+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Individual logins for 3 to 7 year olds in Technical; I'm trying to work out how to get our very young pupils logged in to their own AD account and ...

Thank Post

Individual logins for 3 to 7 year olds

I'm trying to work out how to get our very young pupils logged in to their own AD account and web accounts, especially the VLE. Currently they use an account per year group, which is easy for the teachers to manage - most lessons have groups of children using laptops in turn. AD isn't a massive issue, as they all have the same policies etc, but saving work to their home share, rather than a named folder in a network share would be simpler for them. They all have individual accounts on the VLE for use at home and the VLE has a single login per account, so when they share the year group account, they keep kicking each other out.

However, getting kids who can't read or type - quite a few don't recognise uppercase letters - is a challenge, and it must be done in a way that doesn't take half the lesson. I've been looking at biometric options, but the ones I've found seem to be applications on the client machines, rather than the server.

Has anyone cracked this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Our Reception children all have their own logins and rapidly learn their top secret 3 letter password... Lower case and exactly the same for the whole class... Shhh... Nobody else knows. It takes roughly 2 weeks to get the entire class logging in confidently.

When a child has a stupidly long or hard name to spell, we do shorten it with approval from family and teacher.

Our preschoolers don't have individual logins.

3. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

jmak (23rd June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Our Reception children all have their own logins and rapidly learn their top secret 3 letter password... Lower case and exactly the same for the whole class.
    Is that network or VLE passwords? I'd be concerned about them interfering with each others home pages and blogs etc. Or do I put the resource (my time) into monitoring the VLE more closely rather than contriving to make the accounts secure and usable?

And what about the three Jasmines in one class?

Not trying to be a pain, just want to learn from someone who's got a working solution
    Last edited by jmak; 23rd June 2013 at 10:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Without doubt all pupils should have their own usernames and passwords. Like Elsiegee40, I've supported reception classes in this approach and it reaps lots of benefits . See the first video on this page:
    Free Stuff | Catshill Learning Partnerships

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    I wish I could convince one of my schools - I suggested individual logins at least for years 5 and 6 but got nowhere. And since server 2008R2 and Win 7, whole class logons are leading to more and more issues with corrupt profiles that are driving me bats. I am not sure how the children cope when they go to senior school

Thank Post
    Every pupil here has their own login from year 0, they are given their alpha code and that forms their login and email address and does not change the whole time they are in school.

Thank Post
    It is simply storing up problems later on if you don't. I'll see if I can dig up some videos of reception children logging on. TIP: Ensure that classroom assistants are not "helping" pupils by logging on for them. I often have to remind them no to! It is not an exercise in speed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by catshilllearning View Post
    It is simply storing up problems later on if you don't.
    I know that. You know that. BUT THEY WON'T LISTEN (cue Kermit arms )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I know that. You know that. BUT THEY WON'T LISTEN (cue Kermit arms )
    That so needs to be a picture.... Hehe

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    Is that network or VLE passwords? I'd be concerned about them interfering with each others home pages and blogs etc. Or do I put the resource (my time) into monitoring the VLE more closely rather than contriving to make the accounts secure and usable?

And what about the three Jasmines in one class?

Not trying to be a pain, just want to learn from someone who's got a working solution
    The 3 Alicias were 09AliciaA, 09 AliciaS and 09 AliciaW
    The 2 Katharines were 08Kate and 08Kitty

We don't have a VLE, these are AD logins.

With server 2008 on you can OU level password policy, so toughen things up as they move through the school.

12. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

jmak (24th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Usually in early years classes the children quickly realise that the picture they painted has their first name and first initial of surname if there are more than one students with the same first name. Find out what convention the nursery teacher uses in that situation and match it in their username.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catshilllearning View Post
    Without doubt all pupils should have their own usernames and passwords. Like Elsiegee40, I've supported reception classes in this approach and it reaps lots of benefits . See the first video on this page:
    Free Stuff | Catshill Learning Partnerships
    I completely agree. I just need to make it look achievable.

Thank Post
    i know this is slightly underhand but if they all use say r make it so that once alog in once. a simple login/logout script should surfice (not tested just thinking out loud) and you would probably want some sort of message box explaining it

login

if exist \\server\share\r.txt shutdown /l
    copy \\server\othershare\r.txt \\server\share\r.txt /y

logoff

del \\server\share\r.txt /q

Thank Post
    The best way to do that is with a trial. Get half of the reception or year one children logging in and then repeat the exercise a week later and again the following week. Once your SLT can see how quickly the children pick it up, they'll be convinced. I also work with schools to draw up agreed login and password policies that are published on the school website.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information