+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Ownership and Permissions in Technical; This is an area I've usually not had to go into apart from changing or adding the odd permission fpor ...
    Thank Post

Ownership and Permissions

This is an area I've usually not had to go into apart from changing or adding the odd permission fpor access to a folder etc but I need to have access to some of the new users profile folders so I can change the ntuser file from dat to man. The system was originally set up so I could do this for the class profiles but not so I could change the staff profiles, which I've no need to do anyway. We have a couple of new classes created and I created the user accounts etc but find as administrator on the server I don't have permission to browse the new profile folders. Could anyone (please) tell me the idiots guide to resetting the ownership and permissions of these folders so I can change the files I need to. Screen shots if it gets a bit messy would be most welcome. I have to admit I was shown this very quickly when the system was first installed but as its not a regular task three years down the line I have to admit I've forgotten what was said ops:

Thank Post

Re: Ownership and Permissions

There is a group policy setting (its a machine setting), that causes the Administrators group to be added when roaming profiles are created. Well worth setting this one.

There is another group policy setting (machine again), that causes XP (not sure about 2K), to be less fussy about the ownership of files it finds in users' roaming profiles.

In essence, you need to do the following;

1 - Take ownership of the whole folder, making sure the changes apply to all files/folders
    2 - Add the Administrators group (or Domain Admins) to the folder and again, make sure the changes apply to all files/folders
    3 - Depending on whether or not you deploy the 2nd GP setting mentioned above, change the ownership of the whole folder and files back to the user to whom the profile should belong.

You should now be able to edit the profile.

Thank Post

Re: Ownership and Permissions

Thanks I'll try that next week. If I can change the ownership and permissions easily then I'll do that as its not very often I need to create new users and want to get at the profile.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread