+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Air Conditioning Recommendations for Server Room in Technical; I have a server room with two wall mounted A/C units. One is on all the time and one is ...

Thank Post

Air Conditioning Recommendations for Server Room

I have a server room with two wall mounted A/C units. One is on all the time and one is a backup. During the day, the servers seem extremely slow, until I placed two fans directly in front of the two 42U racks. My philosphy is that the air coming from the A/C unit appeared to be getting lost in the room, until the fans was directing the air through the servers from front to back.

I have been told that I am allowed to purchase an additional wall mounted A/C unit and Now my question is, where is the best place to install it? Should one be placed at front of rack and one at the back???

Thank Post
    Well generally servers pull air in from the front and blow it out the back so having an air conditioning unit at the front will cool your servers better than at the back, however, you should get one powerful enough to maintain a suitable temperature for the whole room. If you are struggling with cooling in that room, check that any heating or hot water pipes are properly insulated as this can make a huge difference.

Thank Post
    Below is current setupScan.jpg

Thank Post
    the distance between A/C unit and front of rack is quite large and the two portable fans are making a difference to direct the air into the racks. The air coming out of the back of the servers is not as HOT as it was before

Thank Post
    Seems to me that the problem could be your racks are backed up against the wall. This will cause poor circulation of hot air from the servers. I know its not easy (maybe impossible) but if you can move your racks to the middle of the room for better air circulation. Other than that the position of the ac seems optimal.

Thank Post
    Also, obviously, the room needs to be enclosed, make sure no doors or windows are left open.

Thank Post
    I have a couple of proposals / ideas:

1) My initial idea was to move the Backup A/C unit further down the wall towards the rack and switch the forward facing one OFF. I thought that this would then allow a sideways blast of cold air that could be sucked in through the front and install new A/C at back of rack???
    2) alternitevly, move the backup A/C down the wall. Turn the racks around and then install an additional unit behind the rack. allowing a blast of cold air directly at front and back of rack....

ideas???

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread