+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, I.D. Cards in Technical; So we currently use an external company to print our ID badges. I think it would be beneficial to get ...

Thank Post

I.D. Cards

So we currently use an external company to print our ID badges. I think it would be beneficial to get a card printing machine in school. What use are ID cards if new staff have to wait a week or two to get a card?

Does anyone else do this and has it been cost effective/practical?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    If you are printing larger numbers i.e thousands the in house equipment is expensive and I'd send those initial large runs to a bureau to do them.

For ad-hoc replacements and smaller runs we have a Javelin J230i with a built in hopper.

Ben

Thank Post
    We use the badgy printer. Nice little device. Badgy Card Printer - Design & Print id badges on plastic pvc cards

Thank Post
    We have a card printer but no software just for cards. We do have about 4 SIMS reports to print student and staff cards direct from SIMS.net. One report dose tutor group batches, another for individual student cards etc...Use cards for MFD print release, cashless catering and library cards.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MicrodigitUK View Post
    We have a card printer but no software just for cards. We do have about 4 SIMS reports to print student and staff cards direct from SIMS.net. One report dose tutor group batches, another for individual student cards etc...Use cards for MFD print release, cashless catering and library cards.
    @MicrodigitUK is be interested in how you do this would you be able to let me know as this would be a massive time saver!?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Novalee View Post
    So we currently use an external company to print our ID badges. I think it would be beneficial to get a card printing machine in school. What use are ID cards if new staff have to wait a week or two to get a card?

Does anyone else do this and has it been cost effective/practical?

Thanks.
    We have a magicard enduro + (Magicard Enduro + Printer - Printers - Securit World) which works really well. We can normally print the whole of year 7 (around 250 cards) within 2 days at the start of term. It takes minutes to print a replacement when one has been ordered and a couple more minutes to program them for printing \ access control \ cashless catering.

The previous person to do my job looked into various ID card printing software and couldn't find anything which was decent, so has a publisher file which is a mailmerge off of an excel document and pulls the photos based on adno from a share. The photos are updated whenever we run the saloman sims photo export utility. All in all it is a very good system and works really well for us.

Thank Post
    We use a zebra p100i

Thank Post
    We too use a card printer and it's all handled by registry, who produce cards for staff and students. Our cards have both magnetic stripe (for the older ASSA locks) and chip (for the newer Paxton locks). When they print a card, it is programmed accordingly, using some do-dad. They are very busy at the mo, madly printing cards for the September intake and they only have one printer. My last school too used a card printer, but we only had cards for staff. I think both printers were Zebra.

Thank Post
    I'll second the Zebra kit, pretty easy to use with designer pro software

Thank Post
    We use smart cards, then simply use a label (which we feed into a normal printer) and then just stick it on the card! Cheap and effective, no fancy card printer needed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyc View Post
    We have a magicard enduro + (Magicard Enduro + Printer - Printers - Securit World) which works really well. We can normally print the whole of year 7 (around 250 cards) within 2 days at the start of term. It takes minutes to print a replacement when one has been ordered and a couple more minutes to program them for printing \ access control \ cashless catering.

The previous person to do my job looked into various ID card printing software and couldn't find anything which was decent, so has a publisher file which is a mailmerge off of an excel document and pulls the photos based on adno from a share. The photos are updated whenever we run the saloman sims photo export utility. All in all it is a very good system and works really well for us.
    This sounds really brilliant - would love to be able to link everything like that.

We currently only have ID cards for staff but if we could reasonably print them in school for a decent price etc. then I imagine we could be looking in the future at student ID cards as well.

How do you all enforce them as a school? Do the students have to wear them or just be able to produce one when asked?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rhedges View Post
    We use smart cards, then simply use a label (which we feed into a normal printer) and then just stick it on the card! Cheap and effective, no fancy card printer needed.
    Labels wear off though quite easily?

Ben

Thank Post
    Zebra P300 and Easytrace to print on MiFare cards for lockers, doors, mfd, catering.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Labels wear off though quite easily?

Ben
    Never had a problem with that, at all

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread