+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, I'm a real numpty when it comes to websites.... in Technical; Originally Posted by tarquel I do believe Mambo is still going tho - but I do like Joomla [hehe....:P @ ...
    Thank Post

Re: I'm a real numpty when it comes to websites....

Quote Originally Posted by tarquel
    I do believe Mambo is still going tho - but I do like Joomla

[hehe....:P @ tony]

Nath.
    Indeed it is Mambo is still in existance (with abolsutely none of its original developers). But I know who my money is on.......

Pete

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Politics in IT?
    No, politics in Open Source. I wouldn't worry though, most of the time we end up with better software as a result.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    Pandora's box indeed! I forgot to say that I am competent at HTML
    u did say postage stamp hehe.

Thank Post

I can't believe no-one has mentioned Macromedia, I personally can't live without Dreamweaver, freehand, fireworks and flash!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight
    I can't believe no-one has mentioned Macromedia, I personally can't live without Dreamweaver, freehand, fireworks and flash!
    ...probably because it costs £s!

(unless............)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Definately recommend the linux route. Setting the site up initially is pretty painless really. Depending on the CMS of course. Once you have the CMS up then the configuration is a whole new skillset to straight web design, and anyone could do it, that's the beauty.

You can get distros of linux ready to go to get you started. Even ones that'll run on a windows box if you really want. I've done that but you have to then re-create it on a 'proper' linux box in the end anyway, so i'd recommend going for the full thing straight off. It just saves time.

Thank Post

just go windows if you have a server thats not doign much whack IIS on it and your away.
    Dont need a CMS stick to a simple static HTML site if its only going to be a few pages. Once you have got to grips with HTML and you want to spruce it up then start to develop something else. No need setting up a linux box and going through hassle just for a simple first school site.
    .matt

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't recommend IIS if your planning to hook it up to the internet though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    And don't forget Moodle ... there is always room for Moodle.
    A bit like jelly really.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lol

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight
    I'm with you on that one.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    for what reason?
    No offence or anything but you can argue linux is better and yeah it probably is but then as 99.9% of my work is windows based its more of a hassle then anything to learn linux just so i can use it as a webserver.

As long as your firewall is setup correctly theres no reason why you cant use Windows and IIS for such a simple site. Infact theres no reason you cant use it for a dynamic site such as asp or the .NET framework.

personally i think the quote above is far too much a sweeping statement.
    .matt

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by intrigue
    for what reason?
    Because it is inherently insecure. Even worse if it's not in a DMZ. Once your IIS server on our internal network is compromised it could mean more problems for your other servers; more so on Windows/IIS.

Dreamweaver: Bad, non-standard code. And as soon as you start editing the code by hand it decides to change it to it's own way of doing things; and pretty soon, the "all-singing all-dancing What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get" program turns out to be "What You See Isn't Necessarrily What You Get".

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    for what reason?
    Because it is inherently insecure. Even worse if it's not in a DMZ. Once your IIS server on our internal network is compromised it could mean more problems for your other servers; more so on Windows/IIS.

Dreamweaver: Bad, non-standard code. And as soon as you start editing the code by hand it decides to change it to it's own way of doing things; and pretty soon, the "all-singing all-dancing What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get" program turns out to be "What You See Isn't Necessarrily What You Get".
    Bad non standard code? As far as im aware dreamweaver conforms to XHTML standards which a lot of others dont do or maybe thats dreamweaver 7 - 8 at least.

I think the thing people are forgetting here is that indiegirl has said that she is basically a newbie at webdesign and therefore with that in mind why is everyone suggesting more advanced ideas such as linux and in the above case saying that dreamweaver is not a good idea.

We switched from frontpage to macromedia studio last year and have had no complaints (but they why would you complain when you have been previously using frontpage haha).
    IIS is simple and can be setup within minutes compared to getting a seperate box for linux, havign to install it and then go through the learning curve with linux when already your jumping into webdesign
    Why try and learn too much when you can be quick and simple.
    If security is that much of an issue make the IIS server not part of your network and use it as a seperate box so if its compromised then its just the stuff on that box that has a problem.
    far more simpler then using any LAMP setup (Linux Apache mySQL PHP)
    .matt

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    for what reason?

IIS is much better than it was, I ran our website with it for 2 years. Version 6 though, I wouldn't do the same with 5.

Dreamweaver has the same problem as all web editors, as far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as wysiwyg for web pages. Exact positioning is always going to cause big problems. I had to resort to tables, I would have loved to do our site template as all css, but it wasn't possible. As nasty as they are, tables nearly always work in all browsers in the right way, and in the end a site that works is what we are aiming for.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast