+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Kindle eBooks...HELP!!!! in Technical; Hi All Been asked to find the best way to distribute 2 eBooks from Kindle to all the teachers iPads ...

Thank Post

Kindle eBooks...HELP!!!!

Hi All

Been asked to find the best way to distribute 2 eBooks from Kindle to all the teachers iPads (alot). How do you guys do it? If you have. Or is it a case of buying them individually?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by mike86; 8th May 2013 at 01:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike86 View Post
    Hi All

Been asked by our head to distribute 2 eBooks from Kindle to all the teachers iPads (alot). How do you guys do it? If you have. Or is it a case of buying them individually?

Thanks
    We looked into this a while back and it actually boiled down to us having to buy the books individually to ensure nothing was infrindged upon

Thank Post
    Last time we looked Amazon didn't do volume licensing for Kindle books, so we have to buy a gift voucher, buy the books and then 'gift' them to the indiviual accounts associated to the Kindles. It's got so cumbersome that I think they've stopped updating them.

Thank Post
    iirc you can only have a kindle file on 5 devices concurrently

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JonThompson View Post
    Last time we looked Amazon didn't do volume licensing for Kindle books, so we have to buy a gift voucher, buy the books and then 'gift' them to the indiviual accounts associated to the Kindles. It's got so cumbersome that I think they've stopped updating them.
    This is true and the same for the now 'Mac Apps' in the sence although there are ways round officially according to apple you cant buy a site licence and all licences have to be bought individually and attributed to individual apple users id's. Yes you read that correctly so if you had 100 macs that all needed logic the offical guidelines are that you would need 100 apple user id's

Alot of these processes have become cumbersome as strangley the market has directed their efforts to appease the home user end of the market and they seem to ahve forgotten bussiness and educational establishment needed. Crazy if you ask me!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike86 View Post
    Hi All

Been asked by our head to distribute 2 eBooks from Kindle to all the teachers iPads (alot). How do you guys do it? If you have. Or is it a case of buying them individually?

Thanks
    You can register five ipads to one account and then stick the ebook on the amazon cloud drive, it can then be synced to each connected ipad. I'm not sure of a way of syncing more without buying the book on seperate accounts

Thank Post
    If you have an Amazon account and you purchase a book through them, it will sync to any device you've installed the Kindle app to? I purchased a couple of books through Amazon, installed Kindle to 6 Nexus devices this morning, logged in with existing Amazon account, and those books showed on all devices as it syncs as soon as you start the app. Only had 6 though, not sure if there is a limit of 6. I'll test it with the ipads next week.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Singist View Post
    If you have an Amazon account and you purchase a book through them, it will sync to any device you've installed the Kindle app to? I purchased a couple of books through Amazon, installed Kindle to 6 Nexus devices this morning, logged in with existing Amazon account, and those books showed on all devices as it syncs as soon as you start the app. Only had 6 though, not sure if there is a limit of 6. I'll test it with the ipads next week.
    How does this deal with licensing? I would have thought you would need to buy as many books as ipads.

Thank Post
    I emailed support and got a reply.. of such. Some places I have read you have to make a personal account for everyone as the app is for personal use only. others suggest you can do as below. Bit confused especially with the iBooks being personal copies also.

Hello,

I understand that you wish to use Kindle App for iPads to view books.

Yes, you can install Kindle App for iPads to view books.

Please be informed that, there is no limit on the number of times a title can be downloaded to a registered Kindle device or Kindle-compatible device running a Kindle application, but there may be limits on the number of Kindle devices and applications (usually 6) that can simultaneously use a single book.

Thank Post
    I saw this article today on an educational website. It would seem that the Kindle books are for for home/personal use and not education.

There have been a few questions recently both on this page and on the SLN Network about using Kindles in schools. Initially Kindles seem to offer many possibilities, with up to 6 Kindles sharing one account, and many schools invested in them; recently Amazon have clarified their position. Amazon states that Kindles are for personal use only; and it is breaking the terms of your agreement to lend the Kindles and the books out. For very clear statement of what the current position is, see the JISC Legal Team statement and the School Library Association statement (for members, log in and look for e-resources). If you have already bought Kindles then you are in a difficult position. If you haven’t, then consider buying Kobo’s or other ereaders which are not tied to specific accounts (Nook is tied to Barnes and Noble). Until Amazon change their position, then using Kindles in schools may put you in a difficult position (UK). Please don’t contact me with any legal questions as I am not a lawyer; please contact JISC, Amazon or the SLA. This update does not constitute legal advice; if your school has concerns then it needs to contact a lawyer directly.

Thank Post
    @laserblazer Do you have a link to that site? Thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JonThompson View Post
    @laserblazer Do you have a link to that site? Thanks.
    Using Kindles in schools – update | Heart of the School

13. Thanks to laserblazer from:

JonThompson (17th October 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread