE is not used in server 2003, CSVDE is.

either way booth are bloody awfull.

if it was me i would not have used the command line for the question. I would just create a user template and copy it using active directory users and computers blah blah blah, entering the names in one at a time. Or learn vbs...

this sucks... does any one else think the question is stupid!?

Thank Post

i found dsadd to be really usefull, its great when you have lots of acccounts with slight variations, for instance the ou they go into or where the profile should go. CBTnuggets doa really good spreadsheet which uses drop down boxes to select variables en masse.

PEO
    Thank Post

I was been a little silly there. DSADD and his mates are usefull. Just dont get what microsoft are trying to say regarding there answer. its not explained properly enough and their should be at least an example to go with the answer. which is all i would need to figure the rest out.

Very frustrating

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Got there before ya MrH :P

So MS think it's better to enter 100 user names from the command prompt rather than import from .csv??

Why not do like you would with CSVDE, put the command into a spreadsheet and copy all your user names across, save as batch file and job's done in a fraction of the time.

So I disagree - generating a csv file would be far more efficient

PEO
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark

So MS think it's better to enter 100 user names from the command prompt rather than import from .csv??

Why not do like you would with CSVDE, put the command into a spreadsheet and copy all your user names across, save as batch file and job's done in a fraction of the time.

I sort of understand you mark, that sort of makes sence. could you send me a small example please?

are you saying create a batch file and a .csv file of names. have the batch file call up the names from the csv file to create the user accounts?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

No , but yes exactly

Thank Post

ms are stupid, but it makes sense the way cbt nuggets train on dsadd, which is as you said for csvde , and then ds mod to twiddle with the shares too .

example can be had at http://www.nuggetlab.com/ , under the 290 resources. If you need a worked example let me know your email and i'll fire it accross.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries

Try out Dameware (www.dameware.com) although its not free.
    It has a exporter for AD as well as bulk user management options (including create multiple accounts). Its also got a TON of other things such as remote control etc. We have been paying maintenance for years now and it just gets better.

PEO
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry

ms are stupid, but it makes sense the way cbt nuggets train on dsadd, which is as you said for csvde , and then ds mod to twiddle with the shares too .

example can be had at http://www.nuggetlab.com/ , under the 290 resources. If you need a worked example let me know your email and i'll fire it accross.

muhahahaha sent you my email

PEO
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour
    Try out Dameware (www.dameware.com) although its not free.
    It has a exporter for AD as well as bulk user management options (including create multiple accounts). Its also got a TON of other things such as remote control etc. We have been paying maintenance for years now and it just gets better.
    cheers, I have written down the suggestd apps from your self and other users, and will be looking at them in the next day or so. Unfortunately the 70-290 Exam desent allow you to use third party appas and have to use M$ own tools. YIKES!

much appreiated

Thank Post
    hey , i need the nuggetlab.com 70-290 excel file with dsadd to create multiple users can someone send me me please?

thanks alot

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information