+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Alternative to Mac software in Technical; Hi All I have asked to look at the provision of Apple hardware in the school - specifically iMacs and ...
    Thank Post

Alternative to Mac software

Hi All

I have asked to look at the provision of Apple hardware in the school - specifically iMacs and whether there is a case for replacing them with PC's. This really due to the fact that in a year or two we will have a lot that will need replacing and the costs of doing this are extortionate.

We use them in Art, Photography, Media and Music and the first two essentially use the Mac version of our CS5 site licence so I don't see any issues there. Where I am going to have a battle is in the last 2 where there is a perception that only Macs will do. Music use Garage Band but want to get licences for Logic Pro and Sibelius (which is available for PC). Media use a variety of software but predominately Adobe Premier.

What do you guys use and have you encountered any issues if you have moved away from Macs?

Cheers

Steve

Thank Post
    Hiya,

I can't comment with regards to the issues moving away etc, but I can advise on some software choices.

Obviously Garage Band is a nice piece of kit for schools, whether it's worth the extra that the Mac costs over a PC comes down to looking at software such as Abelton (https://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature-comparison/) with prices ranging from €79 - €599 depending on the edition (ok, those are consumer prices, I suspect they offer good educational discounts). In terms of Logic Pro, if they're looking at that kind of thing, then Ableton again would cover most of the feature set, however, you could go down the route of Pro Tools - which is available on PC and/or Mac - (Avid | Pro Tools Family).

Depending on the software Media use, I suspect there will be good equivalents for that too, most of which are probably covered in your CS5 Site License if they're using Premier and such, but if you list any other bits of software that are Mac only, I'm sure the collective we can find some good alternative pieces.

3. Thanks to soveryapt from:

truebluesteve (25th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Big +1 for Abelton here! Multi-format, and it's the most intuitive software out there. It will take the place of logic and garageband if used correctly.

Protools is great if a little expensive.

I do love a Mac for the music production side. but i've been using both windows and OsX for this for years and there's little to distinguish between them nowadays.

5. Thanks to ICTDirect_Dave from:

Thank Post
    cubase elements is pretty good for music for PC and not too expensive - we use that along with Sibelius.

7. Thanks to maark from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @truebluesteve:

We are looking at Garageband but on IPads as it is fairly cheap for the app and as our music dept only requires 5 it is a very cost effective way, as for Cubase and Sibelius we use them on windows 7 PC's coupled with an external soundcard device which works very well so no problems there.

Apple products are indeed very good but so costly and time consuming when coupled with another OS, I would definitely look into PC's as they are so much cheaper to run.

Regards
    Bossman

9. Thanks to bossman from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies - I shall take a look into the suggestions and pass my comments on to the relevant subject leaders. After putting my riot gear on first!

Thank Post
    Mac Mini's with nice screen? That is what i'm planning to do in our main IT suite for next year and use bootcamp to dual boot them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    Mac Mini's with nice screen? That is what i'm planning to do in our main IT suite for next year and use bootcamp to dual boot them.
    Let me know when you're thinking about implementing this and I'll get you some pricing

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread