+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, VOIP Vlan - Help Please in Technical; Hi All This week we've had our new VOIP phone system installed - well the box and a few phones ...
    Thank Post

VOIP Vlan - Help Please

Hi All

This week we've had our new VOIP phone system installed - well the box and a few phones intially so we can play with it until the full install in 3 or 4 weeks time. During that time I want so set up a seperate VOIP VLAN on our otherwise flat network. Now I have struggled with the concept of VLANs - you know how some stuff goes in easily and others...well not so easily!

With that in mind I need the help of the VLAN whizzes on here - of which there are many I'm sure. I have attached a little drawing that I made earlier which shows how the network is set up (very basic of course) and how I think the VLANs should be set up. The Avaya box has 2 NICs and one of these is set up to be a DHCP server for the phones. The phones we have installed all work but are all on the default VLAN at the moment, and it seems that that have to be initially to get an IP address (I assume that this is because the phone only look on VLAN 1 when they are started up).

Anyway, I'd appreciate any comments or tips you might have enormously (except on artistic ability!)

Thanks

Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post

Thank Post
    You can let your win server do the DHCP, just like we do.

Set a static IP for the avaya box, and VLAN off all the ports the phones are connected to. May sure your VLAN phone ports are tagged and if the switch is liked to another switch make sure the uplink port is also tagged and all switches back to your core switch. You can use access lists for inter VLAN communication in future.

On most HP switches, telnet into the switch, login, then. Enter CONFIG then for example if the phone is plugged into port 12 and the uplink is 24 and your VLAN ID is 20, you would type in:

VLAN 20 <enter>
    Tagged 12,24 <enter>
    Voice <enter>
    Exit <enter>

Then make sure you type LOGOUT then Y to save the config.

On your core switch setup the VLAN as above but set the IP address of the VLAN aswell.

I may have forgotten a few othe details but this is what I can remember of the top of my head.

4. Thanks to ass17 from:

truebluesteve (31st May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ass17 View Post
    You can let your win server do the DHCP, just like we do.

Set a static IP for the avaya box, and VLAN off all the ports the phones are connected to. May sure your VLAN phone ports are tagged and if the switch is liked to another switch make sure the uplink port is also tagged and all switches back to your core switch. You can use access lists for inter VLAN communication in future.

On most HP switches, telnet into the switch, login, then. Enter CONFIG then for example if the phone is plugged into port 12 and the uplink is 24 and your VLAN ID is 20, you would type in:

VLAN 20 <enter>
    Tagged 12,24 <enter>
    Voice <enter>
    Exit <enter>

Then make sure you type LOGOUT then Y to save the config.

On your core switch setup the VLAN as above but set the IP address of the VLAN aswell.

I may have forgotten a few othe details but this is what I can remember of the top of my head.
    Many thanks for this. With your DHCP server have you set up a different subnet configured for the IP phones. We also need to allow the Avaya box to talk to the outside world as we are using SIP trunks.

Thank Post
    Hi, yes we setup DHCP for the VLAN for VoIP

For VLAN 50 we used 172.17.50.*
    We excluded IPs 1-20 from the range as these were static IPs, 21-254 were totally DHCP.

Our avaya box is sitting on 172.17.50.5
    And voicemail pro box is 172.17.50.6

SIP trunks we don't use so can't offer any advice to our setup.

Thank Post
    Search google for "sip trunks with IP office" there are a few examples of creating trunks to other organisation trunks, may be useful for you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread