+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Classroom Logins - What are Best Practices in Technical; Firstly apologies if this is posted in the wrong section. Being very new to the education sector what are the ...

Thank Post

Classroom Logins - What are Best Practices

Firstly apologies if this is posted in the wrong section. Being very new to the education sector what are the best practices for creating pupil network logins. It seems that there are combined classroom based logins and individual logins here with varying degrees of passwords!! I would very much like to standardise the method but really need some guidance please on the preferred method. At the moment both teachers and pupils are frustrated (understandably). Thank you very much for your advice.

Thank Post
    We have it setup as student last name and first initial. Just a random password for each student. Teachers sign in with last name first initial and random password. If I would have set it up it. I would have setup a random password for both and I would have kept a log of all. Made it where they couldn't change there password, So I could just tell them their password when they forget. Which seems to happen a lot.

Thank Post
    We use the first initial / surname for both teachers and pupils i.e. SSmith for Sandra Smith. We're a small school, so conflicts are rare, and when they arise a middle name initial is used. If they have no middle name I'd probably just add an incremental number, or the second letter of their name.

Pupils are started off with a password of "student" (all staff know this) and then forced to change their password on first login. I see no reason they shouldn't be able to have their own, and think it's important they learn to create and remember, and be responsible for them.

Thank Post
    For us, staff have their first initial and their last name. Until last year, students had the year of their enrollment, followed by their surname, so for example mine was 07collins. However this changed last year whereby the usernames & passwords for AD are pulled from our VLE (fronter) so that the students don't have to remember more than one login.

Thank Post
    We use last name and first initial with year of entry for students eg BloggsJ13. For staff we just use first initial and last name. For both we set the password to the school name which they are forced to change at first logon.

Thank Post
    Year of entrollment / first initial / first 2 last initials / dob

00jbl3004 for example

and staff are last name / first initiall

bloggsj for example

Quite a large school so this avoids conflicts....at least until two twins come along with first names that start with the same letter (only happened once in 7 years though haha)

Thank Post
    Hi,

For us as we understood that having email addresses which identify students is a child protection issue, we have:
    Year of entry,Tutor,admission number
    So, for example
    12ABC1234

Meldrew

Thank Post
    Thank you very much everyone for your advice. With regard to the passwords do they have to meet the MS complexity requirements for the pupils and is the management overhead of resetting pupil passwords on a regular basis a big one as opposed to me setting one with no expiry? Thanks.

Thank Post
    we use first initial then last name for example 'jbloggs'

If two have same name or same letter of first name then we add a middle initial, for example 'jabloggs'

This usually works and havent had any issues so far, The next way of doing it was to add a number on the end.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    we use first initial then last name for example 'jbloggs'

If two have same name or same letter of first name then we add a middle initial, for example 'jabloggs'

This usually works and havent had any issues so far, The next way of doing it was to add a number on the end.
    Nice to know we're not the only ones. I should probably mention that pupil's emails use a different system contrived by the LEA, and see very little use.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    Thank you very much everyone for your advice. With regard to the passwords do they have to meet the MS complexity requirements for the pupils and is the management overhead of resetting pupil passwords on a regular basis a big one as opposed to me setting one with no expiry? Thanks.
    Here, we don't set any complexity requirements for student passwords, and with the students creating their own, I see virtually no students forgetting them. It only happens after the Summer Hols, and I'd hazard a guess that they're much less likely to forget something they made than something that means nothing to them. But I've been known to be wrong!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread