+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Server room temperature monitoring in Technical; Just had the a\c fail in our server room, I only noticed as one minor switch packed up! Does anyone ...

Thank Post

Server room temperature monitoring

Just had the a\c fail in our server room, I only noticed as one minor switch packed up! Does anyone have a monitor that would email out when it hits a threshold?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've got a CM-2 from The Climate - it's setup so it sends a SMS text alert (via an e-mail gateway) if certain thresholds are exceeded. Monitors Light, Sound, Humidity and Temperature out of the box but you can add extra sensors and cameras on it.

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    We've got a CM-2 from The Climate - it's setup so it sends a SMS text alert (via an e-mail gateway) if certain thresholds are exceeded. Monitors Light, Sound, Humidity and Temperature out of the box but you can add extra sensors and cameras on it.

Pete
    Same here.... Very good piece of kit!

Thank Post
    Have a look at the APC NetBotz kit, its really good and not badly priced either.

Thank Post
    I have Temperature @lert it is a USB device that will send emails for high and low temps.

Not to highjack the thread, but what is a good temp for the server room? I have one room that gets into the high 80's low 90's (30 - 35) if I do not keep the door open in the summer.

Thanks,

Thank Post
    You might be able to configure nagios to do something - maybe using the server motherboard/ambient temp sensor?
    Some switches can also monitor temperature - I don't know if there's some way maybe of using snmp to monitor that, again maybe with nagios or similar.
    Ideal server room temp - I was always told the lower the better although aircon costs can make it very expensive.
    Lateral thinking is, locate the server room on the North side of the building, possibly using louvred but secure vents to the outside with an extract fan on a temp sensor. It always amuses me to see schools who have installed an extract fan in the (completely sealed) server room with no inlet vent. How does that work?
    Which reminds me, it's so annoying to see brand new schools (BSF PFI) with IT Suites on the south side of a building, massive non-opening windows and then aircon installed afterwards to remove the heat. grrrr. Do architects do it on purpose?

I'd be a bit concerned about temps above 20-25 deg C. 30-35 sounds a bit much!
    I'd also think about humidity - I'd assume that drier is better to avoid oxidising contacts and increase heat dissipation, but low humidity does increase the effect of static electricity.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    ive used room alert before, nice and robust and customizable

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dana_lehman View Post
    I have Temperature @lert it is a USB device that will send emails for high and low temps.

Not to highjack the thread, but what is a good temp for the server room? I have one room that gets into the high 80's low 90's (30 - 35) if I do not keep the door open in the summer.

Thanks,
    Have a look at what the kit says it's happy with it's really consistency that's the key.

Ben

Thank Post
    We use it as well.

Thank Post
    We've got a monitor that plugs into our APC UPS and monitors temp via powerchute, it performs shut downs based on a temp threshold set in the software.

We lost Aircon a few months ago as sites were working on the electric and had the phase off on a Saturday (didn't tell IT) and they forgot to turn it back on again, the first we knew was when the Equalogic SAN's, EMC SAN and blade centres started emailing about temperature. This would have been picked up in the week but at a weekend it was lucky that I checked my email when I saw 130 new emails on my phone.

This highlighted the fact that we needed propper warnings so the BMS system has now been configured to automatically SMS message the duty caretaker, head of IT and head of estates should anything happen again as this has temp monitors in the server room but nothing had been configured, and the APC module bought for the UPS.

We were lucky in that we didn't loose anything despite seeing intake temps of 70 degrees reported but it doesn't mean that the serviceable life of components hasn't been reduced and we will get premature failures down the line.

Thank Post

Pete
    Same here, although it took a Air Con failure to get it

Thank Post
    I like the idea to get a temperature warning system, but looking at the costs, I might just create one out of an arduino/netduino... That should keep the costs down.

Meldrew

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dana_lehman View Post
    A temperature range of 16–24 C (61–75 F) and humidity range of 40–55% with a maximum dew point of 15 C.

Thank Post
    I've been looking at the offering from Ubiquiti - mFi. Could get an mPort, and temperature sensor for less than 100. Could then add another two sensors to the mPort to make more use of it such as a PIR/door sensor so we could log when the server room door is opened or movement in there, or a current sensor so we can monitor power usage of the UPS and equipment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    A temperature range of 16–24 C (61–75 F) and humidity range of 40–55% with a maximum dew point of 15 C.
    A Dell salesperson told me the other day that Dell's new server range is designed to run "at room temperature", which I guess means you can set the thermostat on the airconditioning to 24C and leave them to it. I don't know how badly temperature affects battery performance on UPSes - our UPS batteries seemed to fail very quickly (about 18 months), and they should last longer than that. Our air conditioning is not up to the job, but we're now moving the whole server cupboard over the summer. We have issues installing a decent airconditioning unit with an external heat exchanger as we're right in a residential area, in a listed building, with neigbour's windows very close (a couple of metres). We might go for a snazzy water-cooled air conditioning unit in our new server cupboard, which transfers the heat to water from the mains - and you can even use that "waste" water and put it into a hot water tank for later.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast